#891039 by pjh
28 Dec 2014, 20:35
Again, a single compressed TR combining EK565 BLR-DXB and EK003 DXB-LHR...

I've definitely led a sheltered life. My short India trip proved to be an "experience" for me; strange, odd and intense. While Bangalore has hotels that play "FairyT ale of New York" over the pa and some excellent microbreweries and almost every major company present, it also has pavements where you're likely to fall into a hole or be garrotted by internet and power cables strung between trees and a chaotic and random road network, where traffic signals are treated, like the pirates' code, "more as guidelines than actual rules" and you're likely to find someone driving towards you on your side of the road as it is convenient to do so. I took a day off and had a trip out to Mysore, where the intensity of devotion at the temples took me off guard - as did the 9 hour road trip to get there and back.

Photo 14-12-2014 13 10 39 compressed.jpg
The romantic view for the travelling consultant
Photo 14-12-2014 13 10 39 compressed.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

As diverted as I may have been, I had also been actively monitoring the return flights to see if I could blow my Skywards miles on an upgrade of the DXB-LHR leg. Denied for most days, the night before the flight EK site started to let me price up upgrades (which it hadn't before) so I began to think there was at least a chance of using miles. So despite the hotel's protestations that I didn't need a car at 6.15 for a 10.20 flight (even with Bangalore traffic) I stuck to my guns just to make sure I gave myself the best chance possible, with the contingency that at least I had lounge access via Priority Pass.

After what was a relaxed (these things are all relative) ride I was at the airport at 7.15. At which point it all threatened to go downhill. There's no Emirates station at Bangalore, and the Air India staff I first encountered seemed to take the approach of fobbing me off to someone else to get rid of me and my question about upgrading, until I hit the point where I was told by one chap that "the flight is full, no chance". This was then followed up by "Unless you are at least Skywards Silver?" On confirming that I was (and thanking the Lord I had found my previously mislaid Skywards card) chances began to improve..."there may be"...."there is but I need Emirates ok and they are not on yet". After several sessions of sitting "over there" the lady from the check out then approached and handed over the new boarding card, seat 8A. The upgrade was for this flight only, they couldn't tell me about my chances for DXB-LHR but I did have enough miles (just) to take my chances with enough time (just). I had previously promised myself that I would only be bothered about the the DXB-LHR leg (it being an A380) but bird in the hand, half a loaf and all that. At this point I reasoned that given the 1,5 hour layover - which had vanished to zero on the way out - this was the start of a fighting chance as I'd be off smartish. I would just have to make most efficient use of time going forward.

And so it was a very, very happy PJH who made his way to the Plaza Premium Lounge (which was, as it turns out, the same lounge I would have used with my Priority Pass access), pausing only briefly to find I couldn't unload my surplus rupees in duty free (USD only) and to notice that most of the tables in the quite well appointed general departure area had power points available. Quite a pleasant set up with cold and hot food (eggs cooked to order for breakfast), a bar (not yet open) and bread in the shape of a crocodile..

Photo 20-12-2014 02 42 37 compressed.jpg
Never mind Tiger Bread
Photo 20-12-2014 02 42 37 compressed.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

I know those V-Flyers who travel regularly are probably quite blase about such things, but the moment boarding was called I was off like a shot to see what my seat on this 777 would look and feel like (I had largely averted my eyes when passing through the J cabin on the outbound legs for fear of bursting into a heartfelt rendition of "It Should Have Been Me" and having to be unceremoniously ejected from one of the empty seats).

And here it is, right at the front of the J cabin To be honest, not the greatest and nowhere near the offering on the A380, and if in flat bed mode there would be much reaching over during food and drink service. Luckily my neighbour, like myself, opted to remain upright throughout so there was no problem, and with the added bulkhead space a lot of room to manoeuvre. Being at the front could also add precious minutes to my time in DXB to try my luck with the Spirit of Upgrades Present.

Photo 20-12-2014 04 26 45.jpg
Photo 20-12-2014 04 26 45.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

Not being offered champagne (orange or apple juice only) and being told off for removing my shoes were minor inconveniences at this point. The menu looked lovely, the IFE had both sound channels working and I was already deeply relaxed. This state was enhanced by an early departure (remember, every moment counts) and, once the crew were released to their duties, an offer of champagne in a magic glass that never seemed to empty, at least until usurped by a wine glass.
On this short-ish leg I opted to zone out with a film or two - "Get On Up" again as I could now hear the music, and "Edge of Tomorrow". It was quite an odd feeling, with the screens being a body length away and no privacy at all in respect of your and your neighbour's choices. Good job he seemed to have no objection to James Brown getting in a cold sweat or Tom Cruise being killed repeatedly.

Lunch was a lovely combination of a mezze starter and lamb chops, accompanied by a never ending glass of a fine red. The level of service was good.

Photo 20-12-2014 06 24 04.jpg
Lunch
Photo 20-12-2014 06 24 04.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

A clear day meant some fine desert views.

