#894396 by Sealink
04 Feb 2015, 23:25
A quick trip north to visit my parents as my dad was a bit ill. He's on the mend now however, so all good!

Flybe annoucned a tranche of routes from London City - putting them in direct competition with CityJet and British Airways to Dublin; British Airways to Amsterdam and Edinburgh, a strange choice of Exeter, and two sure fire hits: Aberdeen and Inverness.

Sadly, Inverness has not worked at all, which just highlights the fickleness of the travelling public. The service ends in three weeks and given that there were 24 passengers on my flight, I could see why. So Inverness - London will be solely easyJet's domain.

Getting from to London City Airport is so easy now - just jump on the Jubilee Line to Canning Town, and go up an escalator to the DLR service.

Security was a breeze and the airport itself was looking very smart (I am previously on record of saying I really dislike it!) and was a joy to use.

A waiting room with a view of the runway.... and time to relax as only a plane-spotter knows how! I won't bore you with too many pics...

My aircraft (Dash 8 Q400) awaits!

Boarding was on time (despite the snow and freezing weather....)

Aircraft configuration is 2-2 so I didn't pay FlyBe £6.50 for a seat reservation, and the flight looked very empty.

Crew were very friendly (they all seemed to be from Norn Iron, even the pilot!).

Legroom was fine.

Up and away!

Prosecco from a plastic cup. Classy. (I did ask the crew if it was too early for Presecco and they assured me it was not...!)

And then the bumpiest, scariest landing ever!
Our little plane was buffeted and shaken, crockery rattled, sick bags were being used and I thought I was going to meet my maker!

We landed - with the nose of the aircraft at 45 degree angle from the runway, but of course these little aircraft are used to such things and the pilot soon got things right.

Then a three hour journey north... to big sky country!

NB - Cost of this flight was £20
#894413 by hiljil
05 Feb 2015, 08:05
Thank you for a "different" TR. The photos were great and made the journey very real !

Glad your Father is on the mend. y)
#894847 by pjh
07 Feb 2015, 18:49
Just caught this one. Usual great photos!

As the others said, glad your dad is on the mend.
#894876 by Maximus
07 Feb 2015, 22:48
Thanks for the TR. A flight to my childhood city. Last time I flew LHR-GLA-INV on BA we also had a bumpy landing. The flight from GLA-INV was so noisey i could not hear my Walkman (tes it was that long ago) and the aircraft had landed before I even got to drink my coffee!

I drive there now, all the way from Devon.

I have yet to try the EXT-LCY flight. May give it a whirl later this year.
Virgin Atlantic