#879095 by samfarmer
28 Jul 2014, 06:20
First venture with Cathay Pacific and I was traveling in their new (ish) Premium Economy cabin on an airbus a330.

A few observations.
I forgot that not all airports are like London VA and basically you can check your bag in when ever you arrive at the airport. For a 23:00 flight, I was far too early, and being the last day of Ramadan, not a person to be found in Dubai Airport.

I about turned jumped on the driverless metro and headed for Dubai Mall - bit of a 'does what it says in the tin' name there!

Headed back to airport for 1830 arrived 1900 and still no sign of cx staff. Had a very long Costa coffee, hidden behind screens as not to offend those fasting.
Dubai is undergoing massive refurbishments in terminal one, so only toilets available were the airport employees bathrooms in the usually closed off forbidden areas. Actually had to wander through the virgin office to get to the male bathroom - they must love that!!

I digress... The flight....
So, it would seem that cx have not quite figured out how to treat their PE customers. Are they ec paying a bit more, or are they a premium guest, needing a premium service... They need to take a va flight I think!

They claim to have deactivated boarding, but there was no distinct line when boarding was announced. Instead, we literally had to fight our way passed the economy pax ... Something which was appreciated as I'm sure you can imagine.... Also aware that PE share bathrooms with economy on the a330, so really did not like the ideas of annoying too many folk at once.

Boarding was emotional, but I was on and sat down pretty swiftly. You access PE and ec through the business section b so had a good look at what was on offer... I'll be honest, it looked a little tired. The seat was not herringbone, so on the plus side, it probably felt more secluded... Actual patrician walls and boundaries.

PE was next and actually nice. 2-3-2 config and plenty of room. The seat was very similar to the va craft but with a more advanced entertainment system. Plugs and USB charging points, along with a number of random storage areas, again... Va could learn something here if they were to think about enhancing their PE model at any point.

Food seemed nice, but I had used my pp membership and found a half decent lounge... I think it's the one va upper use.

Fight was a little bumpy and the crew annoyingly retrieved headphones a good 20 mins before landing, but left the tvs on.... Subtitles it was!

Now sat in Hong Hong premium plaza lounge waiting a mere 7 hours in transit to Auckland, again in PE with cx... This time on a a340.
It's funny, va have ruined this aircraft as I automatically think of the 1990s style horrors that va still fly in this classification.