#883952 by starquake
23 Sep 2014, 20:34
My first trip in DL's BE product. Flight booked all on VS codes as VS were cheaper than DL.

Trip starts with a ridiculously early drop-off at LHR. No traffic, and a journey that I know (from previous history) takes 3 hours in normal conditions, took 2 hours. The guy wasn't even speeding much, just a better route I'll be sharing with other drivers. (I come from boonies in Suffolk, so many routes to London). Pick up was 3:30am, arrival just past 5:30am. In past I have had same pickup for drive through check in on VS - which opens 6:30am as we all know - and it's been perfect for that.

Well, at 5:30 - DL isn't open. So I have a coffee at Nero whilst they setup things.

Checkin experience is not good. Security questions asked in huge numbers, taking 5 mins longer than any other airline - still eventually sticker on passport. The actual checkin itself past the security lady was fast/effecient, but why they have 2 BE checkin desks and one security seems less effective than it could be with the huge security question delay.

T4 fast-track security was like VS private lane. No-one in front, though given the hour no issues there. Into Skyteam lounge, and it was no clubhouse. It's not the worst airline lounge, but it's certainly not the best in raw product - I'd rate No 1 above it in terms of product. It did have a full english buffet, but the selection was poor - and poor in the downstairs continental options. . No champagne, wine, or spirits on offer in the morning, which was annoying given I had to drive ~14 hours later, so would usually have a small cocktail if on VS. Clubhouse definitely wins here, and you can see why DL wants to move all its flights to T3

No boarding announcement in lounge, and a long walk to gate, reminded me of T3. Arrived to a priority queue, and reasonably quickly on plane where on sitting down a champers, orange juice or beer was quickly offered. I took the beer as it was a novelty as VS do not offer similar.

The overall BE cabin - I did like, all aisle access, and a nice big table next to you to put laptops on. (which is person behind you's foot cupboard). It works very well for a business cabin in terms of product, as you can use a laptop with ease whilst having food on the actual seat folded table. The seat was however more uncomfortable to me than the VS seat when in seat mode - although the massage function was quite good at removing pains from it. A nice touch on a airline seat. The power was also very conveniently located for laptop/ipad use - real improvement on the VS location.

Meal choice was taken before take off by purser of plane and introductions were all by name. Very nice touch, as the purser did get around to meeting everyone by take-off.

The food I did take a picture of the menu, but it consisted of appetizers of a artechoke salad, then a pea soup, with traditional salad + bread. Bread was a great choice and better than the options on VS. Finally was off to the main - I had a chicken breast with leek, potatoes, veg and a nice leak sauce. Tasted amazing and easily one of best plane meals I've ever had. Dessert was a Sundae made up to your choice of sauce. (or cheesecake or cheeses).

The actual DL staff were absolutely professional with amazing service throughout the flight. A drink was near finished and without fail I'd be asked if I wanted another. Water service - they couldn't give away enough bottles - I'd been offered one about 8 times by end of flight. The coffee on the plane is served with warmed milk - and the coffee itself sure beats any I've had in sky before. I think they must have an expresso machine. Between courses they came around with fruit, snacks etc, in a basket regularly to pick from as you chose - similar to BA's club kitchen but to the seat. Late tea as a caesar salad or pizza (about a 7") - I had pizza and was easily best pizza in sky I've ever had - fresh cooked it seemed, and wasn't overcooked or undercooked - really hard ot do in normal over, let alone a plane one. Blew the afternoon tea on BA/VS away.

Special mention to the DL safety video - a bit more professional than VS's - but with humorous elements throughout.

DTW immigration was not a good experience as a non-US-resident - we arrived behing a Tokyo and China flight (didn't catch if was Beijing or Shanghai) - the issue was that these visitors didn't know how to fill in the customs forms, resulting in a major backlog to clear. Given I was front of cabin it took me 45 mins to clear immigration. I was then selected for a further CBP random inspection - taking another hour. I would stress the automated machines for ESTA previous visitors were down, so this may be reason for the longer delays. I did make it to my next plane with ~ 2mins to spare before boarding commenced, so didn't get to experience the Skyclub in the main terminal. Overall though DTW is a reasonable airport to transit via. Please note something they didn't tell us when leaving plane - all business class baggage gets it's own baggage claim (3) - leaving many of us waiting ages on the regular belt.

Flight was delayed by ~ 30 mins on take-off by 15 mins by landing, the pilots had authority to cruise at a higher speed but was fighting the headwinds. The pilots notifications, and the cabin crew were excellent on the flight - not intrusive.

IFE - was better than VS - more selection, TV and films. Though the BE seat did mean I had to recline it slightly to get best view. There was not a gate-gate service, IFE only turned on after take-off.

My overall thoughts were it was a excellent business class product, better for doing actual work on than BA or VS - allowing the laptop to be put to one side whilst eating or getting up for a walk etc - which can be a pain on the other airlines. The service is also excellent - and better than BA from the many flights I've been on - but without the fun of VS. The food is better than both VS or BA from this flights experience. The lack of a bar onboard the flight and the lack of interaction between passengers is something missing though this is similar to BA really. They are an excellent partner for VS, which doesn't degrade their product at all. I'll definitely be happy to fly BE again - and would choose it over the BA product for a day flight given the choice. As I havn't slept in it yet, too early to tell for the return and will let you guys know in a week.

DTW - I can see why VS are starting a route to here - it's an excellent airport to transit via post-immigration (imagine a lot better), both large in terms of flights/destinations served, and quick to move around in, it has a train similar to the ones in Houston air-side to move around quickly between gates.