#900843 by Bretty
13 Apr 2015, 04:48
So, the day finally arrived for us to make the return journey to Japan, a country I've wanted to visit since I was 16 and am now fortunate to have visited twice.

As many of you will know, I was one of a number of v-flyers who were affected by the closure of the NRT route, and by sticking to my guns since we were booked on M to G miles upgrades, VS reprotected us onto an ANA codeshare in J at no extra cost to us. It took some sorting out though, but once it had happened for one pax it set a precedent that the FC customer service staff couldn't argue with.

As mentioned in an earlier post, we made our way to LHR by train from Lincolnshire and I thought I'd been Honey Lambed, but only time will tell. We use a railcard and it was due to expire before our return leg so I went online to renew, but obviously won't have the valid card with me, and it turns out that an email and proof of renewal cannot replace the card and so we might end up being penalised either by having to buy new full fare tickets or a fine. Virgin Trains East Coast said I should see what happens on the day and if we have to buy new tickets we can claim a refund. However, on the outbound journey we were not asked for the card, so you never know!

Anyway, journey good, arrived into KGX and took an Uber across town to Paddington for the overpriced but super quick Heathrow Express and arrived at LHR T2 just before 14:30, for a 19:35 flight. First impressions of T2 were good, it's light and well designed, I really liked it. We'd completed online checkin (SEQ1 yay!), and when we arrived there was an ANA desk open. Then a new process for us, to scan passport and print luggage tag and tag our own bags before bag drop. anyway, all done no problem, and off we went headed for T2B and the United Lounge.

I tried to spend money in Duty Free but just couldn't, nothing I wanted or needed. I stayed away from Harrods lest I go mad and actually buy that handmade Montblanc watch I've been craving for! So off we went to the lounge, a walk of about 10-15 mins, and we arrived a 15:00, greeted by the friendly staff and got settled in. It's a really nice lounge, and I did the obligatory "waving from the lounge post" to v-flyer, and we got settled in for the afternoon. It was very quiet and therefore a calm relaxing space. I had a couple of glasses of champoo and a margarita, and plenty to eat from the well stocked buffet, and read for a couple of hours.

No announcements in the lounge and the boards said gate would be posted at 18:25, but it wasn't, and I kept checking. Eventually about 18:45 we were paged to the desk and took a call from the ANA ground crew. My hubby's selected seat was broken and they called to tell us he was being moved and was offered a couple of choices. Nice touch I thought. Anyway, the nice lady said we were boarding at gate 46, right opposite the lounge, starting at 19:05, so off we trotted.

First class, business and Diamond elites were called for boarding first and off we went, and warmly greeted onto the 77W, into seats 7F & 8K. I didn't take any photos of the cabin but I will on my return. I was really impressed with the business staggered layout.

So, to impressions of the seat and the flight service.

First, I really liked the seat, there's so much space as you have a side table and in front of you beneath the 17" touch screen you have your pullout dining table and beneath that a shelf to rest your feet, where the bedding is also stowed. This forms your bed when you transfer to lie flat mode. Beneath that there is stowage for hand luggage, and under the seat space for shoes. The overhead bin was huge and I had one all to myself, as did most pax from what I could see. There was plenty of room to spread out, compared to the UCS and the herringbone configuration where you have little storage space, an awkward little drink shelf over your shoulder, an armrest with a small stowage area underneath and the small ottoman. So there was a lot to like.

What I didn't like was that each pax was really isolated, and not that we do, but in this configuration 2 pax couldn't dine together. At times it felt a bit claustrophobic. But not too much, and on balance, I really did like the seat and the space to spread my sh*t!

On boarding I accepted an OJ (no rolling of eyes please) because I was feeling jaded after my session in the lounge. Pushback was about 19:35 and we were in the air a few minutes later. Then I accepted a glass of champoo, because I'm a v-flyer after all!

I got settled, the seatbelt signs went off, and never came back on until we were making our descent several hours later.

CC were friendly, attentive and service was generally good. Although they swept through the cabin frequently on what was essentially a night flight, with several pax still awake, they didn't do any drinks runs after dinner, and there was no call button that I could find. Whilst they gave a good inflight service, and were very professional, they were also a bit distant, and lacked the personality that VS CC have in bucket loads. There was little interaction unless they were getting you something and that fun, sassy element was missing. But, on balance, they were very good, but not great - I enjoy a bit of friendly banter.

