#885352 by Vegascrazy
13 Oct 2014, 16:12
Year on year we’ve been flying Virgin Atlantic for our trips to USA. We’ve always had great flights in UC with VA, generally upgrading from M to G. Like others though the temptation to try BA won me over and last year Steve & I decided to focus our miles hoarding on BA Avios. We pooled our miles into a ‘Household’ account and, in conjunction with the BA Amex card soon accumulated enough Avios to book an outbound to MCO in Club World and a return from LAX in First. We also redeemed an Amex ‘two for one’ voucher meaning that both of us went for the price of one, ie. half the miles and half the cash for tax/fees. This meant just 62,500 Avios and £550 each for the tax/fees. In the past we’d typically have each paid around £800-900 for an L return to USA west coast and parted with 50,000 FC miles to upgrade to UC. Hence for us it was a no brainer to save serious cash and miles. The prospect of flying BA’s ‘new First’ on one of their new A380’s was also exciting!

Our holiday this year was to be one of two halves, eight days in Orlando with good friends who know the area really well. They put together the most comprehensive of plans that allowed a perfect combination of rides, parks and lovely chill time back the villa. The second half was familiar territory for us, a few nights in Palm Springs and a few in San Diego, with the last night in LA. We flew American Airlines first class from Orlando to Palm Springs via Dallas Fort Worth, both flights very comfortable. Also hugely impressed by the Amex Centurion Lounge at DFW, with the exception of VS Clubhouses it has to be the best US airport lounge I’ve seen. I understand there’s one at LAS so looking forward to trying that one out next April!

So on to the flight itself: We arrived at Gatwick around 11:00, the flight was not until 13:50 but we were keen to do a bit of airside shopping and enjoy the BA Terraces Lounge. It goes without saying that BA’s Terraces Lounge is not a patch on a VS CH! Nonetheless it was perfectly acceptable, peaceful and decent range of salads, cold cuts & sandwiches to choose from. The flight showed as boarding around 13:00 and we wandered over to the gate. After a few minutes Club World & Executive Club Gold & Silver members were called for boarding. No First on this flight as it was a three class triple seven. I’d pre-booked booked seats 4A & 4B, these (along with 4J & 4K) are the best in the cabin as the person by the window does not have to clamber over a stranger’s legs if said stranger is in flat bed mode.

Seat 4A:
DSC00218_sm.jpg

Seat 4B:
DSC00252_sm.jpg

We were welcomed by name and asked if we would like Champagne which we accepted. Menu cards were also handed out, today’s selection was:

Starters:
Crab tian with ciabatta croutons
Herb-marinated feta cheese salad with rocket pesto
Fresh seasonal salad with vinaigrette

Main:
Goan chicken curry
Pan-seared British beef fillet with truffle herb crumb and red wine jus
Tomato, mozzarella and basil tortellini with red pepper coulis
Thai pasta salad with seared pepper tuna

Dessert:
Spiced pear tart with cardamom anglaise
Kidderton Ash and Rothbury Red cheese served with fig jelly
A selection of fruit
Tea, coffee and chocolates

Afternoon Tea:
An individual selection of traditional sandwiches
Assorted scones served warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Champagne & cocktail menu:
drinks_1.jpg
drinks_1.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 12971 times

Wine menu:
drinks2.jpg
drinks2.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 12971 times

The LGW three class triple sevens seat 40 in CW unlike the LHR ones which seat 48 (incidentally row 5 has the best seats on that fleet.) There were three spare seats on today’s flight. We pushed back 5 minutes early but in mid reverse there was a loud jolt and shake, it felt like something had hit the aircraft! We then sat there having not fully completed the reverse. After a couple of minutes the captain announced that the tug’s tow bar had broken and another was being sought. Minutes ticked past and eventually we heard the sound of the aircraft engines starting. Perhaps they couldn’t find a new tow bar as, even though we not fully pushed back, the captain must have been given clearance to move forward using engines. Before we knew it we were airborne with an ETA at MCO a few minutes ahead of the scheduled 18:05 arrival time.

Throughout the flight the service was exceptionally attentive; I lost count of the number of times we were addressed by name. The flight manager was especially chatty, he must have used his iPad to look at our recent flight BA patterns as he asked Steve how his recent flight to San Francisco had been, showing real interest in how he rated the service and how frequently we fly.

The lunch was delicious; we both opted for the crab starter. I had the curry for main and Steve had the fillet. Our seating layout was great for a couple travelling together.

Starter:
DSC00223_sm.jpg

Fillet main:
DSC00224_sm.jpg

Steve grabbed these great shorts of a BA 747 flying right alongside us for a fair while! We deduced it must have been the LHR-MIA service:
DSC00238sm.jpg

DSC00240sm.jpg

All in all this was a great flight. Everything worked, the on demand IFE was good but not as great as the new IFE on VS's LGW fleet. Everything was clean, the cabin carpet looked brand new, the food & wine was delicious and the service friendly & attentive. It lacked the VS flair though and we missed the social interaction you get on VS when meeting & chatting with fellow passengers at the bar. We did however like the seat positioning, especially for us flying as a couple as we were facing one another so very easy to chat & dine together.
DSC00235_sm.jpg

We arrived to am empty immigration hall (the VS 13:00 departure from LGW was running two hours late hence it was not ahead of us). We'd collected our bags and had been greeted by our friends (who had arrived some three days earlier) around twenty minutes after landing.

Will post our LAX-LHR return flight in the next few days.

Thanks for reading,
James
#885357 by Bretty
13 Oct 2014, 17:40
Thanks for a great TR James, sounds like s great experience and the food looked very good. That fillet looked scrummy (although the plate could've been dressed a little better).

