#881479 by horburyflyer
30 Aug 2014, 16:35
So it was time to leave hot and sticky Florida for the cooler New York area, well a little cooler!!

Checked in at MCO without any fuss, offered the option to purchase a day pass for the Delta Skyclub but at $50 just didn't feel worth it but good on the agent trying to upsell.... :w

Fast-track could be used but was totally pointless because this then joins the the rest of the queue after the ID check, so no time saved at all and it took about 20mins to get through.

A stop at Starbucks for a coffee and a cheese Danish and soon enough it was time to board, the aircraft had arrived early from Atlanta. From the screen in the gate-area I was the only one who had actually paid to sit in First class, as all 20 other seats were assigned as upgrades. You can certainly see why those with status do not pay to fly first class with Delta.

Priority boarding began but some thought they deserved to be on-board first which led to a little pushing and shoving and some remarks about how some people think they are more important than others..... v(

No welcome at the door which I find is usual on US airlines and quickly took my seat by the window in 3F. A small blanket and pillow were on be seat along with a small bottle of water on the armrest. My neighbour was also settling in.

Pre-take off beverages in plastic cups were offered and accepted and some asked for more which were also granted. Push back was a couple of minutes late and it was announced this was a completely full flight.

Once airborne- hot towels were offered following by billboard headphones to enjoy the seat-back on demand entertainment which by all accounts doesn't normally feature on this route, so a bit of a treat for those regular flyers.

Drinks were offered with a choice of peanuts, biscoff cookies or pretzels and were served in glassware. My G&T came nice and strong :w

A thin table cloth was placed on the table which signalled the start of lunch, the options of cold fried chicken or a pastrami sandwich were offered. The fried chicken was huge and came with potato salad, a dish of fruit salad, some crackers and a delicious portion of tiramisu.

More drinks were offered through the meal and indeed throughout the flight. The crew were not overly friendly but were efficient and got the job done.

Arrival into Newark came after a flight time of 2hrs24mins. Another solid Delta flight, the crew could have been friendlier I thought but it wouldn't put me off flying with them again when next in the US.
Last edited by horburyflyer on 30 Aug 2014, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
#881482 by hiljil
30 Aug 2014, 16:42
Thank you for the TR. I am always interested in hearing about First Class flights - this one didn't sound like it had the wow factor. How comfortable were the seats ?
#881488 by horburyflyer
30 Aug 2014, 17:24
hiljil wrote:Thank you for the TR. I am always interested in hearing about First Class flights - this one didn't sound like it had the wow factor. How comfortable were the seats ?

The seat was just "ok".....a seat pitch of 37inches and a width of 21" ...nothing fantastic but ok for a flight of this length.
#881500 by ultreen1
30 Aug 2014, 19:56
Interesting read, didn't you get access to the lounge on a first class ticket?
I've been looking at delta first internals and some flights are very good value.
Darren
#881503 by horburyflyer
30 Aug 2014, 20:27
ultreen1 wrote:Interesting read, didn't you get access to the lounge on a first class ticket?
I've been looking at delta first internals and some flights are very good value.
Darren

Sadly Darren First class travel doesn't afford automatic access to lounges in the US, access is by high tier status with the carrier, sadly AU doesn't qualify you either which is a pitty though at MCO the Delta Skyclub is a rather basic affair v(

I find Delta do have some very good fares available in FIrst class.

Jon
#881506 by ultreen1
30 Aug 2014, 20:32
horburyflyer wrote:
ultreen1 wrote:Interesting read, didn't you get access to the lounge on a first class ticket?
Darren

Sadly Darren First class travel doesn't afford automatic access to lounges in the US, access is by high tier status with the carrier, sadly AU doesn't qualify you either which is a pitty though at MCO the Delta Skyclub is a rather basic affair v(

Jon

If MIA is anything to go by the lounges in the states are pretty poor, CH's excluded of course!
#881509 by horburyflyer
30 Aug 2014, 20:44
ultreen1 wrote:
horburyflyer wrote:
Darren

Jon

If MIA is anything to go by the lounges in the states are pretty poor, CH's excluded of course!

Of course and I agree the lounges in the US are generally poor and basic. I can't even think of one now that I have thought was half-decent.

Jon
#881511 by David1946
30 Aug 2014, 20:58
Strange that somebody paying for first class doesn't get access to lounge but a regular flyer on a Coach does, or am I reading it wrong. I agree, having been in the Delta lounge at MCO it is basic and not worth paying for.
#881515 by David
30 Aug 2014, 21:17
If travelling First on Delta and you have a Plat AMEX you get access to the Delta lounges.

Nothing spectacular but a free bar never the less.

David
#881522 by horburyflyer
30 Aug 2014, 21:57
David1946 wrote:Strange that somebody paying for first class doesn't get access to lounge but a regular flyer on a Coach does, or am I reading it wrong. I agree, having been in the Delta lounge at MCO it is basic and not worth paying for.

That just about covers it.....I was sat amongst Platinum and Diamond medallion members who all qualify for free upgrades 5 days out from departure on discounted fares or at booking on full-fare :w
#881535 by buns
31 Aug 2014, 07:05
Horburyflyer

Thanks for the TR - I have done this journey in the past with both Delta and AA and your experience is par for the course. Don't get me wrong, if Mrs Buns and I travel internally within the US, we will always go First as it gives peace of mind about luggage and boarding.

What I do find surprising is that VS Au travelling internally with Delta in First Class do not get access to the Sky Club :0 As such, your revelation does not bode well for a forthcoming trip from New York to Orlando n( (At least we have got our seats in First Class already and i will take consolation that some upgraded bunny may find him or herself miffed :w

Thanks once again

buns
#881539 by WPIL
31 Aug 2014, 09:09
Have green lucky with my lounge experiences in the US.

SF Clubhouse, very nice, good food and I am sure they had showers!

LAX, Air New Zealand lounge, my favourite in the states, lovely view and often in there as the sun is setting, good selection of wines, food not too bad and clean & modern showers. (Terminal 2 is an otherwise horrid place.)

Newark. Not as good, Silverjet when they were around, very crowded. (The lounge in Luton was good though).

First Class in the States is a bit like First Class on say Southern Trains, not something to get excited about although I have seen some reports on AA recently and it looks like their coast to Coast services have improved?

I wonder which airline has the worst first class?
#881576 by horburyflyer
31 Aug 2014, 13:08
buns wrote:Horburyflyer

Thanks for the TR - I have done this journey in the past with both Delta and AA and your experience is par for the course. Don't get me wrong, if Mrs Buns and I travel internally within the US, we will always go First as it gives peace of mind about luggage and boarding.

What I do find surprising is that VS Au travelling internally with Delta in First Class do not get access to the Sky Club :0 As such, your revelation does not bode well for a forthcoming trip from New York to Orlando n( (At least we have got our seats in First Class already and i will take consolation that some upgraded bunny may find him or herself miffed :w

Thanks once again

buns

Hey Buns, indeed I have done this route with JetBlue, AA, United and now Delta and would say not a huge difference between them, though Delta were good value and those TPs and miles will come in handy y)

I agree it would make sense to offer VS AUs access to the lounges but sadly not and like you I did take a little comfort knowing by securing my seat in advance, it did mean someone who hadn't missed out...... :w ): such is life and the gambles we take!!!

Jon
#881644 by ColOrd
31 Aug 2014, 21:55
I did MCO to MIA last year with AA in First. It was about $50 more than Economy so I didn't mind for the extra legroom, but I would agree with the analogy that it's like travelling First Class on a train in the UK!
Virgin Atlantic