#880189 by Kraken
13 Aug 2014, 15:59
So, it was time to return to the UK again from a very hot Dubai. The Ski Dubai electronic advert on Sheik Zayed Road said it was 42C in Dubai yesterday – can easily believe that.

Got a taxi to the airport and was dropped at the dedicated Emirates Business / First class check-in area. The check-in area was very quiet indeed, but like all things Dubai, spotlessly clean and efficient. Straight up to a desk, bag dropped and advised that the flight had been allocated gate C17 (had done OLCI). C17 is a nice long walk too.

Through security and up to the departures level to make the walk to C17, making a couple of duty free stops on the way (as there are one or two shops to choose from there!) The Business Class lounge near C17 was closed, so got into the First Class lounge instead. It was nothing special to be honest, but free food and drink – certainly not a Clubhouse though. (I suspect the EK Business / First lounges in Concourse A, the A380 hub are a different matter).

After about half an hour I happened to look at the screens and the flight had been moved to gate B11. Time for another long walk back to the Business lounge in concourse B. Got there in time to have one beer before it was time to head down to B11. Went through the ID / boarding pass check & downstairs at B11 to the holding area, following the signs for First / Business and got to the front where an “I love my job” employee looked at us in a “what are you doing here?” way and just said “we’re not boarding yet” v( . (The signs upstairs at B11 all said Boarding). About 10mins later, Mr ILMJ decided it was time to board, made a quick announcement and let us on.

Onboard to what was clearly a slightly newer 777 then the outbound flight (same J seat, but with the wood effect surround as opposed to the white plastic). Settled into 7A, where newspapers and drinks were offered. Pushed back about 20mins late as we had been waiting for some delayed transfer passengers / their bags.

During the taxi out, the cabin was secured, with the exception of the A/B/D seats in the mini-cabin I was in. The crew member responsible for E/F/J/K seats went round removing papers / blankets / bags from the floor area & putting them in the overhead bins. The crew member responsible for A/B/D missed this task – people [not me] took off with stuff on the floor in the “No Stowage” area.

After take-off, the drinks orders were quickly taken, delivered & kept topped up (OK, I was on the Champagne). For lunch I had the smoked salmon, which was a very generous portion & very nice. Followed this up with the Seafood machbous – something I have never had before, but again, very nice indeed. Only negative comment about the food was the bread rolls, I think they had been quarried somewhere in Dubai – to say they were hard & chewy is a bit of an understatement. I was pretty full by now so skipped dessert (asking them to save a chocolate ganache cake for later) and went onto the cheese. As with the outbound, the cheese was excellent. Emirates certainly do a good cheeseboard with a selection of 5 cheeses & generous portions too. Chocolates were handed out on the other side of the cabin, but not ours – we had to ask for them.

Cabin went into quiet mode and it was time to use ICE. I actually watched my first Harry Potter film end-to-end yesterday and really enjoyed it, so will have to get the box-set sometime. (Have done the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando many times, so it was good to recognize things from the ride).

A very smooth flight followed – about 2hrs out of Manchester the crew came round offering afternoon tea. The saved chocolate ganache cake appeared for me, along with scones, cream & jam. Very nice they were too and ensured I left the flight full. 20mins out of MAN the seatbelt light came on and the crew secured the cabin – including our crew member doing the A/B/D seats this time – I just said to him “shouldn’t you have done that before takeoff too?” and he went bright red.

The “20mins to landing” turned out to be 30mins as we did a lot of circling at various points of the final descent. Smooth landing and taxi straight into gate 12. 2 jet-bridges docked to the aircraft – they got the one at door L2 on first, so the Business passengers were off ahead of First.

I dread to think what first time visitors to the UK’s first impression must be if arriving at MAN T1 from Dubai. MAN T1 is a dump compared to Dubai airport. (T2 is marginally better). Anyway, through UK Border in about 5mins (no e-gates working, again) and down to the baggage hall. The belt was just starting and within 5mins I had my bag and was out through customs and turning left for the chauffeur drive pickup. Back home in the Midlands about 80mins later.

So with the exception of one slightly forgetful crew member, this was another good Business Class flight with Emirates. The food, drink & IFE are all better than Virgin. Seat-wise I prefer the original UCS to the Emirates seat, but would take the Emirates seat over UCDS any day, even if I have to step over someone to get to the aisle.

I know who I will be flying with for my next Dubai trip… and it won’t be Virgin. Too much hassle to get to LHR from the Midlands for an amazing Clubhouse experience, followed by UCDS onboard. Emirates, whilst not perfect, is far more convenient for me.
#880191 by Dubaiification
13 Aug 2014, 16:49
Thanks for the report. The business lounges of EK in Dubai aren't as encompassing as the Clubhouse but to be fair to them they do a good job vs the amount of the passengers.

Have you tried QR? Good flights to MAN from DXB with a nice little stop in probably one of the world's best airports.
#880265 by horburyflyer
14 Aug 2014, 21:01
Thanks for a really good read. You are certainly selling Emirates to me. I still haven't tried them but have heard mixed reports, but though patchy in parts, sounds good overall.

They certainly seem to know how to feed people and I have seen their cheeseboards online in other trip reports and they look fantastic.

I just might have to give them a go as I still use LHR and VS for my Dubai trips which travelling from Yorkshire is not always that convenient.

Thanks again for posting.

Jon :)