#888031 by Hull
16 Nov 2014, 15:30
Boarding G-XLEC commenced on time, with priority boarding for First through L1 and Club World through L2, my first impressions were that the cabin was very spacious. We were welcomed onboard and directed to our seats. As we stowed our carry on bags we couldn’t help but notice the overhead bins in CW on the A380 are huge and could have easily held our checked bags too.

As we were seated in the centre of the plane 10 E+F we had different Flight Attendants serving us, we were both addressed by name and offered preflight champagne which in true V-Flyer style I accepted, Mrs Hull had a glass of Orange Juice.
As preflight drinks were being delivered Mrs Hulls FA acknowledged that is was her first time flying in Club World and offered to show her how the suite worked.

We took off a little late, felt a little strange going backwards at first, very private great for a couple but I would definitely feel awkward next to a stranger. The suite is very comfy when seated however when converted to the bed format is not as comfy as the VS UCS and I was touching both ends when I lay straight like the UCS on an A340 rather than the longer suite in the A zone of a 747.

The Crew were very professional and attentive.

The inflight menu was delivered shortly after takeoff along with drinks however shortly before taking our dinner orders we were advised that the wrong menu had been given out no much of an issue as I had Beef and Mrs Hull had Chicken (standard operating procedure) the major disaster was the emission of the Mississippi Mud Pie that Mrs Hull had her eye on shock horror no dessert for Mrs Hull. My steak was tasty but overdone and the Chicken was good by all reports.
After a few more glasses of St Emilion it was time for a nap, I slept for the best part of seven hours waking in time for breakfast, fresh fruit, croissants and coffee followed by a full English, mushrooms were tasty but the rest was a bit bland.

We arrived into JNB on time and feeling great.

Mrs H and I were both impressed with the cabin and service "don't tell SRB" she said.

We both came away thinking that CW is a good solid product and would definitely use it again particularly when there are great ex EU fares to be had, with this experience in mind I will be certainly keeping an eye on the BA website, could this be goodbye VS AU and hello BA AG? we’ll have to wait and see.
#888033 by PaulS
16 Nov 2014, 16:14
Sounds like you had a great flight. I haven't regretted swapping "golds" as yet. On tip is to try and get the bulkhead seats where there is no step over as this allows for extra legroom when in the bed position and you can hang your feet over the end of the foot stool. These seats are normally reserved for golds so I never have problem getting them. I think we are lucky to have two solid Britsh airline business products
#888040 by Petmadness
16 Nov 2014, 17:28
Sounds like a super flight with great service, so well done BA oo) Not flown CW for a while so might have to have a dabble in the not too distant future. Is Mrs H writing a letter about the severe lack of Mississippi Mud Pie on the flight ): Thanks for the TR y)
#888065 by Hull
17 Nov 2014, 08:27
It turns out that we were given the return menu in error at first, we told the FA looking after us on our return flight about the missing MMP and he said "don't worry it won't happen this time" and judging by her comments Mrs H received a rather large portion :D

Our day started off at 0600 at LGW flying to AMS for our ex EU booking so it was a pretty long day throw a few glasses of red wine in and I was out like a light ][|)
#888115 by Blacky1
17 Nov 2014, 19:11
Lots of red wine = long sleep ,yep I know that scenario very well ,
Sounds like a good solid flight Dom ,have been eyeing up some expedia deals in CW lately as I'm keen to try it but think I'll stick with a forward facing seat
Thanks for posting
#888440 by Maximus
19 Nov 2014, 13:14
Thanks for the TR. I am toying with flying to JNB with BA next year so good to hear it went well.

Did you go on Safari?
#888448 by Hull
19 Nov 2014, 13:35
Maximus wrote:Thanks for the TR. I am toying with flying to JNB with BA next year so good to hear it went well.

Did you go on Safari?

Yes we did,we flew straight out of JND to HDS (Hoedspruit) and spent a week in the Moditlo Private Game Reserve as well as going into the Kruger National Park. We saw pretty much everything, even had Lions in the camp on the last night.

The flights were great we went ex AMS and paid £1500pp in CW, I wouldn't hesitate to do use BA again, well unless VS could beat the price ;)
#888538 by gfonk
20 Nov 2014, 14:58
thanks for the TR Dom.

Im wondering whether we should try to get the end row couple seats too now.
hmm will see nearer the time if these are available etc.

Have you been able to submit your return TR yet?
#888540 by Hull
20 Nov 2014, 15:23
gfonk wrote:thanks for the TR Dom.

Im wondering whether we should try to get the end row couple seats too now.
hmm will see nearer the time if these are available etc.

Have you been able to submit your return TR yet?

I still haven't been able to submit the return TR as yet.

I would definitely go for the middle rearward facing seats if travelling as a couple it feels very private and it feels a lot roomier than a window / aisle combo.
#888693 by Maximus
22 Nov 2014, 19:03
Hull wrote:Yes we did,we flew straight out of JND to HDS (Hoedspruit) and spent a week in the Moditlo Private Game Reserve as well as going into the Kruger National Park. We saw pretty much everything, even had Lions in the camp on the last night.

Sounds fantastic. A safari is one of those things I keep putting off but am really keen to do. I was looking at Sabi Sands game reserve and adding on Victoria Falls and Cape Town but am not sure I have time to get it all in to a 12 day trip. But I have plenty of time to decide and plan.

Looking forward to the return trip report when you can post it!
Virgin Atlantic