Photo 20-12-2014 07 47 24.jpg
Photo 20-12-2014 07 47 24.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

A few minutes early into DXB, I was onto the airbridge as soon as the First Class passengers had disembarked, and heading for the nearest EK representative in pursuit of information about upgrading he next leg. First directed to a desk where I was then told I needed to go to the desk "through connecting passenger security"....and security was mobbed. As it turned out though, the desk was "by", not "through", and so I headed over to the non mobbed end to enquire about my chances. After the "what Skywards status?" question was correctly answered, I was told I didn't quite have enough miles, but purchasing was an option.......at the other end of the desk, where the queue was! Luckily the chap at the desk was efficient, soon it was my turn and £120 later I had enough miles to return to the other end of the desk with "a 99%" certainty I could bag an upgrade. A 1% uplift in my chances happened, and I was on my way a very happy bunny with a new boarding pass, trailing profuse thanks to the desk staff in my wake.

It was also the case that I had very efficiently swapped time in the security queue for time acquiring the upgrade as the security queues had by now vanished, I was straight through into the lounge with time to spare ("half an hour for a break" I commented to the lady at the desk...."twenty minutes" she replied) for a refreshing glass of something fizzy with which to celebrate my good fortune. Yes, I had completely emptied my Skywards account but apart from being back home with the family this was the best Christmas present to myself I could have wished for.

My sense of good fortune continued once I had boarded the aircraft, as I had been allocated the window suite at the front of the J cabin. Last year when flying back from Australia we had taken a central pair and wondered what the window seats would be like. As it turned out, ideally suited to the indvidual traveller, with all my gear being able to be stored either in front of me or in the storage under the window. There seemed to be one or two unoccupied central seats, with which I would have been perfectly happy, but I was doubly pleased with the Spirit Of Upgrades Present.

Photo 20-12-2014 09 53 51.jpg
Photo 20-12-2014 09 53 51.jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 6488 times

Perhaps I was in better mood than on last year's return from Australia where I'd thought the service efficient but distant, this time around they seemed warmer, proactive and more approachable. Oh, and we got offered champagne before take off. Service did seem to be by some non numeric rule, and if it was Skywards status than I must have been one of the few with status as I was seen first. Having eaten quite a lot on the earlier flight, and with a family function in prospect for the evening, I wasn't that bothered about a huge meal and so settled for the toastie - sorry, "signature Neil Perry Reuben sandwich" - which was actually as poor as I remembered it.

Now, you may call me shallow, but one of the things I was most looking forward to was sitting in the bar. Not so much for the content, as the novelty of flying without feeling that your are cooped up in a cell wired up to a TV. And so I did, for most of the flight, returning only to my seat to eat when I was told my food was ready. It is a more convivial area than the VS bar, with many who use it just taking advantage of the space and "lounge" feel, often with just a soft drink or coffee to hand. I have to admit that wasn't my style though, and when asked "can I get you anything?" by the young lady at the bar I did usually take something alcoholic alongside the copious quantity of salted nuts I consumed. You'll all be pleased to know what I remained compos mentis enough to have a lengthy (and I hope coherent) conversation with a fellow IT professional and also to type up my contribution to the PJH's annual Christmas Day quiz.

And I should leave it there, over a London of light after a day on which hope was embraced by opportunity and the music of the spheres rang out in harmony....or perhaps more prosaically I was bloody lucky to have the miles and to be able to take advantage of the upgrade availability, and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Photo 20-12-2014 18 21 45.jpg
Photo 20-12-2014 18 21 45.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
#891040 by Blacky1
28 Dec 2014, 20:53
A trip report is always better with pics ,I wish I knew how to do it !, sounds like a pretty good experience all round and the J seats on the A380 are def something I like the look of and want to try one day ( along with the bar ) .
Thanks for posting
#891043 by hiljil
28 Dec 2014, 21:06
Thank you for a most entertaining read. How wonderful that you were blessed by the Spirit of Upgrades.
Thank you for including photos.
#891199 by ultreen1
29 Dec 2014, 23:56
Wow!!! Amazing trip report!!! I loved it!!!
Lady Luck was with you that day...sounds like you had great flights. I'd love to try the bar on a EK A380...maybe one day!!
D
#891205 by iforres1
30 Dec 2014, 05:33
Great to read a trip report on a route I travel fairly frequently landing into BLR but always departing from BOM. Next time I will leave through BLR. I also got told off for taking my shoes off before departure, but this was in COK. The downside about departing from India as you mention is the no champers pre take off, but glad they looked after you all the way home and good result with the upgrades.
Iain
#891350 by Maximus
31 Dec 2014, 16:19
Great review, thanks.

Now start getting that account loaded with points again :)
#893063 by ColOrd
20 Jan 2015, 20:33
What a brilliant set of Trip Reports for all four flights, the tension was clearly mounting throughout with getting that DXB-LHR sector upgraded!! I had a little cheer when it got to that point!!

From yours and a lot of others I have read EK do seem consistently "meh" in Y?!
#893095 by pjh
20 Jan 2015, 22:34
ColOrd wrote:What a brilliant set of Trip Reports for all four flights, the tension was clearly mounting throughout with getting that DXB-LHR sector upgraded!! I had a little cheer when it got to that point!!

Thanks. My blood pressure medication was working at its limits...

ColOrd wrote:From yours and a lot of others I have read EK do seem consistently "meh" in Y?!

Decent legroom and (sound problems aside) IFE, but the service on recent BA flight to Sao Paulo in Y (TR to follow) was so much better...

ColOrd wrote:Is that bread really shaped like a crocodile or just a misshaped croissant?

Definitely crocodile....
Virgin Atlantic