#889339 by welsheagle
01 Dec 2014, 16:46
All too soon, our time was up and it was goodbye to the Weissbier, Glűhwein, Wurst and other Bavarian delicacies, and time to return to the UK.
OLCI done the day before (didn't try for SN1 this time), it was an early wake-up call and after a shave and shower, a hearty breakfast and off to the Hbf to get the S8 to the airport.
I had bought our tickets using the £35 and 9000 Avios option and it was either this 10:35 flight or a late afternoon one and, as we faced a drive back to Wales in winter, we plumped for the earlier option. As it turned out, the weather was fine but we did not know that when we booked months ago.
Anyway, joined the queue at bag drop which went smoothly and then found the end of the line for Passport Control. Never before have I seen such queues at Munich Airport. It must have been more than 200 deep with just 1 window open. Fortunately, after about 10 minutes, they opened another window and called for those with EU passports so we were suddenly much closer to the additional window which had been opened. Surprisingly, the proportion of EU passport holders who joined us in the new queue was very low compared to those (I assume, non-EU) still in the original line.
Once past, security was fairly quick with friendly ladies getting everyone processed efficiently and quickly. Needless to say, the dreaded beep went off again as I walked through the scanner so I immediately assumed the position for the touch and scan. I'm getting an expert at this now. For the first time since her surgery last year, my wife also beeped but whether this was to do with all the titanium in her shoulder/arm or not, I have no idea. It certainly caused the hand-held scanner to get a bit rowdy but the security lady was clearly not worried about it.
Terminal 1 in Munich is quite sparse and has very little in the way of retail outlets. There appears to be only one counter where you can buy snacks, sweets, tea, coffee and alcohol. I certainly did not see any bars or restaurants unless they were upstairs on the lounge level.
We knew there had been a change of aircraft because the other couple with us had been moved from 13B and C to 21 D and E, with the change being cited as the reason. It was an A320 which pulled up at the gate though but it was one of those still equipped with the old type seats.
Boarding commenced just after 10 and, fortunately, we were one of the first on board so were able to stow our jackets and bag in the overhead bin.
It soon became evident that the flight was going to be almost full and it did not take long for the bun fights to begin over bin space. We had two American ladies going at each other next to us over a small amount of space still available which the one was protecting with her life because she was also sitting in an exit seat and knew she would have to store all her gear overhead. She won the argument as her husband eventually arrived while the two of them were still having words and he quickly pushed his bag into the space! ):
Eventually, everyone got themselves sorted and the doors were closed 10 minutes before we were due to leave. No ways were we going to be allowed to leave early but on the dot of 10:35 we were pushed back and, after a short taxi to 08L, we were on our way.
The CC were soon around with a choice of nuts, crisps or biscuits and drinks with the Duty Free (hahaha! I couldn't believe it when I saw some actually buying from the trolley) following.
Again, the CC were cheerful, helpful and efficient and could not be faulted on their service. I do think they could have done more to sort out the luggage issues during the boarding process though.
The flight itself was smooth enough with only a few bumps and thumps when we neared the English coast and for a while afterwards.
Just one quick circuit in the stack and we were dropped with a bit of a thump onto 27L which meant just a short taxi to gate 20 (or 520 as it is marked on the apron) of T5 and 10 minutes early.
We were soon off the plane, into Immigration which was empty, to a very friendly chatty young lad on the desk, through to the carousel where the suitcases soon started coming through in dribs and drabs. Fortunately, ours was one of the first and before many more minutes were up, we had said our goodbyes to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and were on the bus back to the car with a pleasant drive home to look forward to.

My ratings:
Ground staff: 4.5/5
CC: 4/5 (I would have given more but they should have been more visible and helpful in sorting out the boarding problems)
Refreshments/Food: 2.5/5
Aircraft (Cleanliness, appearance, etc) 5/5

Both flights, to and from Munich reaffirmed my complete satisfaction with BA on their regional/European flights.
#889367 by NV43
02 Dec 2014, 07:36
@welsheagle; thanks for the TR, I'll look forward to your Emirates postings. I suspect that they will be, rather, different.

One question; is your refreshment score for airside or airborne?
#889388 by welsheagle
02 Dec 2014, 16:10
Food score was for on board. If I gave a score for the facilities airside in Terminal 1 Zone B, it would have to be 1.5 out of 5.

I'm looking forward to Emirates as it will be my first experience with them.