#897605 by Concorde RIP
04 Mar 2015, 19:53
So, for those that read my TR for the US Airways flight into PHL in the snow, this was my connection back to LHR in club.

The flight had been slightly delayed on the way in, so we headed into the BA lounge which was very close to the gate.

This lounge was quite nice actually, and we spent a good 1.5 hours in there awaiting news of our departure snakcing and, for me, a few bottles of beer.

Flight called with a delay of 45 or so minutes.

And, on board we went, greetted by name and we settled into 12J and K.

Usual flurry of champagne, amenity kits etc, then more champagne and still more champagne.

And then…

“Evening everyone, this is the captain. There’s a small delay as we need to wait for the Lufhansa plane beside us to push back before we can move. I suspect we may need to wait here another 15 minutes or so, but will come back to you when I have more news for you”.

Again, if you read my previous TR, you’ll start to see that captain’s announcements and snow were rapidly becoming the theme of the afternoon/evening.

You see, it was still snowing very heavily!

…20 minutes later….

“Captain again. Apparently there is a vehicle stuck behind us that is preventing the Lufthansa from moving, so we’ll be stuck here a little longer I’m afraid. I’ll be sure and keep you updated”.

I won’t go through all the announcements, but will say this.

For the 2.5 hours or so we were sat waiting for push back etc, the captain made regular and informative announcements that kept everyone in the loop, but also had the affect that no-one was getting stressed and giving the cabin crew a hard time. Everyone felt informed and that the captain was doing his best to get us moving.

During this time as well, the CC were around frequently with drinks and bottles of water, they also took the opportunity to take dinner orders.

On this flight, the entire crew were outstanding (feeback sent to BA).

At one point, the captain actually left the plane for a look see, going to find out exactly what was going on down on the ramp – rather him than me, it was snowing hard and must have been freezing..

He also did something I had never seen before and wasn’t aware was now a requirement.

After, maybe 1.5 or 2 hours (hard to say, I had consumed about about 1.5 bottles of champagne by this point!), he made this announcement.

“Hello again folks. I am obliged to tell you that the cabin door is now open, and you may leave the flight if you so choose. If you do leave us, you will not be able to re-board, but I have to make the offer to you all”.

I guess this must be some US regulation of which I was unaware.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we pushed back after around 2.5 hours, and then waited in the queue for de-icing, then to take off – take off was perhpaps 3.5 hours behind original schedule.

Given the quantity of snow, however, I count myself fairly lucky that we got going at all as I believe other US airports that day were experiencing massive delays, and in some cases were totally closed for a time.

Nothing much to report on the flight and service beyond this point. Dinner was served rapidly after take off plus all the usual pre-dinner drinks, hot towels etc. Dinner was very good (yet more beef for me), drinks plentiful.

I bedded down and got at least 3.5 hours sleep and woke up smelling the coffee for breakfast!

Fruit plus pastries etc, OJ and coffee and I was ready for the day ahead.

Smooth touch down, through immigration quickly and bags were waiting.

Altogether, BA did a fine job on this flight, and the delay was totally out of their control and the crew managed the delay extremely well.

Thanks for reading.
#897608 by marshy11
04 Mar 2015, 19:59
Blimey sounds like a nightmare with the caveat a bottle and a half of champagne may dull the pain. ):

Keep calm and carry on. You did us proud. y)
#897612 by PaulS
04 Mar 2015, 20:12
Communication with the Captain seems to be a high on the service level list at the moment. I have just had a post flight feedback questionnaire and one of the first questions was regarding the Captain speaking to passengers. It's my experience that BA captains usually stick their heads into F or J when they have the time or opportunity, on our flight to KIN in February the Captain had my three grandsons all sat in the captains seat pre doors closing and on a flight back from MIA last year the Captain actually went down onto the apron as the pushchairs did arrive in a timely fashion. What's more he held all the crew back until all passengers were reunited with their pushchairs and had left the airbridge. There is nothing worse than seeing the crew march past you whilst your still waiting. I think this level of service is where BA Is making progress.
#897617 by slinky09
04 Mar 2015, 20:18
There are three important questions:
1) what champagne marque?
2) forward or reverse?
3) 767 or 787 or 777?

