#886159 by Vegascrazy
23 Oct 2014, 21:40
This TR follows my outbound to MCO TR. After a wonderful sixteen day holiday spread between Orlando, St Petersburg, Palm Springs, San Diego & Los Angeles it was time to head home. Originally our plan had been to fly back from San Diego in Club World, but when reward availability showed up in First on BA’s A380 ex-LAX I pounced and paid the £30pp change fee to amend our booking. When ringing BA to make the switch I had it in my mind that an additional 25k Avios would be needed per person, ie. 50k in total (as we were each upgrading from a sector costing 50k Avios to one costing 75k). It was a nice surprise to be reminded by the agent that only an additional 25k would be required in total as the base booking was an Amex 241 redemption!

We stayed at the London West Hollywood that last night having been recommended it by a number of friends. It certainly lived up to expectations; we’d booked through Amex FHR and received a room upgrade to a Royal Vista Suite having originally booked the cheapest standard room. Other FHR benefits here included a $100 food & beverage credit, noon check in (very handy as we set off from San Diego first thing to take advantage of this early check-in) & 4pm check-out. We didn’t need the late checkout though as our flight departure time was 15:50. On the subject of Amex FHR benefits we reaped some good ones on this trip which, in my opinion, still makes the annual fee well worth it. In Orlando we had a night at the Loew’s Portofino at Universal (so as to take advantage of early park access for Harry Potter , express ride passes and being on site for Halloween Horror Nights. I’d booked two rooms on the one booking via FHR and all benefits were applied to both rooms, including room upgrade, $100 F&B credit, early check in and late checkout. In this case the late checkout was really useful as it meant we could spend most of the day at Islands of Adventure with all our stuff left in the room. FHR also came in handy at San Diego (Doubletree) where (again for two rooms on the one booking) we received complimentary upgraded on both rooms, early check-in/late checkout, free breakfasts each morning (a sizeable saving when you see the price of breakfast!) and free internet.

One thing to mention about the London West Hollywood is the Gordon Ramsay Restaurant. We ate there and were disappointed to say the least. The food was good but the service appalling; I’ve posted a review on TripAdvisor. I hardly ever complain but had no choice on this occasion. Perhaps we just unlucky, but not judging by other recent reviews.

We checked out around 12:30 and made the 35 minute drive to LAX, dropped our car at Hertz and took the transfer bus to Tom Bradley Terminal. There was a long queue for Economy check-in and a few people in line at Club World and World Traveller Plus. The First check area was empty; we were seen quickly and politely and given directions to the One World Business Lounge by the agent. She also made a point of explaining that from early next year there will be dedicated First Class lounge that BA & Qantas will share.

We had priority access through security so no wait there and quickly through to the One World Business Lounge. It was a pleasant environment to while away the time before boarding with various types of seating areas and a mixture of people eating or working; the WiFi incidentally was very fast. What stood out for me was a huge circular leather sofa surrounding a semi-covered gas fire pit that’s set into large marble ring. The bar area was really snazzy, black-tiled and featuring signature cocktails and decent Australian and Californian wines. The buffet selection was good with a wide selection of fresh salads, hot items, and desserts. Keen to preserve my appetite for the five course tasting menu on the flight I tried small portions of quinoa mixed with feta & spinach and the slow-roasted beef short rib.

We decided to head to the gate early as wanted to look at the shops on the way, or were we just super excited about flying First for the first time ever!? Compared to LAX T2 the Tom Bradley terminal was luxurious! Loads of shops, clean, modern, light & spacious. When we reached the gate area it was fairly frenetic. Announcement after announcement asking various passengers approach the staff at the podium. I often wonder why this only seems to happen States side, I rarely witness the same frenetic stuff going on in UK gate rooms. Steve & I were now itching to get on, super excited about our first experience of BA First! Our first treat was when First and Club World passengers were called forward first as the small number of us is First had our own jet bridge to board the aircraft! On we went and were immediately warmly welcomed by the CSM and shown to our seats. Initial impressions were calmness and tranquillity but it was our massive suites that I couldn’t keep my eyes off! The CSM showed us how everything worked and the masses of storage space we each had, including our own personal wardrobe. I’d pre booked us seats 2K & 3K. We accepted the offer of Champagne and began settling in. There are only fourteen seats in First on the A380 and on this flight twelve were occupied.

