#894907 by DragonLady
08 Feb 2015, 11:51
Whilst this is still fresh in my mind I'll try and get this done....
After bobbing about Australia for the past few weeks our time had come to an end and at the crack of dawn we left for the airport having spent a great last nigh with friends in Elwood ( food and drinks at Riva in St Kilda).
We arrived at the airport and dropped the car at Hertz and took the walkway over to international departures .
I'd checked in on - line but hadn't printed boarding cards so we used the business check in desk where we were seen immediately and the bags checked through Invites for the CX lounge in MEL and the CX arrivals lounge in HKG were issued along with fasttrack security vouchers.
Security was a bit of a shambles with fasttrack being longer than the ordinary queue and the usual issue if people not taking off belts coats etc.
Once through we headedv to the CX lounge which is on the floor below departures. As lounges go it was ok with a fairly basic food and beverage menu ( nothing like the CX lounges at HKG). I got a couple of cups of coffee and some dim sum and we decided to head upstairs to the gate before the flight was called. As we took the escalator back up the flight was being called so we walked straight into the business lane and were on board almost immediately ( 3 class 320 airbus , business, PE and Y)
I'd selected 14K ( with Mr DL in 15 K) this time and was shown to my seat by one of the cabin crew - this set the tone for the flight and the service level was excellent from the minute we boarded to the minute we disembarked. A tray of fruit juice cocktails was brought and I must admit I did miss my usual glass of fizz.
Boarding seemed to take an age but eventually the FSM announced the doors were closing and we were on our way. I'd thought the cabin was full but there were a few empty seats and the set in front of me had a crew rest area sign on it.
The new CX business seat is pretty comfortable and similar in size and function to the New BA F seat ( save for the table) and the window seats face the windows ( again similar to the BA F seats)
The seats and aircraft in general were all very clean ( with the loos remaking so for the duration of the flight) and hot towels provided three times .
The breakfast run commenced about half an hours after being airborne and consisted of both western and oriental options after the standard fruit , granola and bread basket ( I chose the raisin toast). I opted for the prawn noodles ( delicious)and Mr DL opted for the omelette with sausage ( which he didn't rate). All CX service is done off a trolley which I have to say I really like ( as it gives you the option of seeing the food before choosing).
Beverages were brought on a separate trolley with service being pro-active.
Once breakfast was cleared I settled to watch a couple of films ( The Judge and St Vincent , both of which I'd recommend).
Lunch was served about 3 hours after breakfast - no choice of starter ( salmon) , a choice of mains ( I opted for the beef tenderloin) followed by cheese and fruit and then ice cream.
The drinks trolley had been wheeled out before lunch ( a swift JD and diet coke as I didn't fancy the gin offering which was Bombay) and wine and port served with lunch ( I opted for the Shiraz which was more than drinkable and some port with my cheese). The offer of hot drinks followed ( which I declined) followed by more hot towels .
After lunch I watched another film ( which was so rubbish that I can't even remember what it was called!) and listened to some music having moved the seat into a more reclined position :) . Mr DL had converted his seat and slept soundly for a good couple of hours.
Cabin crew were constantly visible and far more responsive / proactive than my last few VS flights. Nothing was too much trouble and all done with a genuine smile.I'd expected a snack before landing in HKG but this didn't materialise and we touched down in HKG ahead of schedule.
We were off the plane promptly (via L1) and a swift stomp to immigration saw us through in record time. The bags however took an age - there were several announcements advising of delays because of a problem with the baggage handlers and once they started to arrive ours were out in the first 15 :) .
So in conclusion an excellent flight with attentive responsive crew . Lets hope the trip home tomorrow (in F with BA ) is as good :) .
If I'm being ultra picky the only thing I'd mark down was not having my CX status recognised ( which it had been on the CX flight down to Perth). It seems that on the manifest it showed as one world and not CX ( the FSM did come and say she'd changed it ).

DL
#894909 by hiljil
08 Feb 2015, 11:59
Thank you for your detailed TR. So pleased the service was good and you enjoyed that leg of your journey.
Do hope BA First impresses as some recent TR's have had mixed reviews.
#894910 by Blacky1
08 Feb 2015, 12:03
Thanks for posting a very prompt and most enjoyable TR DL ,sounds like a very good flight all round .
Are you sure you were on a 320 and not a 330 ? ,Just curious being the plane enthusiast ( nerd ) that I am !!
#894911 by DragonLady
08 Feb 2015, 12:05
hiljil wrote:Thank you for your detailed TR. So pleased the service was good and you enjoyed that leg of your journey.
Do hope BA First impresses as some recent TR's have had mixed reviews.

Thanks hiljil - the trip out to HKG was BA F and was good ( but nowhere near as awesome as our EK F suites trip on the 380..... xx( ).

DL
#894913 by DragonLady
08 Feb 2015, 12:09
Blacky1 wrote:Thanks for posting a very prompt and most enjoyable TR DL ,sounds like a very good flight all round .
Are you sure you were on a 320 and not a 330 ? ,Just curious being the plane enthusiast ( nerd ) that I am !!

Sorry Blacky fat finger syndrome ....'twas a 330 :D .

DL
#894914 by Blacky1
08 Feb 2015, 12:15
DragonLady wrote:
Blacky1 wrote:Thanks for posting a very prompt and most enjoyable TR DL ,sounds like a very good flight all round .

Sorry Blacky fat finger syndrome ....'twas a 330 :D .

DL

Lol, enjoy The flight tomorrow,look forward to hearing your views y)
#894939 by Hamster
08 Feb 2015, 14:47
A380 first is great, loads of room! Managed to seat 3 of us in one 'Suite', one on seat and 2 on the buddy seat.

Thanks for the TR and hope your flight home is good!
#894949 by Maximus
08 Feb 2015, 16:47
Thanks for the TR. I have never flown CX myself but they alweays seem to deliver a high standard.

How was St Kilda? I used to live there!
#894992 by DragonLady
08 Feb 2015, 23:19
Maximus wrote:Thanks for the TR. I have never flown CX myself but they alweays seem to deliver a high standard.

How was St Kilda? I used to live there!

St Kilda is as busy as ever . :D . Our friends live on Marine Parade - great views from their living room and a 10 minute walk info both St Kida and Elwood :D .
CX comes highly recommended y) .
DL
#895210 by Jacki
10 Feb 2015, 21:05
Very interesting and informative TR as usual - CX seem to be doing everything right at the moment. Hope the BA flight home didn't disappoint. y)
Virgin Atlantic