#907778 by pjh
26 Jul 2015, 19:17
Ok, what can I say about this flight….
- Given the option of a direct flight on BA or indirect using Emirates, I opted for direct.
- I do like the T5 experience, straightforward, very little queuing, but they do need to get a bounce on and rustle up a Priority Pass lounge for we of the lower orders.
- As a solo flyer it is far better to take an aisle seat in the centre section than to snaffle a window seat, but it makes for an isolated and dislocating experience.
- I can understand why the switch the lights out, but if you want to read you really do disturb everyone else in the cabin with the overhead reading light.
- The flight was rammed. Nary a spare seat.
- The entertainment system was quite limited in choice, and series usually have only one or two episodes.
- “American Sniper”, “The Gunman” and “Kingsman” were the films I selected for viewing. “Tosh”, “meh” and “not bad at all” are the respective ratings. “Kingsman” will not make it uncut onto Emirates…..
- I discovered the joy of “The Delivery Man”, a series from some of those involved in “Green Wing”. Well, it made me laugh anyhow, featuring some great lines from the consultant played by the very great Alex Macqueen
- Putting the IFE controls on the arm rest was a design error
- It was very abstemious from the alcohol point of view, with none of the generosity exhibited when I flew to Brazil.
- What do you do about the “recliner from the moment you take off who also puts his hand over his head and his fingers all over your IFE screen” in front and the “stretches his legs into the back of your seat digging his feet into your lower back” behind?
- The crew tended to look through you as if you weren’t there. At one point I went into the galley with the intention of asking for a drink. Now, you might think that hanging around and generally being in the way might elicit an “anything we can help with?” but not one bit of it. I stood there and life flowed on around me. Eventually I managed to discard the cloak of invisibility that at some stage I had unwittingly inherited from HL, but only by asking very loudly “could I please get a drink?”
- Food was ok as long as you went for the vegetarian option, and for breakfast there was no option….mind you, BA sausages do not have a good rep round here as I recall.

And so ten and a half hours of my life slipped past. Into Bangalore on time, fairly smartly through passport control (no Ebola screening this time around) and then the farce of the pre luggage collection security screening where everyone who passes through the frame sets the alarm off and no one cares.

And then another one and a half hours of my life slipped past as we made our way through the early morning traffic to the hotel….
#907807 by Daffodil
27 Jul 2015, 08:31
Sounds like a poor experience all round. I too wish for a PP lounge in T5. Last time in T5 we ended up eating in the Gordon Ramsey outlet which was very nice but cost £70 for 2.
#907812 by pjh
27 Jul 2015, 09:05
Daffodil wrote:Sounds like a poor experience all round. I too wish for a PP lounge in T5. Last time in T5 we ended up eating in the Gordon Ramsey outlet which was very nice but cost £70 for 2.

To be honest I've just become accustomed to travelling in the pointy end and all the fripperies that entails when spending my personal travel budget, so that the flight is something to be enjoyed rather than endured. When on my employer's budget things are different, but I find it a challenge to reset my expectations.

An Aspire Lounge is due to open in August in T5
#907819 by Daffodil
27 Jul 2015, 10:22
pjh wrote -
An Aspire Lounge is due to open in August in T5

Thanks for the thumbs up. We normally only use T5 for short haul European flights, but its still nice to have a lounge to use.
Virgin Atlantic