Good come though from the crew and sounds a great flight.
#897627 by hiljil
04 Mar 2015, 21:09
Thank you for another interesting and different TR. You have certainly had your fill of snow . I trust "Frozen " wasn't showing on your flight !!
Glad it was a good one and you did not get snowbound overnight.
#897644 by Concorde RIP
04 Mar 2015, 22:19
Marshy - I was definitely feeling "relaxed" by the time we took off - that's for sure!

Paul - an interesting observation. The capt sounded quite natural about it all though, and the rest of the crew were really excellent as well. Maybe BA have realised that authoritative announcements defuse other issues, as I witnessed.

Slinky - 1) I don't know, I was too busy quaffing it! (and, I can't see the bottle anyway). 2) Forward for me, my daughter was backward - erm, so to speak! 3) B777 - a plane I seem to fly on a very great deal these days - still miss the 747 though!

HillJill - that's funny! Didn't use the IFE (never do), but that would have been irony, now wouldn't it.

Thanks for your replies...
#897651 by Hev60
04 Mar 2015, 22:54
Wow, that's a series of unfortunate events (HL would be proud to post that TR ): ) Sounds like a good BA flight.

Great that the crew and the captain were efficient. I wonder if such a positive feedback would come from the economy passengers who were cooped up for 3.5hours before takeoff though ;)
#897657 by PaulS
04 Mar 2015, 23:36
[quote="slinky09"]There are three important questions:
1) what champagne marque

Good come though from the crew and sounds a great flight.[/qu

Usually Tattinger NV in club
#897659 by pjh
04 Mar 2015, 23:53
PaulS wrote:Communication with the Captain seems to be a high on the service level list at the moment. I have just had a post flight feedback questionnaire and one of the first questions was regarding the Captain speaking to passengers. It's my experience that BA captains usually stick their heads into F or J.

I had the same experience on Easyjet when I flew with them on a twice weekly basis for a couple of years only without the F or J....
#897697 by honey lamb
05 Mar 2015, 14:23
Hev60 wrote:Wow, that's a series of unfortunate events (HL would be proud to post that TR ): )

Meh! A mere trifling compared with my EI flight from Cork to LHR - a flight of normally roughly one hour - due to take off at 8.20pm and which had me arrive in LHR at 3.30am! :o)

Mind you, fair play to BA for managing the delay so well. y)
#897700 by oldboy
05 Mar 2015, 14:37
Thank you for the TR, a very enjoyable read, it seems like BA performed really well in aspects of service, I am making my first BA long haul trip for many years next month, hopefully I will experience similar service.

oldboy
#897703 by pjh
05 Mar 2015, 14:47
oldboy wrote:Thank you for the TR, a very enjoyable read, it seems like BA performed really well in aspects of service, I am making my first BA long haul trip for many years next month, hopefully I will experience similar service.

Albeit a very limited sample, I thought the service on the outbound leg of my (economy class) trip to Brazil excellent.
#897708 by Concorde RIP
05 Mar 2015, 15:04
Hev60 wrote:Wow, that's a series of unfortunate events (HL would be proud to post that TR ): ) Sounds like a good BA flight.

Oh, I wouldn't have the temerity to challenge HL on anything - not on disaster rating, not on writing TRs, not on ability to absorb G&T - not anything (cowers in corner).
#897817 by pjh
06 Mar 2015, 10:23
Blacky1 wrote:An enjoyable read ,it certainly wants to get me booking my first CW trip

Having walked through the CW cabin for the first time recently, I was glad I opted for VS to fly us to Boston when I was mulling over BA vs VS.
Virgin Atlantic