#886584 by Maximus
29 Oct 2014, 14:42
We ended our New England road trip in Cape Cod- arriving in time for stormy weather which made good for windy seascapes but not ideal for walking outdoors. We had a great time regardless y)

The flight back was an early (ish) morning flight so we stayed at The Hilton Boston Airport which was convenient. Dull, but convenient.

Check in at Boston was swift. The BA flight seems to be the ONLY flight leaving Terminal E at Boston Logan Airport at that time of day, so it was very quiet. Security again was efficient (as an aside, my checked in case was opened by TSA, re-packed and locked again. I would advise TSA locks for all travellers going to the USA. They will break the locks if they wish to gain entry to your cases).

The BA lounge at Boston is small, windowless and not the place one would wish to spend 4 hours. However, and hour in there for breakfast and a read of the papers was fine. Breakfast offerings were quite reasonable and I had my fill of bagels and cream cheese ):

We travelled back on a B777-200. I chose this as we were travelling back on World Traveller Plus and the B747s do not have the new 2010 WT+ cabin upgrades (they will never be having them) but most (not all) the B777 200s do. It is a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the old WT+ cabins and clearly better than the WT cabin. I really noticed the leg room difference and the chairs have a good recline. the screen is far bigger and has improved visuality (is visuality a word?!). On this occasion, with a long car drive at the end, it was worth the few hundred pounds extra. The price difference between WT and WT+ seems to fluctuate a lot, so whether the extra expense is worth it is an individual choice.

The meal service was "better" in that we had hot towels, real china and metal cutlery. The food was not as good as on the outward flight, but I always find that with NA departures. I had a vegetarian meal option on this flight- omelette, spinach, fruit. To be honest at 10 am I would not have wanted anything else.

This is a 5 1/2 hour flight so soon passed.

The crew were again one of the more "experienced and mature" BA crews but not as friendly as the outbound team. We had no extra drinks offered after the main meal service until we had a pre-landing snack. That is poor. In the WT+ cabin we had the real joy of having someone from the Penny (Come Fly with Me) School of Cabin Crewing :D She was the epitome of how Pam Ann portrays BA cabin crew. I am sure I heard her neighhhhhhh! ): She was quite rude to one chap who she did not seem to understand as he had an American accent and then had the temerity to go to sleep during the meal service! Her annoyance and irritation was palpable but I found it highly amusing. She must have been having a bad day. My interest peaked when one WT+ passenger bravely decided he would go and use the Club World toilets and ventured through the hallowed curtain. :0 No sirens sounded and he fortunately got away with it, though I was expecting Penny to frog march him back to his lowly WT+ seat :D

Decanting at LHR went as well as it ever can. Purple Parking had our car waiting for us even though we were 30 mins ahead of expected y)

So ended our Autumnal trip to New England.

Next stop Paris ^)
Last edited by Maximus on 29 Oct 2014, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
#886593 by Bretty
29 Oct 2014, 15:51
As Pam Ann says, all BA crew look at you with the attitude that you're perosnally responsible for Princess Di's death! Neeeiighh.

Thanks for the TR, I was looking forward to reading about "Penny". Am glad you had a good trip. I think I'd like to drive around New England but my OH isn't keen on the idea. Ho hum... :w

'Tap, tap, tap. What's this economy? Yes, it's real glass isn't it? And metal cutlery. D'you hear that EasyJet, metal cutlery. You don't have cutlery do you?' I love Pam Ann!