#879206 by welsheagle
30 Jul 2014, 13:23
Checked in around the t-24 hour mark and made Sequence 5 only. Poor show.

The 7am departure required a horribly early start from home along a quiet M4 stretch of South Wales. My Satnav took me along many little country lanes until reaching a jam-packed parking lot at Bristol airport.
Why are there always idiots who think they have the right to take up 2 parking spaces?

No waiting at the check-in counter and had soon dropped off my suitcase and joined one of the long queues for security. Although it was manic, it was fully staffed and I was soon through and on my way for breakfast.

I tried the free 30 minutes of Wi-Fi but just could not get on but it, at least, passed some time until the gate number came up.

BMI Regional are parked some way from the terminal so it meant a bus ride to the aircraft but, fortunately, everyone was ready and off we went on a scenic tour of the airport and on to the little all white ERJ145.

I was in seat A9 which is the single seat on the left.
The interior is starting to show its age now but more in the drab colour scheme than in any damage or wear to the seats, carpets or sidewalls.

With everyone on board, we were ready to go early but it was fairly busy and we eventually pushed back on time. While waiting, I noticed that Bristol seem to hold departing aircraft for some time between take-offs. Not sure why.
Anyway, we were soon making a noise down runway 16 heading out over the Bristol Channel towards Cardiff, then heading up to Brecon, on towards Manchester where we made a right turn towards Newcastle and then a left up to Aberdeen.

While it was clear until over the Beacons, it was overcast most of the way after that so not much to see en-route.

The last time I flew this route, there was just a single CC but today we had 2 friendly, smiling ladies who, once we were airborne were soon down the aisle handing out little cardboard boxes containing a cold croissant, a miniature yoghurt covered health bar and a block of cheese, all washed down with coffee (or tea, fruit juice, water, etc).

For some reason, it was quite noticeable how the aircraft sort of rocked from side to side. I’m sure they all do it but this is the first time I have ever noticed it. Not that it was uncomfortable or scary or motion sickness inducing…..

Descent took us through some fairly thick cloud although not really bumpy and an early flare and thump on to the runway, parking up on stand 8 a couple of minutes early, behind a FlyBe ERJ170.

We were quickly off the plane and into the terminal. Aberdeen has this strange layout where you have to walk through the departure lounge to the other end of the building where there is a single carousel. Fortunately, my suitcase came through fairly quickly and was one of the last before the belt came to a sudden halt leaving a great many people from both flights worrying and stressed about the location of their luggage.

All in all, a good flight with a cheerful crew which got us to where we had paid to go in good time, safely and (mostly) comfortably. I was never a fan of BMI in the old days but I do think BMI Regional is doing it right and will build up a loyal fan base.
#879217 by welsheagle
30 Jul 2014, 17:27
Enjoy your holiday Daffodil. Hope the sun shines for you.
#879249 by welsheagle
31 Jul 2014, 18:10
Sealink, I have only had 3 flights with them but I have had no complaints at all.

Daffodil, meant to say that if you are flying Easyjet, I would get there quite a bit earlier. There was a massive queue at their counters and I estimated the pax had at least an hour before they were going to make it to the front and probably a bit longer even. And that was at 05:30
#879254 by Daffodil
31 Jul 2014, 19:13
Thanks Welsheagle for the advice. We are flying with Ryanair. We have already done on line check in, but intend to get there a bit earlier in case security takes longer + leave enough time to visit the lounge to make use of our Priority Pass.
Virgin Atlantic