first_view2.jpg

We were offered a second round of Champagne by the CSM at the same time as she handed out the dinner menus and ‘First’ pyjamas and amenity kits. I’d researched beforehand the menu offerings and was fully au fait with the five course tasting menu with wine pairing. She explained the menu and we could eat whenever we like, whether post take-off or hours into the flight. We’d decided we would eat soon after departure as had intentionally eaten very little in the lounge earlier.
tasting menu.jpg

a la carte.jpg
a la carte.jpg (61.7 KiB) Viewed 10394 times

We pushed back on time and were soon airborne. Three cabin crew members were attending to the twelve of us in First, not a bad ratio! The CSM was soon back with us taking drinks orders and checking that we were still keen to do the tasting menu. She said that some people like a fast paced experience of the tasting menu and others long & drawn out & asked us to feel free to let out server know how much time we would like between courses. We were definitely in the long & drawn out category – the longer the better, after all it was only around 4.30pm!

Our table was laid, the first round of wine poured and first to arrive was the amuse bouche. Unexpected but delicious!
first_amuse bouche.jpg

The starter followed a few minutes later but not before we were asked if were ready for it. Throughout the entire meal we were always given a small tasting measure of the paired wine first.
first_cured salmon.jpg

This meal was the best we have ever had on any flight along with the service that accompanied it, I’d go as far as saying that the turbot was among the most perfectly cooked pieces of turbot I’ve had in any restaurant.
first_turbot.jpg

The short rib course was also delicious
first_omaha beef.jpg

The sheer amount of space that I had (guest in Steve’s suite) was amazing.
first_guest dining.jpg

Throughout the meal the service was exceptional, other people I noticed opted to eat later. From what I could see only two other people were dining at around the same time as us. The thing that I liked was that we were given the choice to enjoy the tasting menu at a speed that suited us; we just loved having the whole thing long and drawn out!

We elected to skip the dessert course and enjoy the cheese selection with a nice Port!
first_cheese.jpg

We interacted with both the CSM and the crew member serving us a lot throughout the meal service; they were both bubbly people and were meticulous in ensuring that every aspect of this dining experience was spot on.

When we were served coffee, brandy & chocolates the CSM asked us if we fancied a tour round the rest of the aircraft after dinner which we had no hesitation in accepting.
first_espresso.jpg

The CSM herself took us round, we went up the stairs forward of our cabin and long the CW cabin at the front of the upper deck. She then showed us the galley just behind CW and we ended up getting into conversation with the crew there. The CSM got called away but she asked one of the friendly crew members we were chatting with to complete the ‘tour’! We must have stayed chatting in that galley for a good half hour, even accepting the offer of a gin & tonic! Our friendly guide then showed us the rest of the upper deck and introduced us to crew at the galley at the back of the upper deck. From there it was down stairs and we ambled our way back along the lower deck to our cabin at the front. We were given all sorts of facts & figures along the way and it was really nice meeting & chatting with crew members in the galleys.

By the time we were back at our suites I felt ready for a sleep and had my bed made up.

I guess I must have had a good four hours sleep because when I woke breakfast was being served! Steve was already up and using the IFE so I popped round to his suite for breakfast. It was all served beautifully, the tea was piping hot – perfect for dealing with my ‘mild’ hangover!

When we were being served breakfast the CSM told us about the arrivals lounge at Heathrow, however we’d already decided that on arrival we would focus on getting home.

We were set to land a few minutes early but were held in a stack and touched down around fifteen minutes late. The crew thought First passengers would be disembarking via the forward jetty but there seemed to be a problem and at the last minute we were asked to exit via the normal route. Other passengers were held back so we were still first off. The Captain was already at the door saying goodbye to leaving passengers which was nice.

My overall verdict: This was a fantastic flight, one that I won’t forget in a very long time.
Was the meal served on this flight my best ever? Yes
Was the professionalism & slickness of service the best? Yes
Was the bed the most spacious and most comfortable of any flight I’ve been on: Yes (so much so I didn’t use the IFE at all on the entire flight!)
Was this the ‘best overall’ flight I’ve ever been on? No. The reason why is that, for me, the best flight I have ever taken was one in VS UC. It was the best because of the social interaction you get via the bar, especially on a day flight to San Francisco when you and a group of friends have taken over almost the entire the A zone!

Value for money wise we got an incredible deal, well it wasn’t a ‘deal’ – it is simply how the BA reward scheme works. I still scratch my head at how we got all that (including the CW outbound to MCO) for a little over £500 and 62.5k Avios each. We’ve already secured Avios redemptions for the same trip next September, not before we’ve enjoyed VS UC to LAS in April!

