#879311 by welsheagle
01 Aug 2014, 14:48
BMI Regional allow OLCI up to 48 hours before the flight so I was in as soon as it opened and managed, for the first time in my life, to snag Sequence Number 1.

Taxi arranged for pick-up from the hotel, time for a quick breakfast and off to Aberdeen Dyce through the beautiful Scottish countryside.

The BMIR desks were empty so it took about 2 minutes and I was on my way to Security. Not like Bristol this time. A few travellers, mainly oil workers and I was through that part of the journey in a couple of minutes as well.
Enough time in hand for a coffee and a chance to sit by the window watching the coming and goings on the apron.

The arrivals board was showing the incoming flight as being about 15 minutes late but watching on Flight Radar 24, I could see her approaching from the sea so knew she was almost going to be on time.

Boarding was quick and we were ready ahead of time, again, for push and start. What is it about BMIRegional passengers - they never seemed to get 'lost' in the terminal and are always on board in plenty of time.

For anoraks like me, Aberdeen is a great airport because you get to see aircraft which no longer come to the bigger airports - ATPs, Shorts, Saab 340s, etc and it is probably even more exciting for the flingwing enthusiasts with all the choppers buzzing around.

Departure was a bit bumpy but nothing uncomfortable and we were soon above the clouds heading south. The aircraft was probably have 50% full and the single CC soon served the little cardboard box (see BM1801 TR) and coffee and I could settle down with the Telegraph crossword.

Before I could finish it, we were on the descent, coming in over Gwent, crossing the Severn Estuary continuing north of Bristol to loop around for an approach from the east.

Landing was a bit smoother this time - none of the gung-ho flaring at 40ft and dropping like a stone to test the shock absorbers this time.

Something I have noticed about landing at Bristol is that there seems to be a competition to see who can stop in the shortest distance. No sooner than all 3 sets of wheels were on the ground than everyone became intimately acquainted with the seat back in front of them as maximum braking was applied. Nothing unusual and you could see it is a common event as quite a few of us walking cargo were already braced for it.

The bus soon pulled up and everyone deplaned and were taken to the terminal where the single belt was about to work overtime with the arrival of 2 Easyjet flights and ours.
I felt like rushing out to buy a Euromillions ticket when my suitcase appeared as number 3 and I was up, up and away while most were still turning on mobile phones, reading messages, looking apprehensive about lost luggage, etc.

The drive home was ok as the promised downpours never materialised and the only hiccup was the usual queues at the totally inefficient tolls coming into Wales.
Looking forward to the next flight to Aberdeen with BMIRegional which should be in a couple of months.

They really are a great little airline.