So, to dinner. The food was excellent, I think the best I've had at 35,000 feet. There was a choice of Japanese or International menu. The International had the usual beef steak, chicken, pasta type choice. I think hubby had the steak which he said was good. I on the other hand, having done my homework and seen what the Japanese offering was before we left, opted for this choice. It was basically a 7 course menu, and it was really delicious and beautifully presented, as only the Japanese know how. I took some photos (forgive the blue hue, it was from the cabin lighting).

We started with an amuse bouche, which was a little vol au vent with chicken curry, smoked salmon, and a courgette and pancetta thingy. All very nice.

image.jpg
Amuse bouche

Next were three cold courses which included simmered duck in a soy based sauce, simmered beef with a salad and a sesame dressing and then simmered vinegared octopus and some other morsels. All very tasty and fresh.

image.jpg
Cold courses

Main course was fried Sea Bream with a thick ponzu sauce, with rice, pickles and miso soup as course 6 and then a choice of a rhubarb tart or a very decadent chocolate mousse tart (which I had) for dessert. It was all delicious and all looked appealing with its excellent presentation.

image.jpg
Hot courses

image.jpg
Dessert
image.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 5543 times

After dinner I settled down to watch a movie, read a little, then converted the seat to bed and tried to get some sleep. I didn't, but managed to catnap for a couple of hours. On waking I had a bowl of the most delicious pork broth ramen with some sake. Honestly, the broth was stunning and packed a real umami and garlic punch! About an hour later they started breakfast service (Japanese option again for me), and it wasn't long afterwards that we started our descent into HND.

We arrived on time and were off the plane quickly and off to immigration and security, ole Ted bags and went to meet our waiting chauffeur in the arrivals area.

All in all it was an excellent flight, great food, great seat, good service. There are some differences from VS obviously, and I think if the CC had a bit more personality about them the differences would certainly be fewer. I would definitely fly ANA in J again though. Interestingly, my hubby expressed a preference over VS for it completely. Each to their own I suppose.

Thanks for reading. Photos of the cabin will be added later.
#900856 by pjh
13 Apr 2015, 09:35
So glad it all turned out well in the end!

Thanks for the TR and the pictures. The food looks wonderful, though I have to say anything that comes out of the water (fresh or salt) is a no-no for me.

Looking forward to the pictures of the cabin.

Your opinion of the crew sounds like my thoughts on the EK offering, but I guess that's what you find when flying another nation's carrier.
#900890 by gumshoe
13 Apr 2015, 12:55
Thanks for the TR. Sounds like an awesome flight.

I think your comments re the crew would apply to most Middle & Far Eastern airlines. Their culture calls for efficient, respectful and deferential service and many of their passengers would probably be uncomfortable at the concept of cabin crew being "matey" with them. I believe on the VS routes to HKG, PVG, DXB and, until recently, NRT, CC are sometimes advised to "tone it down" to reflect the culture of the destination.
#900893 by marshy11
13 Apr 2015, 13:03
Glad you both had a safe trip. The TR is excellent, thank you for taking the time to write it, particularly love the photos and will wait to see the cabin photos on the return TR.

Have a fabulous time. We've a heat wave here at the moment….
#900908 by Bretty
13 Apr 2015, 14:36
Thanks guys, I think the comments about CC are probably right, just a different way of doings I suppose.

We had a mini heatwave Sunday and went to Ueno park and the zoo to see the giant pandas. Now it's rain, but that's fine. Long journey from Tokyo to Miyajima Island today so I had plenty of time to write TR.

I've been for an onsen (hot spring) bath, had a 10 course kaiseki dinner and been for another soak in the outdoor bath listening to the water in a mountain stream by the hotel and am now, hopefully, knackered enough to sleep!

Good night all.
#900951 by ultreen1
14 Apr 2015, 08:11
Great TR john.
The food looks amazing. You picked the right option imo.
Continue enjoying your holiday...don't spend to much shopping! ;)
Darren
#902923 by Bretty
10 May 2015, 14:24
I had thought about posting a return TR, but it wouldn't be much different from the outbound apart from maybe a few comments about our trip. So I decided to add something here and fulfil my promise to post pictures of the cabin and the seat.

We had a super trip to Japan, even better tea our first I think, but then so many things were familiar to us that we were glad we didn't have a tour guide because we just got on and did what we wanted in our own time. The transit system is a doddle, especially when you have a couple of brilliant apps to help you.

We did our share of temples and shrines, but not too many. I chased cherry blossom, which although at the end of season, I still found some breathtaking scenes. Most especially in a park in Shinjuku that I didn't know was there until I saw it from the window of my 26th floor hotel room. This beautiful park, called the National Garden, in the middle of the skyscraper district of Tokyo, is not immediately visible unless spotted from a height. We spent a wonderful morning our last day, and the park had beautiful traditional Japanese gardens, a French style garden, and a beautiful pond with a Chinese pagoda. It also had some stunning late blooming cherry blossoms and an azalea garden that was a riot of colour.

