#879211 by mitchja
30 Jul 2014, 16:13
I'd planned a quick trip down to Palm Springs for a few days to say hello to a friend who lives there.

Originally I wanted VX, but they only fly to PSP seasonally :# Booked this flight via Expedia.co.uk. Alaska where the cheapest for this short flight.

Online check-in done and checked baggage paid for ($25 per bag in economy) via the Alaska Airlines iOS app the day before.

Seat selection can be done either online via their website or via the app as soon as you book - take note VS!!

Arrived at SFO T1 via the BART + Airtrain. Found AS check-in and was in no time I was checked in. AS are another airline offering iOS PassBook and mobile boarding passes. Security at SFO was again fast and efficient. A couple of places to buy food and shops etc in the concourse area. Free WiFi everywhere in SFO.

The incoming flight soon arrived (I believe AS fly this route from SEA via SFO to PSP and back daily). An announcement was made saying today's flight was full, therefore, they where looking for volunteers to check-in any bags with wheels free of charge to collect at the carousel in PSP. Boarding soon started and seemed very efficient as they where boarding via row numbers. I was in row 11 (the nearest economy row to the front I could grab at the time of booking that wasn't reserved for pax with FF status). Economy starts as row 8 as there are 3 rows in First.

Flight pushed back on time and would be 1hr 10mins today.

No IFE but they do offer the GoGo WiFi service on pretty much all their aircraft. Aircraft was a 737, not sure of the variant sorry.

During the flight water and orange juice where complimentary and there was the option to purchase wine or beer (card payments only). No food service on this short flight.

The crew all seemed warm and friendly. Service was good and this flight did exactly what it said on the tin.

Before long where where approaching PSP and landed on schedule.

I love Palm Springs airport :D . It's nice and relaxed with a lot of it being open-air. I can see why it often wins awards for passenger satisfaction. A short walk to the baggage carousals, bags started coming off within a few minutes and then to the Alamo rental counter to pick my car hire up (booked via VS)

All in all a good flight and good service offered by Alaska.

You have to ask yourself though why VX only fly to PSP seasonally as I was talking to someone who said the daily AS flights are often full this time of year ?|

I, of course, got the blame for the unseasonal rain they had that day. It also rained briefly the day I left as well, but other than that is was very hot, though I coped much better than I thought I would being plastered in factor 50+ sunblock and staying the the shade when outdoors in the 40'C+ temps ;)
#879215 by slinky09
30 Jul 2014, 17:08
I've flown on AS SFO-PSP quite a few times. United also do the route but on RJs which are cramped and uncomfortable. The AS flight, as you say, coming from Seattle is however subject to delays quite often, but at the same time it's a much better choice.

IIRC As has actually reduced the number of flights to PSP in recent years, I think that many who go there take other options. Another reason is that in the 110F+ summer there are many fewer travellers. This may be why VX doesn't do it year round, but also why AS maintains a good load (as other airlines cut back).