#893614 by welsheagle
26 Jan 2015, 10:12
Very early start from home on a wet, dank morning to Cardiff airport for an 06:10 departure. Fortunately, at that time of the morning, traffic was minimal and, even with flooded roads, spray and very leaky clouds, i was soon parking up in a surprisingly empty car park.
I had already checked in on-line on Saturday evening (Seq 1 for both outbound and inbound flights) so straight through an empty security check (more staff than passengers!) - officers very friendly and chatty - and a coffee and Danish for breakfast.
Boarding was a little later than the time stated on the BP but with only 29 pax and 3 crew on a boringly all-white ATR42 (EI-EHH), the doors were closed and push and start commenced 8 minutes early.
The interior of the aircraft was clean and the leather seats, while narrow were comfortable enough and, even though I had no-one in the seat next to me, I did not feel the need to lift the armrest for more space.
It was just a short taxi to the end of runway 30 with a short wait after lining up and we were off.
Being an ATR with a light load, we were airborne after only a short run and immediately disappeared into the murk, climbing to our cruising altitude of just 18000 feet (Now that the EU are going to firce the UK railways to go metric, i wonder how long it will be before they start working on the aviation industry to do likewise?).
The single CC was soon busy distributing the usual drinks and breakfast which consisted of a choice between a tiny bag of mixed somethings or one of two breakfast bars. I have to say though, the coffee was hot and the best I have ever tasted on a flight. That alone is enough to get me back on Cityjet again!
The flight was smooth. accompanied by the usual noise and vibration of a turboprop until about 10 minutes before TOD when it started getting a bit gnarly and the seat belt signs came on.
The descent itself started off smoothly until in a very tight turn onto finals when it started to bounce around and swing from side to side. Although there was hardly any breeze to talk of on the ground, it certainly seemed that there was quite a cross wind for the last few hundred feet on the approach. Sitting in 11A, I could see the ailerons flipping up and down as the FC tried to keep us straight and level.
Turned off the runway and did what felty like a high speed taxi to the gate where we pulled up just 2 minutes ahead of schedule.
All in all, a pleasant flight with an efficient, friendly CC and now looking forward to the return flight home again this evening.