#908300 by Hamster
08 Aug 2015, 16:06
Previous TR: LHR-EWR

As this flight was at 05:55 we were up very early and heading back to the airport from a nearby hotel (was booked last minute as we didn’t think we would have as much time as we did between flights due to the VS1 being early, no wait at immigration and a quick ride from EWR to JFK). We checked in around 03:50 and were through security by 04:00. The AA lounge at JFK doesn’t open until 04:15 so we had a wonder around the eerily quiet terminal where none of the outlets were open to kill time.

At 04:15 we made our way to the lounge and for most of our time there we were 3 of about 7 people using it! AA have started to improve (slightly) their free food offerings in their lounges, so there were a variety of yogurts, fruit, bagels and toppings as well as the usual pretzels etc. We also had free ‘premium’ drinks vouchers issued upon entry in case we wanted a strong drink at that time of the morning!

At around 05:25 we headed down to the gate where Priority AAccess boarding was in operation, so we headed to the front and were immediately boarded. On board and seated the crew were extremely friendly and asked if the other two wanted to get some photos of their teddy bears in the cockpit, of course they took her up on that offer! It was an A321 with new seats and IFE (not the transcon seating though!), and the cabin felt very clean. Pre-departure beverages were offered and taken before seatbelts on and the safety video played.

Once in the air more drinks were offered, and I started watching a film on the IFE – I was glad I had my Bose headphones, the earbuds AA provided were rubbish (and you have to pay for them in the back!). The cabin crew confirmed our pre-selected breakfast choices, Peach French Toast Strata or Omelette and Sausages, and I soon had a tray of Peach French Toast Strata in front of me and offered some warm ‘Biscuits’. After reading lots of reviews of AA breakfasts, I was reminded how you can’t trust everything you read and that it was a really good breakfast!

image.jpg
Breakfast
image.jpg (134.87 KiB) Viewed 3476 times

For the rest of the flight the crew frequently offered more drinks and I managed to finish the film I was watching just before we started our decent. I love the mints AA hand out for landing, wish I knew what they were so I could buy some!

Once landed if was off to the luggage belts where we didn’t have to wait too long for our bags to come off and then we headed to the MIA-Mover to pick up our Hertz rental car from the CRC. Hertz do make it easy to pick up a car, head straight down to the cars and find your name on the board, it tells you were your car is, then as you drive out you show them your licence and you are free to go! So simple.

This was a great flight, and a great advert for ‘The New American’

When we arrived at the hotel (Mandarin Oriental Miami) at around 10am, they allowed us to check in early and upgraded us to the next suite level!

Next TR: MIA-CLT