Look forward to the return TR, to read your opinion of BA F service.

Cheers :)
#885360 by hiljil
13 Oct 2014, 18:28
Thank you for an enjoyable TR and super photos.
Yes, I have paid and tried to book the seats where I don't have to climb over anyone ( a pet hate so I pay eleven months in advance ) only to discover that BA have moved me - before the flight- at on line check in and at the desk when checking in...

I must say the service you received sounds wonderful. I wasn't addressed once by name during my flight ( the same day as yours ) nor was I spoken to other than to be asked for drinks or food requests. It must be the luck of the draw.

I am really looking forward to reading about your flight in First - also, hopefully, with pictures, please !
#885361 by PaulS
13 Oct 2014, 18:37
Great trip report, I love the crab tian as well had it on my last CW flight. I like the 3 class and your right about those seats. The thing about CW it's a bit like that advert. It doses exactly what it says on the tin and for most people that's all they want. Looking forward to your return report.
#885370 by honey lamb
13 Oct 2014, 22:10
Thanks for the TR. It sounds like a good one and certainly better than I have experienced in CW. Nothing, except price has won me over to BA :(

Bretty wrote:That fillet looked scrummy (although the plate could've been dressed a little better).

Cheers :)

I agree and my experience of CW food, especially if you are in the window seat and it is passed over the divider to you, is that it is slopped all over the place.

I am just longing for a good BA experience but it is really alluding me.
#885383 by buns
14 Oct 2014, 06:09
James

Thank you for a thoroughly splendid TR y) y)

You put a compelling argument for switching to BA with such a bargain to fly Club outbound and return in First :0

Thanks for the pics and the tip about choosing the right combination of seats in Club

buns
#885387 by Hull
14 Oct 2014, 08:47
Thanks,

It sounds like a great trip so far,

I have actually cancelled my BA First reward LAX-LHR next year so I can save a few more Avios and earn a companion voucher via my BA Amex (I'm halfway there and I've only had the card a week) and treat Mrs Hull to a BA F trip later in the year.

We are flying out of LAS in Jan and will be trying the LAS Centurion Lounge, I believe it is located in the D gate area which is a satellite between the two main terminal buildings, we are flying with DL to SEA which operates from the D gates, I'll post a quick hello from there detailing services.

Dominic
#885401 by PaulS
14 Oct 2014, 11:30
Seat selection on the return trip in F is free regardless of status. Out bound it would have been free for gold/silver on bronze at one week before check out opens
#885403 by gfonk
14 Oct 2014, 12:23
Thanks for the great TR. Especially the pics!!
We will get to experience BA CW next year for the first time. Not really sure what to expect as it seems to get such mixed reviews. Guess it all comes down to the crew on the day.
TBH as long as I can get some sleep on the flight and eat some reasonably nice food im not too fussed. Arriving at my destination feeling refreshed is most important. I will get to eat fantastic food once I get to downtown so..
Hope you have a great time away and looking forward to hearing about your return.
#885408 by Vegascrazy
14 Oct 2014, 13:37
Smid wrote:Did you book your seats, paid or status? Just wondering, but balk at 300 odd quid for a seat, when perhaps the 24 hour check in choice is enough...

We don't fly BA enough to gain silver/gold status but we get comp'd the Marco Polo Gold card via Amex Plat which equates to BA Silver. (Comes in extremely handy for BA lounge access when fying on the cheapest BA tickets!) I popped the CX number on to our booking for the purposes of getting free Club World seat selection then removed it & put my BA Exec Club back in.
#885409 by Smid
14 Oct 2014, 13:55
That's all very good, but for us poor people who's Cathay Pacific status via Amex platinum expired over a year ago, and they decided not to extend it, kind of leaves us high and dry.

Considering even a reasonable east coast ex-eu new year TP run to get it, well, that and the 40K miles for each of us allows us to be 80% of the way to splurging on the next BA Amex 2 for 1, via this family account...
#885466 by Hull
14 Oct 2014, 22:29
Vegascrazy wrote:We don't fly BA enough to gain silver/gold status but we get comp'd the Marco Polo Gold card via Amex Plat which equates to BA Silver. (Comes in extremely handy for BA lounge access when fying on the cheapest BA tickets!) I popped the CX number on to our booking for the purposes of getting free Club World seat selection then removed it & put my BA Exec Club back in.

Haha,

I too am CX Gold via Amex Plat and have done the same for my seat request to JNB next month, how long before your flight did you change your FF details from CX to BAEC? I want to ensure I get all my miles and TP's but refuse to pay £70+ per seat request.

Many thanks
Dominic
#885521 by Vegascrazy
15 Oct 2014, 13:51
I just swap it back to the BA number once I've reserved the seats. For example I have flights between LGW & AMS booked for next April and temporarily inserted my CX number to be able to book them for free but straight away put my BA number back in. The assignments hold good after you've swapped the BAEC number back in. The only thing that changes is that you see the button saying it will cost you £X to change your seats should you want to change them again.
#885530 by Hull
15 Oct 2014, 16:58
Vegascrazy wrote:I just swap it back to the BA number once I've reserved the seats. For example I have flights between LGW & AMS booked for next April and temporarily inserted my CX number to be able to book them for free but straight away put my BA number back in. The assignments hold good after you've swapped the BAEC number back in. The only thing that changes is that you see the button saying it will cost you £X to change your seats should you want to change them again.

Thanks,

I have managed to do this with my AMS-JNB booked through Expedia but seem unable to change my FF details via MMB on flights booked on BA.com but as they're all short hops in Club Europe it's no big problem.

Enjoy your trip.
Virgin Atlantic