#879267 by getinjonathan
31 Jul 2014, 22:19
It seems the only benefit of flying Delta domestic is the tier points you can rack up for your VS card.

No lounge access for first/business customers (you need status to access) no food on board (during the hours we flew, 3.20pm) and only peanuts and snacks to hand out. I've flown Delta First from ATL to LGA after 5pm and was fed. The flight was delayed due to a ground stop at LGA and then a storm in MIA. They really do offer an appalling service in terms of what I've mentioned. On this flight, only saved by an amazing flight leader. Why on earth there is no meal served when flying at 3pm is beyond me, not even a sandwich - the cost of a ticket is still the same. I will not be choosing Delta First/Business again. On the flip, I took a flight on American from SFO to MIA just days earlier at the same hours and was served lunch. The seats are slightly wider, but nothing to shout about, it made me wonder why on earth we paid for First/Business.

We did however gain access to the lounge because I flashed my VS GC at the desk attendant at the Sky Lounge. Whether he made a mistake or not I've no idea as we had no continuing international journey.

Appalling, never again. Zero brand alliance as far as I am concerned.
#879273 by Hamster
01 Aug 2014, 01:42
Thanks for the TR. It's shame you didn't think much of the flight.

We flew AA in march MIA-EWR in First, departed at 13:05 and were fed, also got lounge access via Marco Polo Gold status. We though that was a good flight with Gogo WiFi.
#879278 by hiljil
01 Aug 2014, 08:32
Oh dear how disappointing for you. The words First Class send a shiver of excitement through me and for it not to live up to expectations is a real shame. And you were leaving from the ghastly airport that is MIA just to add to it !!
Better luck on your next trip !
#879323 by mrsw
01 Aug 2014, 16:33
What a shame! I do find that US airlines tend to offer less comfort/perks in all cabins compared to their European/Asian counterparts. I guess when a lot of the upgrades are free based on status, people don't expect as much, and of course their expectations are probably lower if they haven't experienced the offerings from other non-US airlines.

I was recently on a 4-hour domestic flight with DL in Y, where no food was served at all. I checked that online prior to travelling so managed to buy something prior to flying, but it was really quite a surprise to me. I know it's domestic and all, but 4 hours is a long time (plus the waiting around, boarding etc) to not be given any food.

The bright side is that when I was served 2 meals on a DL long-haul, I barely ate any. And I'd like to think that I'm one of the least fussy eaters there ever are. So perhaps you dodged a bullet there...
#879331 by getinjonathan
01 Aug 2014, 18:57
mrsw wrote:What a shame! I do find that US airlines tend to offer less comfort/perks in all cabins compared to their European/Asian counterparts. I guess when a lot of the upgrades are free based on status, people don't expect as much, and of course their expectations are probably lower if they haven't experienced the offerings from other non-US airlines.

I was recently on a 4-hour domestic flight with DL in Y, where no food was served at all. I checked that online prior to travelling so managed to buy something prior to flying, but it was really quite a surprise to me. I know it's domestic and all, but 4 hours is a long time (plus the waiting around, boarding etc) to not be given any food.

The bright side is that when I was served 2 meals on a DL long-haul, I barely ate any. And I'd like to think that I'm one of the least fussy eaters there ever are. So perhaps you dodged a bullet there...

HAHA! Perhaps! Actually recalling the meal I was served on the DL ATL-LGA flight was a lump of fried chicken.
Virgin Atlantic