#903840 by David
23 May 2015, 20:24
So the start of my first EX Dub trip booked on Expedia after literally hours of patience, "sorry no seats available" and many many pounds less than booking direct.

It was a battle with the Expedia web site and telephoning didn't fare any better, so as they say patience is a virtue.

Eventually discovered it was the BA connecting flights that were causing the issues and when I eventually found Aer Lingus ones it all started to fall into place.

The next challenge was to ensure I had time to recover in the Clubhouse before the Atlantic leg and for some reason we've had a preference for the VS015 over the 027 ( probably something to do with Clubhouse time ): ) so that generated another pile of options.

Knew the return date from MCO was ultra busy, so the next piece of the puzzle was returning from where. ????

JFK seemed the obvious choice as an easy flight up and 3 tier points on Delta for a few pounds was very easy.

I then discovered the VS 004 had morphed into a Dreamliner so that had to be a must.

These options produced pages and pages of options but eventually for the small sum of £1079 the flights were booked. A trip of 1sts. 1st ex DUB, 1st JFK Clubhouse and 1st Dreamliner flight.

The day started well, leaving a warm, sunny Borders for a quick trip up to EDI and straight to the number 1 lounge. It was to be an Aer Lingus Regional flight on one of these little ATR propeller jobs but it passed very quickly without drama and soon landed into a chilly Dublin.

Dublin airport whilst quite nice, needs a rocket up it @rse for bagge reclaim which took around half an hour, then outside to the courtesy coach for the Radisson Blu situated at the airport.

1st impressions of the hotel are, mmm, Ok, but it's a means to an end.

Flight 1 of seven or maybe six depending on arrival at LHR on the way home has happened.

Roll on tomorrow.

David
Last edited by David on 23 May 2015, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
#903841 by whiterose
23 May 2015, 20:53
Great TR David thanks, I really liked the detail of how and why. Enjoy the Dreamliner, we loved it, TRs of those flights to follow when I have a minute. I'm awed that you produced yours on the day of the flight!
#903849 by honey lamb
24 May 2015, 00:13
Hmmm, I wouldn't have chosen the Radisson Blu and if you had asked me I would have sent you to the Carlton, which while off-site of the airport is less than a 5 minute run on the courtesy coach and to my mind, far superior.

In my working days I would have attended meetings in the now Radisson Blu and while we appreciated the warm mini-Danish pastries on arrival but any hotel that provides chicken and cheese sandwiches is to be avoided! :$

I stayed in the Carlton earlier this year and really enjoyed it.
#903858 by David
24 May 2015, 07:08
honey lamb wrote:Hmmm, I wouldn't have chosen the Radisson Blu

Lesson learned B)

That was an interesting evening. Every clatter, bang AND *take off* was heard. (And it didn't sound as though Dublin Airport has a curfew :0 )

However, now ensconced in the daa lounge courtesy of PP and enjoying a coffee and a Danish.

Bags tagged through to MCO but think I will stop by the checkin desks and get a proper boarding pass.

Flight 2 of 7 awaits.

David