#898446 by deep_south
12 Mar 2015, 12:42
My first time to South Africa; I did consider VS but the BA flight times were a little better for me, and this flight takes to me to one short of gold on BA, so that (and the lounge access) swung it for me. I am silver on VS but no way to get to gold this year.

Check in to a quiet T5 at 19:00, and through security very quickly. Bought a SA plug adapter - was told they need a special one; round pins, so it looks like a (very old) UK plug, or India, but uses thcker prongs so I didn't have a match.

Saw the departure was from the B gates, so went to the lounge there - I find that lounge usually quiter than the main lounges. Used my silver card - courtesy of my CW flights to Saudi - and had a jacket potato with Beef Chile for supper and a few drinks.

We were late boarding; an initial 20 minute delay turned into a 45 minute late departure, due to "congestion in the airport meaning the aircraft was late being towed into position" according to the first officer. Strange as it was at the gate quite early with food being loaded, but the cabin crew couldn't board "until security checks were completed"; once they were on, they then had to do their own security checks before boarding commenced... seems strange that multiple checks are needed? Don't they trust the other teams?

Anywsay they had announced during the delay it was a light load, and sure enough Y was a lot less than half full - I had a row of 4 to myself as did many others.

45 minutes late departing, trundled to the runway and took off.

This was a fairly old 747, and the Y seat was standard, in the first block after CW. IFE screen was small but adequate; I declined all food, just had a drink and then tried to doze - which was reasonably successful.

Obviously not as comfy as a CW bed, but for £660 rather then £4,500 it was reasonable value...

landed 20 minutes late to an empty immigration hall; through quickly, waited about 15 minutes for the luggage and then off to find my driver.

I wasn't too rough after the overnight flight; the departure time of 20:50 for an 11 hour flight could have been brutal but the fact the Y was empty made a huge difference.

My return is on the A380 on a Thursday at the end of March; I hope it is as empty as this one!
#898447 by hiljil
12 Mar 2015, 12:48
Thank you for your TR. It certainly must make a difference to an economy experience having a row to yourself.
Good luck for your return flight being the same !
#898459 by pjh
12 Mar 2015, 16:34
With a row to snooze on, a bargain? How did you find the service?
#899586 by LucyLu
28 Mar 2015, 18:39
Sounds very similar to my trip from LHR to JNB on 09-Mar. Light EC load and 4 seats to myself. My flight back on the Friday was busier and I had booked an exit seat, which was comfortable once I had installed my footrest (my small trolley case with a cushion on top!)