Kyoto had given us the beautiful Miyako Odori, the Geisha Dances, with a wonderful show of traditional dances performed by dozens of women dressed as Geisha in the heart of Gion district. We took in Arashiyama and the monkey park at the top of the mountain (apparently a 20 minute trek up the mountain, but we looked at each other and I said something like "that means an hour for 2 fat queens with asthma") It took 45 minutes to climb with regular stops to take the inhaler but was so worth it for the monkeys and the views of the whole of Kyoto. Kyoto also gave us the most expensive meal we've had, Kobe beef at a teppanyaki, a meal my husband described as memorable, which is a first because he never enthuses about food like I do.

So enough, I could go on and on, it's a country we've fallen in love with and we've discussed returning in a couple of years if my old man is up to it!

Our flight back started with a chauffeur picking us up to take to HND, check in was smooth and we whisked ourselves off to the lounge via duty free where we had some remaining Yen to spend up. Bought loads of biscuits and sweets (we both love Japanese confectionary) and I had enough to buy myself a Swatch automatic watch (they've moved into automatics now) without needing to use a credit card, and leaving just 500 Yen leftover. The lounge was busy but we quickly found somewhere to sit, got something to eat, and something to drink. No champagne anywhere, so I had a large VAT and later spotted draft sake so I was mellow by the time we boarded 90 minutes later :0

Boarding was quick and sparkling wine was offered and accepted, champagne wasn't served until after take off. From there the flight was much the same as outbound with great but not sparkling service, excellent food, and if you wanted anything in between service you had to flag someone down to request it, although the CC frequently swept through the cabin, but you had to ask for stuff.

So here's some pics of the seat and cabin:
image.jpg
ANA Business staggered seat

My husband appears to prefer this seat to the UC suite. It is certainly more roomy with a good table next to you and a small compartment on it for stowing headphones and gadgets.

image.jpg
ANA Business seat

In front of you is the 17 inch responsive touchscreen, remote control is also on the seat. Below the screen is the dining table which pulls right out, then a footwell, when converted to bed you puts your tootsies in there. Stowed in it are your blankets and the bed pad. Under that is room for hand luggage, as well as a spacious overhead compartment. Under the seat is stowage for shoes and you're given slippers in a little take away bag and a shoe horn, as well as the amenity kit; a cotton pouch with l'Occitane products. I haven't opened mine.

image.jpg
ANA Business cabin

This is the main business cabin, taken from the front, behind me is the galley then a small business cabin, I think 8 seats, then first class.

image.jpg

And oh, my hubby, bless him.
#902924 by Bretty
10 May 2015, 14:28
Don't know what happened to those two pictures being skewed, hmmm.
#902929 by hazban
10 May 2015, 15:17
As we have come to expect from you a very comprehensive and entertaining report. As a single traveller I have been dubious of visiting Japan because of language and cultural differences. You make it sound so straight forward!
Having said that I am presently in Hong Kong for a few days but am comforted by all the signs being in my native tongue.
Thanks again, tell your hubby horizontal stripes are no no, I have the same fashion problems! :0
#902936 by marshy11
10 May 2015, 15:48
Bretty, thanks for the update, especially the photos (despite their viewing angle!).

Sounds like you had an amazing time. The cabin does look a bit dated to me, perhaps it's the blue cloth rather than purple leather?

I have to admit it isn't somewhere I've thought about going but your TR do make me want to visit. Thanks again.
#902943 by oldboy
10 May 2015, 16:33
Many thanks for the update Bretty, Japan is among the many destinations on my Bucket List so looking forward to visiting one day. Thanks also for the photos, I like the look of the ANA seat.

Best regards

oldboy
#902974 by Bretty
10 May 2015, 23:26
@Hazban, I also have the same fashion problem!

@Marshy, yes the cabin colours are a bit dated. Conservative I think is a good description. But everything was also pristine with few signs of wear and tear.
#902988 by Maximus
11 May 2015, 07:31
Thanks for the addendum. I especially liked this part:

"We took in Arashiyama and the monkey park at the top of the mountain (apparently a 20 minute trek up the mountain, but we looked at each other and I said something like "that means an hour for 2 fat queens with asthma") It took 45 minutes to climb with regular stops to take the inhaler"
:D

It was a steep ascent but agree, very much worth it for both seeing the macacques and the AMAZING views of Kyoto.

I may get round to writing my TRs this side of Christmas, but time is not freely available at present.
Virgin Atlantic