#909972 by CHill710
14 Sep 2015, 03:45
continuing from my flight from LHR on the VS103 in economy i arrived in to ATL and an empty immigration hall through which I passed in 15 mins and then was straight out through customs helped by the airport staff telling people that they needed their blue form or photo receipt from the automatic immigration machines and nothing else to hand to the customs people on exit.

after saying thank you and goodbye to the crew member who I have come to know through a lot of little red flights to Manchester i turned left through the exit door and placed my bag on a conveyor belt on the left hoping to see it again in Orlando.

Security was fairly quick, after taking everything off as per the TSA. and then on to the air train to concourse A for the DL109.
at this point i checked on the DL app the standby and upgrade list and I was still the only person on the upgrade list with one first seat showing as available but 26 on the standby list for 12 free seats.

on arrival to concourse A I grabbed a sandwich and then sat by gate A07 with only a little hope for the upgrade as more and more of the standby pax were showing on the screen above the gate as cleared.

the aircraft operating my flight then arrived a 23.5 year old Boeing 757-200 N674DL (not one of my favourite aircraft!) and boarding was announced to be in 30 mins with a full load so pax with more than two carry on bags would have to gate check some to get everyones kitchen sink and full wardrobe on the plane.

just before boarding started my name went from on the upgrade list to CONFIRMED :D :D with a seat 1D displayed on the screen.

on boarding I was reminded of what a colleague had said when I had said I would be flying this leg with Delta (flying dustbins) as there were big gaps in the wall panels and roof some of which you could see insulation foam and metal through, and when i raised the window blind the window assembly fell off the wall in my hand (oops!!) I quietly clipped this back in place before anyone noticed.

the cabin had had a recent refresh (shame about the rest of the aircraft!) and the seat was quite comfortable the crew were good and offered a pre flight drink along with a bottle of water and then offered a refill before pushback.

the plane was definitely a full flight, there were several off duty crew on jump seats and one in the flight deck.

once the doors were closed the pilot made an announcement saying there would be a flight time of 1 hour and 1 minute flying at 17000ft.
and then added that there were several thunderstorms in the central florida area so 'it might be a bit bumpy'.

we pushed back and taxied out to the runway for a takeoff to the east and then turned south towards florida.
thats when it started to get a little bumpy for a few moments but nothing more than driving up a country road.
the crew came around again with another drink and a basket of nibbles.

30 mins in to the flight we entered the area with the storms in northern FL and things started to get a bit worse and continued to get worse until the roughest descent I have ever known bits of the cabin were shaking (not helped with the bits that need fixing) and we were dropping and bouncing rolling from side to side.

landing was fine after we had fallen from the clouds and there was a view over to international drive and the Orlando eye with a few flashes of lightning in the distance.

we arrived on stand on time and i was quickly through to the B side of the terminal to collect my bag and then went over to the A side to meet a VH rep fro my transfer to the Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando. on arrival to the VH desk i had just made it before the last few pax off the VS15 from LGW so made good time on the flights.

on leaving the airport the rain started and got heavier and heavier until I arrived at the hotel, since then the weather has improved but continues to be very humid and sticky.

I hope my return (via JFK) has an aircraft in a slightly better condition than this one! currently scheduled to be an Airbus A319 so it should be but it was originally a Boeing 717 so there is the potential for another plane that should be placed in retirement.
#909977 by hiljil
14 Sep 2015, 08:01
Thank you for the TR.
Glad you managed the upgrade but I would not have enjoyed the latter part of your flight ! :-O
#910031 by Bretty
14 Sep 2015, 18:36
Well done on the upgrade to F Chris, but shocking the state of the plane, and dangerous too with bits falling off. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Hope the rest of your trip is fantastic, enjoy!
#910039 by CHill710
14 Sep 2015, 20:02
Tips for arrival at ATL.
As with any airport in the U.S. Be as quick as you can to the immigration line.
If you have used an ESTA on your current passport before you can use the automated machines to clear immigration and have your fingerprints and photo recorded (an printed on a receipt) before the usual welcome to the USA interrogation.
Once you have collected your bag you exit through customs (an give them your stamped receipt with your photo on it) an then TURN LEFT THROUGH THE DOOR for connections. (Turn right to exit)
There is a DL desk on the right of you need assistance or a belt on the left to drop your bag back in to the system.
You then follow straight ahead to pass through the TSA checkpoint and get the plane train to the relevant concourse for your next flight.

If you are on a DL flight download the DL app for up to date info on gates and to be able to track your bags.
Virgin Atlantic