#899684 by mallin
30 Mar 2015, 12:26
This was our first BA flight so was really looking forward to it, could only get WT+ return even with checking daily to see if any Club reward seats would become available. checked in online as soon as it opened but only managed seq14 and 15. After dropping the car off at Dollar after a lovely 10 days in Vegas and Death Valley made our way to Terminal 3 all new to us. It was very spacious and airy found the check in no problem although all the desks were free we were directed to Club check in.

Thought no harm in asking about a reward upgrade but was politely told that BA only do cash upgrades from overseas as they do not have the facility to do reward seats upgrade from their end. The check in agent however put priority tags on our luggage which we thought was strange but having never flown Premium economy thought nothing more about it. Found the Burger King had a good meal each as having been disappointed on most aircraft food in the past. Found the boarding gate sat down then about 10 minutes later they called my name to the desk, we are overbooked would you pay for an upgrade to Club the price was ridiculous so politely declined, said I had enough for a reward seat if possible, not to worry he said and did a FREE UPGRADE without using any points :o nearly fell backwards. Our first flight with BA no status only Blue. They then proceeded to call people to fill the Club and Premium Economy cabins.

We were in row 11 F and G, seats were quite comfortable but we did not like the way they are arranged and now realise what everyone goes on about the stepping over the footstool bit, whoever designed, that layout must have been crazy talk about gymnastics. WE were actually greeted by name but everything was rather mechanical and robotic by the cabin crew, no interaction at all no explaining how everything worked we soon had it figured. Liked the way the seats reclined and think they are more comfortable than Virgins, but like the layout in Virgins fleet better. We liked that we could see and talk to each other in between. the IFE is farther away than Virgins but the screen was clearer and better sound quality.

Got the meal choice, there is only beef left the CC said so had that only it was tasteless so did not have any meal glad we had eaten the Burger king, pudding was chocolate tort which was rubbery. if we had paid full price would have been very disappointed. Tried to sleep but only dozed watched a couple of films, and breakfast was fresh fruit salad and a bacon roll which again was inedible. Food was literally thrown at us no offer of an alternative and no interaction apart from the initial greeting very mechanical.

Good flight no bumps along the way very smooth and landed ahead of time. We have another two BA flights coming up next one in 7 weeks to Calgary again WT+ out Club back, they have changed our aircraft twice so far and seats, so will report back on how that goes. Thanks for reading Linda
#899687 by hiljil
30 Mar 2015, 13:14
Thank you for an interesting TR. I was so pleased for you as I read about the free upgrade but disappointed that the food was so poor. Much of what you wrote I so agree with - especially ( you know what is coming !) the climbing over a stranger's feet.

Hope the food on your next BA flights is much better. I usually have no complaints other than the cafeteria style delivery. :(. And I miss cereals for breakfast !!!! Can't see why it would be so hard to provide even one variety.
#899689 by whiterose
30 Mar 2015, 13:39
Thanks Linda, what a surprise to get a free upgrade. Useful to have your reactions to smaller things like the clarity of the IFE screen. Sorry the food was so dismal, hope it's better for you next time.
#899693 by Daffodil
30 Mar 2015, 14:08
Thanks for the TR and congratulations on the upgrade. How disappointing that the food and service was so poor. I hope it will improve on your next BA flights.
#899714 by pjh
30 Mar 2015, 17:22
Shame about the service and food, which sounds distinctly like the kind that would be generating "letter to Crawley Towers" responses were it on a VS flight.

However y) for the upgrading. They did the same to #1 Son on the final leg of his RTW (from WT to WT+) and he was sooooooo happy.

Calgary in 7 weeks? Gadabouts.
#899716 by mallin
30 Mar 2015, 18:25
One thing forgot to mention the amenity bag was quite good, like a shoe bag very large with a drawstring top full of Elemis goodies, which were very much appreciated as after 10 days in 80 degrees my skin was drying out fast. Skin lotion and night time rejuvenate cream, lip balm and some super ear plugs which actually did the job.

This trip was not scheduled Paul, the Calgary one was our main trip of the year and most expensive. This Vegas one was a last minute fed up with weather here one (as you do). Bank balance will have to take a rest for a while as it recuperates. :0 Linda
#899733 by buns
30 Mar 2015, 20:12
Thanks fora great TR y) y)

Nice to "compare and contrast" your experience against my recent trip back from Las Vegas in UC. The most startling revelation in your TR was how BA do not do miles upgrades overseas :0 At least you got that upgrade for nil points and zero cash ):

Thanks once again

buns
Virgin Atlantic