#899790 by deep_south
31 Mar 2015, 13:24
My 2.5 week business trip completed - quite successfully I am pleased to say - and I was more than ready to get back home. It's a long while since my business trips were longer than a week! And due to my work patterns (mainly night shifts) I didn't get much sightseeing done; just one viait to the Lion Park.

I had booked onto the earlier BA flight bsaed on more convenient timings, so I was on the A380 this time.

Interesting contrast between a new A380 and an old B747. This flight was absolutely full in all cabins, so no space to spread out compared to the luxury of a pretty empty Y cabin on the way down.

Another overnight flight - dep 20:25, arr into T5 at 05:30.

This was pretty much a standard Y flight.I had selected the upper deck aisle seat and it was a standard Y cabin and service. The A380 was reasonably quiet, but I found the seats to be on the firm side and not too comfortable. Food & drinks were as expected and service was OK.

The IFE is the same as the rest of the fleet - which I giuess is good for consistency, but after several long hauls to Saudi there wasn't much for me to watch. I woukd have thought they did "extra" on the A380 and B787...

As I had eaten in the lounge, I didn't eat much off the tray, and tried to sleep - without too much sucess. So I dozed a bit, but couldn't really settle down due to the lack of space & the firmness of the seat cushion. There were a few bits of hwavy turbulence as well.

We landed a few minutes early and then trundled round to the C gates, where the scrum to (a) get off the plane, (b) get to the tram and (c) actually get on the tram was "interesting". I felt sorry for the people at the B gates who had no chance of getting on - not what you want after an overnight flight. I guess the walkway from B is a good bet in that situation!

Fortunately I managed to overtake a few people and was through immigration quickly but then had to wait about 30 minutes for the baggage to come through. All the crew bags came off first, followed by the rest with no apparent priority to it.

Collected by my taxi, and round to the office to pick up the car - which had a flat battery after sitting for 3 weeks in the cold! First time that has happened to me for a very long time. Fortunately got a jump start from security and I was quickly on my way and got home (near Southampton) by 07:45.

So an average flight; no specific highlights but reinforcing I am too old for long haul overnight economy!
#899797 by hiljil
31 Mar 2015, 16:35
Thank you for your TR. It is funny how an "average" flight somehow seems disappointing these days !
Quite agree about age and long haul in economy. Just hope my bank manager is sympathetic for years to come ..... ):
#899798 by Hamster
31 Mar 2015, 16:41
Thanks for the TR.

I find it strange you had run out of things to watch on BA's current IFE! I know there is limited viewing on the 747's and some 777's but the Thales IFE library is massive! Though I would't necessarily want to watch all of it!

I do like the A380, much nicer overall environment compared to the 747's
#899835 by deep_south
01 Apr 2015, 10:08
I find it strange you had run out of things to watch on BA's current IFE! I know there is limited viewing on the 747's and some 777's but the Thales IFE library is massive! Though I would't necessarily want to watch all of it!

I do like the A380, much nicer overall environment compared to the 747's

I know what you mean, but I have done several long hauls to Saudi Arabia in the last couple of months; good news - I will be BA gold in 2 weeks; bad news - the BA IFE changes as frequently as Virgin's!

I do wonder whether the "nicer" environment on the A380 is mainly down to it being a newer / cleaner / lighter environment than the decidedly older BA 747. I find the Virgin A330 and LGW B747's quite a nice place as well.... maybe it is psychological as much as anything else.
#899914 by Maximus
02 Apr 2015, 05:14
Thsnks for the TR and glad to near your trip was a success.

I echo the thoughts above, now I am in my mid-twenties <cough, cough> there is no way I would manage long-haul in Y, especially at night. We have agreed that if we can not travel J or F we would not go on the trip. East coast States is do-able in W on a day flight though (if we must :) .
Virgin Atlantic