#907238 by TimCrawley
16 Jul 2015, 07:22
As a few are doing the ex-EU flights out of BRU I thought it worth a brief trip report ....

OLCI no problem, headed to the airport on the train - since June this year you do need to hold on to your train ticket when you get off, even though it's usually checked on the train, as your ticket operates the exit gates and there is rarely anyone at the gates to help if it all goes wrong.

Passport control was smooth enough as short queues but was certainly delays with people using smartphone boarding passes as they seemed to be sharing the readers for those 1 per two desks. Security lines quite short too so through in under 5 minutes.

As with Easyjet flights to LGW from here, the LHR flight with Brussels Airlines says the gate information will show 15 minutes before boarding, however unlike Easyjet at BRU (where you're 'boarded' and in a line waiting along the gate corridor before passengers have got off the incoming plane) the Brussels Airlines planes are usually sitting there for an hour or more before the flight and the destination already showing on the gate even though not on the main departure screens.

As food & drink chargeable on board I grabbed a sandwich and drink at the bar by the smoking room half way down the concourse - prices not too bad and the toasted ham & mozzarella roll was very tasty.

Boarding time was 16:20 so headed down around 16:15, arriving on time - boarding started about 16:30 and we pushed back only a couple of minutes late at 16:55.

Seats are comfortable enough but even though they were not scaling bags for size or weight at the gate the luggage bins are nothing like as big as Easyjet or Aer Lingus and other LCC even though loads of passengers were on big hand luggage bags - and as it's an Avro RJ100 the overhead bins under the wings will literally hold 4 stacked pizza boxes (but with a fairly deserted business section there was room there for excess and the CC were grabbing any bags that wouldn't fit from customers at back of plane and stowing for them in rear galley area).

Smooth flight and good info throughout from the flight deck, CC on very good form as I've found to be mostly the case with Brussels Airlines on previous trips.

Flight time 45 minutes, quite normal for this 75 minute scheduled flight as I've never had it take over 50 minutes in the air for main run so it usually lands on time or a few minutes early. This put us towards LHR ahead of schedule so we had a 15 minute stack then onto approach. CC did make it round with drinks for those who wanted to buy even though a short flight.

Landing gear down and slowed for landing nicely when the engines fired back up as we crossed airport boundary for an 8-10 minute go around because the previous aircraft had forgotten to leave the runway, so another circuit and we still landed on time!

No bridge but a short walk across tarmac into T2 then the usual very long walk (10+ minutes at a brisk pace) to passport control. Automatic gates were hopeless - had to use 3 different ones before it finally let me through, but still quicker than the regular queue.

Overall the flight was just as good as usual which is why I tend to use them instead of BA on this route and the CC flexibility / light business class loading meant the luggage bin issue was a non-issue unless you wanted to get at your bag during the flight.
#907247 by Vegascrazy
16 Jul 2015, 08:52
Thanks Tim for the insight to Brussels Airlines. I'm flying SN as part of an ex BRU to LAS next May, business class on an A319. Have you sampled their J offering? I'm assuming similar to BA CE (we've already been pre-assigned seats 2A & 2C) so assume standard seats albeit with middle seat acting as arm rest.

I'm still astonished at the incredible price savings ex EU. For two of us the saving on VS43/44 is exactly £5006!! Definitely worth the 50 minute hop to and from BRU! :)

Cheers
James
#907250 by TimCrawley
16 Jul 2015, 10:00
Hi James,

Sorry, not been on the A319 on this route with them as I'm an SN2095 'regular' which always seems to be the Avro - but you get a nice cold snack box served plus hot & cold drinks on the SN2095 in Business plus, as you say, the normal seat with a 'spare' in between (Avro is 2 +3 seating so it's a shared spare seat on the DEF / right side but on left you get two seats of your 'own') . Hopefully someone else has been on SN2093 or SN2103 and can help you with info.

They have a nice 32kg x 2 luggage allowance so you don't have any snags there if you're taking some of your bags across (but I guess you're leaving bags at the UK end?).

The lounges are up the stairs on your left about 50 yards onto the concourse after the first snack bar area but I've not been up there for over 15 years as I've usually had a coffee & sandwich on the train out to the airport so just haven't found the need!

There is a fast track entry to the security screening area to the left of the regular lines which is handy sometimes but no fast track on the passport control.

For internet access there is free wifi or if you need a PC airside then Telenet have €1 per 5 minutes coin operated access (minimum €3 / 15mins) area just past the bar with the smoking room about half way down the concourse.

Congratulations on the great deal to Vegas, leaves more to spend on some cool 'wheels', shows, shopping, diet buffets and gaming - hoping to get a great deal myself to Vegas for January and March next year once I can confirm the dates :-)

Cheers,
Tim
#907256 by Vegascrazy
16 Jul 2015, 11:33
Many thanks for that Tim. You're right, we won't be taking any luggage for the jaunt to BRU and back, it'll be back in the airport hotel. As was the case when we did an ex AMS we won't even take hand luggage - just ourselves! A few G&T's in the lounge at BRU and then the hop back for a chilled evening before Clubhouse & VS43 the following day :)
#907308 by TimCrawley
16 Jul 2015, 23:02
A very cunning plan - hope you guys have a really great trip .... May seems so far away though!
#907840 by Salsasam
27 Jul 2015, 17:20
Thank you for posting this review. I'm flying with Brussels airlines from Birmingham to Brussels next May as part of an ex-BRU to SFO, on the RJ100 and was slightly dubious because of other reviews read on other websites, so good to get a positive Vflyer reaction. I'm feeling a lot happier today thanks to this.
Virgin Atlantic