#882325 by lynnewob
08 Sep 2014, 18:51
A 2 part report - MCT to DXB and DXB to BHX

Part 1
After leaving wonderful hotel (Shangri La Al Husn) which I could recommend to anyone, we were collected by our chauffeur at 0215 for a 30 min transfer to MCT airport for a 0500 flight.

We arrived at a very quiet airport and checked in quickly with only 1 person in front of us in the queue. We were issued boarding passes for both flights immediately and luggage tagged through to the final destination.

On board the A330-200, we had a window/aisle seat and it was a quiet flight that went out on time. We were served a yoghurt, croissant, sliced apple and cheese pastry with water and orange juice.

The flight was only 50 minutes long but took forever to find a space to park - after reaching the end of the terminal buildings, it went into the back of beyond and parked. We then disembarked from the front and back of the plane by steps onto buses. It took the buses 20 minutes to get to the terminal.

Part 2 to Birmingham 0805

After a short wait around DXB airport, we went to the gate to find it absolutely packed. We found 2 seats opposite each other to wait and again couldn't believe how many families were there again. I thought it may this time have been English families returning from visiting Indian relatives and going back to school slightly late. I think the flight had about 30% plus children on board. We boarded after business class and families travelling with small children - by the time this had happened the gate area was nearly empty.

On board, we were in the first section of the 777ER cabin on the penultimate row in front of the toilets. We had window and middle and thankfuly a very nice slim girl in the aisle seat, which made the journey more comfortable.

Service was very odd on the flight. A drinks service was done front to back and was very slow, but the meal service was done back to front, with the wine/drinks service to go with the meal from front to back. They met in the middle and pushed th carts to the middle section so they could pass each other. Usually the drinks are served with the meal but they went from 2 different trolleys in different directions. Choices again were chicken, fish and vegetarian.

The ICE entertainment is always good on EK and I watched a couple of films, X-men Future past and Moms night out. I enjoyed X-men.

Closer to landing, a snack was served and again it was done with the 2 trolleys starting at different ends - after only travelling in business recently, I wasn't aware in Econ how it was done but that must be the way and I do think it's rather odd.

Landed without any issues and the flight was disembarked by L2 onto an airbridge and the back of the plane had steps onto the tarmac.

We arrived at the same time as some charter flights from Europe and the staff at BHX block off the stairs making everyone go down the escalator but held people back from that to enable people downstairs to fill the immigration hall first. There was a huge back up of people upstairs as 2 flights had arrived at the same time but downstairs only 1 flight so not sure why this was done. I used the new passport gates for the first time having only renewed my passport in Jan this year and hubby went into the normal queue as his isn't up for renewal until 2016. Amazingly though he only took 5-10 mins longer.

Baggage came through reasonably quickly, always after the crew bags and we were quickly off to catch our return train home without any issues. I did notice that for the first time in ages there were customs officers in the green lane and people were getting pulled over - one woman had so many cigarettes it was unbelievable as they were piled up on the stainless steel counters in a huge pyramid. It was an exceptionally busy Sunday for passengers so perhaps they put on more staff knowing a lot of people were due from holidays on this date.
#882488 by mrsw
09 Sep 2014, 23:17
I read your EK reports keenly as a regular traveller to dxb for work, since I would like to have a back up plan should vs pull this route. I must admit I was expecting to read about the wonderful service you always hear with EK, so reading about the issues you had has been very helpful.
#882496 by lynnewob
10 Sep 2014, 04:35
We've previously travelled a lot with EK to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore but with slightly different timings. The airline has changed (as of course has VS) but service levels are usually very good - I think we were just unlucky with such a busy flight and very demanding people. If you are going from LHR, they have a lot more flights per day on the A380 and you will have a different experience.

EK's food is always good, as is their entertainment.

I have tried Qatar in the past and they do seem to have the edge but it does mean a 90 jaunt up the M6 for us to Manchester so if going to the Far East/Middle East EK does tend to be the airline of choice, simply because BHX is only 20 minutes away for us.