Thanks for reading
James
#886163 by honey lamb
23 Oct 2014, 22:18
Lovely TR, James and a terrific experience - so much better than my experience in First. On my outbound I would have loved to have eaten later than I did but I wasn't given the option but I now realise I could have.

Even though we were in First there was no tasting menu but I realise that is reserved for the flagship flight. However the steak on my return flight was inedible and I just couldn't eat it xx( The ratio of staff was better though 2:6 y)
#886164 by tontybear
23 Oct 2014, 22:24
*jealous*

That circular sofa and fire pit given you any ideas??
#886166 by Bretty
23 Oct 2014, 23:47
Great TR James, and photos too. Sounds wonderful, and I'm not jealous at all, honest :w
#886167 by Hamster
23 Oct 2014, 23:51
Thanks for the great TR, making me looking forward to our F class flights to LaX and back in two weeks! Thanks for sharing the photos too.
#886171 by hiljil
24 Oct 2014, 06:14
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience. I so enjoyed reading your report and loved the photos.

It is something to be savoured when a flight lives up, in fact may even have surpassed , expectations. If only ........... Glad it happened for you.
#886188 by Concorde RIP
24 Oct 2014, 09:51
Great trip report - thank you.

Your experience of BA first echoes my own, except for the grand tour of which I am very jealous! But then, I wasn't on an A380 - jealous again!
#886196 by Luke12
24 Oct 2014, 12:08
Great TR James, I must say that F on BA looks fab!

The FHR benefits are excellent! The early check in, late check out and $100 - along with the free room upgrade was greatly appreciated.
#886223 by gfonk
24 Oct 2014, 16:31
fantastic TR
uh might i add...well .jealous lol
#886234 by PaulS
24 Oct 2014, 18:32
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. I must admit I gave always been asked when I would like to eat in first, doesn't it also tell you that you have this option on the menu?
#886236 by Vegascrazy
24 Oct 2014, 18:47
Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. Re whether or not the menu states you can eat when you like I just looked and, no, it doesn't actually state that. However as I said the 'dine when you like' aspect was made very clear on our flight.
welcome page_1.jpg
welcome page_1.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 9955 times
#886237 by Vegascrazy
24 Oct 2014, 18:54
Hi everyone, I've just realised I can add more photos when replying on this thread (there's a limit of 10 in main TR) so here are few more :) >>
first_hotel chocolat.jpg

first_bed.jpg

first_sockets.jpg

first_view1.jpg

first_view3.jpg

red and dessert wines.jpg
red and dessert wines.jpg (79.94 KiB) Viewed 9953 times

white wines.jpg
white wines.jpg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 9953 times

Thanks
James
#886263 by Bretty
25 Oct 2014, 00:52
Vegascrazy wrote:
Bretty wrote:Were those chocolates in the box from Hotel Chocolat by any chance?

They were indeed, and the box was ours to take home :)

Mmm I love Hotel Chocolat, so much so I joined their tasting club. That was a big mistake because I was inundated with chocolates for months ^) ^)
#886264 by Hamster
25 Oct 2014, 01:44
Hotel Chocolat chocolates are only on the A380 routes, all other routes offer a different brand (can't remember who currently!).

A380 routes also have Hotel Chocolat - Liquid Chocolat, very nice hot chocolate.
#886277 by pjh
25 Oct 2014, 09:47
Bretty wrote:
Vegascrazy wrote:
Bretty wrote:Were those chocolates in the box from Hotel Chocolat by any chance?

They were indeed, and the box was ours to take home :)

Mmm I love Hotel Chocolat, so much so I joined their tasting club. That was a big mistake because I was inundated with chocolates for months ^) ^)

Made by artisan chocolatiers on an industrial estate in Huntingdon. Just behind Kwik Fit.

Excellent TR. Not at all jealous :w
#886284 by mallin
25 Oct 2014, 10:35
Off topic but I thought Paul was joking to where those chocolates were made, but no and I have found they have an outlet store there as well. We live less than 9 miles away :0

Fancy a trip Bretty(John).
#886298 by Bretty
25 Oct 2014, 12:38
mallin wrote:Off topic but I thought Paul was joking to where those chocolates were made, but no and I have found they have an outlet store there as well. We live less than 9 miles away :0

Fancy a trip Bretty(John).

Huntingdon isn't that far from me but alas, no, I get them delivered!
Virgin Atlantic