#903738 by pjh
22 May 2015, 08:58
After five days of hotel-taxi-office-taxi-hotel it was time to come home. Warsaw is going though the second (third?) reconstruction post the razing of it in WW2, but they have retained the feel of a modern european city with wide boulevards. They complained a lot about the traffic congestion at rush hour, but having experienced the same in Bangalore and Sao Paulo I think Warsaw has a lot of catching up to do in that department. As I was fed and watered by the Exec Lounge and lacked a local host my evenings didn't stray much beyond the hotel, and the day I did think I would visit the Uprising Museum (it being at the end of the street that has my employer's office) I was stymied by lack of time.

I had done OLCI again, so a bag drop after a straightforward drive to the airport. No "self tagging" as there had been in London, but quick enough. Determined to exploit my Priority Pass membership again I ignored the siren call of the glass case full of dead things in the main terminal but made a severe tactical error in choosing a queue with baby and buggy in front of me. What larks as they tried to get the buggy through the X Ray machine. Oh how we laughed as this went on....and on.....and on.

Eventually though I was through and off to find a source of beer and food. Near gates 8 to 11 the app said. What it didn't say is that gates 8 to 11 are separated from the area containing the lounge by a glass wall. Luckily this hadn't involved any crossing of "no going back" security lines. Going the correct route did, where I made a bit of a prat of myself waiting for the gate by the security point to open for me. "Why are you still here?" the security officer said "the gate is open". I had expected it to go "buzz" or "kerlunk" or something. Nope, just open.

Though the lounge had clearly had some form of savoury snack available at some point, I had to rely the trinity of beer, salted peanuts and Ferrero Rocher to prevent true hunger setting in. The situation of the lounge seemed quite unusual, being on the ground floor and by the gates so you could see the aircraft park up. At one or two points I did wonder whether an "Airplane!" incident would occur.

My heart sank (as did another beer) as a fifteen minute delay was announced (shades of my flight out!) but at least I had a flight, which it seemed some in the Lounge didn't as theirs had been cancelled...or delayed....the story changed.

Strolled to the gate, queued, on and departed ten or so minutes after schedule. In this instance the time was made up,and we were at the gate as scheduled. I think I saw a number of speed cameras flicker into life during our transit round Heathrow on the ground, with a handbrake turn at one point, but I wasn't for complaining. Twenty minutes after skidding to a halt I was in the taxi on the long-ish drive home debating the relative merits of the Telecaster and Les Paul.
#903765 by Concorde RIP
22 May 2015, 14:37
Enjoyed this pair of TRs - thanks!

Talking of incongruous (as you did in your outbound TR!), I was interested by your last statement regarding relative merits of the Telecaster and Les Paul.

Let's see, Les Pauls - I hate them and I own a USA Tele Delux so you can guess what I think the relative merits are! (I also own a stratocaster, PRS and Music man BFR Petrrucci signature).

Anyway, I'm fascinated, what prompted that tangent?
#903775 by pjh
22 May 2015, 20:17
Concorde RIP wrote:Enjoyed this pair of TRs - thanks!

Talking of incongruous (as you did in your outbound TR!), I was interested by your last statement regarding relative merits of the Telecaster and Les Paul.

Let's see, Les Pauls - I hate them and I own a USA Tele Delux so you can guess what I think the relative merits are! (I also own a stratocaster, PRS and Music man BFR Petrrucci signature).

Anyway, I'm fascinated, what prompted that tangent?

I really can't remember how we got onto the subject, but it turned out the chap driving me had been a semi pro musician and built a studio in his garage. For my part, I am a man of near zero aptitude on the guitar (tin ear, says I, lack of application says my better half) but I have grown up with a love for the sounds and the shapes. Musically forged as I was in the early to mid 60's, the Les Paul was the sound of rock guitar for me. Paul Kossoff, Thin Lizzy, The Allman Brothers, Neil Young sounded and looked they did because of that make. As I have grown older the workman like qualities of the Telecaster have taken my heart, and if there was one guitar I would love to own it would be a blonde Telecaster. I sometimes visit Denmark Street and look, and I could afford one, but what would be the point? Guitars are made to be played, not just admired. :D

My driver shared you opinion, by the way...
#903834 by pjh
23 May 2015, 18:41
Daffodil wrote:Thanks for the TR. I read it with interest, with Warsaw being one of the cities on my list to visit. Did you stay at the Hilton?

I stayed at this Hilton.. Despite its 20+ levels, not the greatest views in the world, but modern with substantial rooms and a good Executive lounge (vodka on ice and salted peanuts!).

It felt a bit out of the way, but I had little opportunity the explore and therefore that may be unfair. That said one of the major museums is only 5 minutes walk, public transport is cheap, the new east - west Metro line is close at hand and the cost of the taxis seemed ok - about £7 to get me from the airport on the Sunday evening. There's also a supermarket across the square for sundry items such as litres of vodka for £5.
#903899 by Maximus
24 May 2015, 19:35
As ever, amusing TRs. Thanks!
#903901 by TimCrawley
24 May 2015, 20:14
Enjoyed the trip report a lot, thanks for posting.

Got friends in Warsaw who are always nagging me to visit so I'll try to remember the security gate point as well as avoiding strangers bearing buggies.

Better go and find your outward leg report to read in case there's something more to trip my trip up :-)
Virgin Atlantic