#890458 by deep_south
17 Dec 2014, 14:55
It looks like I will be doing this trip a few times in the next few months.... First time in these CW seats, and an interesting comparison to my recent UC trip to Havana.

Got to T5 a little early; I tried to print my boarding pass (I had done online check in the previous day) but the machine told me to go the assistance desk. At the desk they had no idea why, and printed my pass and took my luggage.

They advised me to use the lounge at T5B (The flight left from T5C), so I made my way over. Arrived at about 11:25 for the 13:20 departure, and realised I had missed the main breakfast offering - only a few croissants and pastries were left, and a vat of porridge. A little disappointed, but managed to snack and made myself a good Bloody Mary. Absolutely no service provided; a cleaner goes round every few minutes but that’s it...

Self service bars & coffee machine, so no level of service at all. UC - wins this round.

Wandered over to T5C and the flight was boarding, so pretty much straight on. First time in these “reversible” CW seats; colleagues had told me some tales which I didn’t quite believe but I do now. If you are on an “inside” seat you need to clamber over the legs of the “outside” person if they are in bed mode; not very elegant. The seat is wider at the “head end” but narrow at the “foot end” where they all interleave… very efficient space utilisation I guess. But quite disconcerting to have food and drink passed to the “inside” person right under my nose without even an “excuse me” from the cabin crew – I guess they are used to this layout now.

Seat is a definate UC win.

Food and drink was OK; service was adequate, as used glasses & cups seemed to hang around for a while before being tidied up.

The flight itself was fine; not much turbulence; arrived on time, and then I had the fun of a first time visa user is Saudi Arabia so it took me about an hour to get through immigration, then collect my bag (which had no priority tag…) then get it x-rayed again, and then meet my colleague who had arrived before me on the LH Frankfurt flight.

So UC certainly wins on this showing – the return leaves at 01:15 so will be a different comparison…
#890615 by Laphroaig
21 Dec 2014, 17:43
Due to used up most options on Virgin am looking at moving loyalties to BA but CW reviews usually fill me with sense of dread. Flying First with BA for next couple of flights but after that there will me more CW .... Oh Dear !
#890628 by Blacky1
21 Dec 2014, 20:05
Laphroaig wrote:Due to used up most options on Virgin am looking at moving loyalties to BA but CW reviews usually fill me with sense of dread. Flying First with BA for next couple of flights but after that there will me more CW .... Oh Dear !

I'm sure CW will be ok ,most people would see it as a luxurious treat
#890639 by PaulS
21 Dec 2014, 23:29
Just flown CW to JFK on upper deck 747. This is by far a more relaxing special experience than on a A330 UC. If you get the right seat on the right aircraft.CW is a great product
#890660 by clarkeysntfc
22 Dec 2014, 13:42
Laphroaig wrote:Due to used up most options on Virgin am looking at moving loyalties to BA but CW reviews usually fill me with sense of dread. Flying First with BA for next couple of flights but after that there will me more CW .... Oh Dear !

First world problems eh? :P
#890664 by gfonk
22 Dec 2014, 14:08
Blacky1 wrote:

I'm sure CW will be ok ,most people would see it as a luxurious treat

lol exactly.

Its funny - the first world problem. I remember the days when Business Class travel was not even an option for me. To be honest I will miss flying VS UC but I am happy with a flat bed. Rather that than PE. At least you can stretch out and lie down on a flat bed.
I will be doing my first BA CW flight very shortly so will see how its like.
#890681 by Maximus
22 Dec 2014, 17:30
gfonk wrote:Its funny - the first world problem. I remember the days when Business Class travel was not even an option for me.

Me also gfonk. It is very easy yo become accustomed to the luxuries but I do try and remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to travel at all, let alone in such comfort.

It is always a shock when I return home to normality :) I spent the last few days staying in the Waldorf Astoria in Versailles, a very grand hotel which I got for a steal via BA Holidays many months ago. I felt very pampered there, nothing was too much trouble for them. It is the most luxurious hotel I have stayed in certainly. But today I am back home doing the laundry and mucking out the chicken coop! What a come down ;)
Virgin Atlantic