#910778 by horburyflyer
29 Sep 2015, 18:32
So after leaving the VS109 it was a seamless (and quick) transfer using the APC machines, picked up the case (already waiting for me on the belt) and went through customs. Got to turn left again and through security before taking the planetrain to the A gates.

Had a brief stop in one of the many Delta Skyclub's at ATL which was pretty close to my gate for a quick refreshment and freshen up,. Boarding was called at A9 at 1630 for the 1655 departure. This seemed pretty tight considering it was said just a few times the flight was 'full'

Down the jet bridge and turned left again passing two rows of Delta comfort seats and found my seat at 3A. This was a 757 with seat back entertainment and looked fresh and clean. A small thin red blanket was on the seat along with an even smaller pillow ( as is normal in First class on Delta)

Having got organised a male crew member came around first class using a mobile device to welcome everyone individually. Those with Delta status had a 'welcome back' attached to his genuine and friendly welcome. Even though he was using a device it was nice to see (never happened to me before in First class on Delta within the US) though is a regular feature in Delta One on long-haul segments.

'Southern Lemonade' was offered which was a mixture of vodka and lemonade. It was tasty though others were choosing a beverage of their choice - all served in plastic cups as is the norm on the ground on US airlines. Small bags of pretzels were also handed out along with headphones for the entertainment. It felt very organised and well executed.

Departure came and we pushed back at 1654. A manual safety demonstration was carried out as we taxied and waited our turn for departure in quite appalling weather. The rain and low cloud were quite impressive.

Departure came at 1708 and was loud and long departing into the cloud as the wheels left the runway. A flight time of 1hr10mns was announced and the weather in and around Orlando not expected to cause any delays.

It took nearly 20mins then for the in flight lead (not the same guy as on the ground) to get organised and offer a drink. This came eventually in glassware with the offer of the snack basket (crisps, peanuts, pretzels, apples, chocolate bars, cookies and the like) No refills at all were proactively offered though the guy next to me was asking for vodka and getting it in rather good quantities.

The rest of the flight was uneventful as we dodged thunderstorms and I listened to some tracks on the IFE and tracked our progress. The flight was smooth and we were all fastened in with touchdown coming at 1820. It was very wet in Orlando too though it would improve as the evening went on.

Left with a goodbye. No bells or whistles but got a drink or two, had a really comfortable seat, listened to some music and arrived into Orlando on time.

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 29 Sep 2015, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
#910791 by Petmadness
29 Sep 2015, 21:17
I was waiting for this, Jon, as I was interested how the connection worked as I am thinking about the ATL route. Seems like the connection was just perfect and the flight good enough for just over 1 hour. May try this out next year now. Thanks for posting :cool:
#910792 by tontybear
29 Sep 2015, 21:27
Thanks for this. Have a couple of DL 1st flights in the next week.

I know I won't get fed though but I'll manage with a drink and a 'snack'
#910794 by horburyflyer
29 Sep 2015, 21:39
tontybear wrote:Thanks for this. Have a couple of DL 1st flights in the next week.

I know I won't get fed though but I'll manage with a drink and a 'snack'

Can highly recommend the 'brownie bites'... :D
#910797 by horburyflyer
29 Sep 2015, 21:47
Petmadness wrote:I was waiting for this, Jon, as I was interested how the connection worked as I am thinking about the ATL route. Seems like the connection was just perfect and the flight good enough for just over 1 hour. May try this out next year now. Thanks for posting :cool:

No worries at all and happy to help :cool:
#910894 by buns
01 Oct 2015, 18:29
Jon

Can I add my thanks for this.

Recent events have necessitated changing plans that we had booked to go via JFK next week, to a new date in November going via ATL to what will be an well earned break.

buns
#910931 by horburyflyer
02 Oct 2015, 17:45
buns wrote:Jon

Can I add my thanks for this.

Recent events have necessitated changing plans that we had booked to go via JFK next week, to a new date in November going via ATL to what will be an well earned break.

buns

Thanks Buns. Sorry to hear your plans have needed to change but November is just around the corner and I'm sure the countdown clock is ticking!

Jon
#910946 by buns
02 Oct 2015, 20:28
horburyflyer wrote: November is just around the corner and I'm sure the countdown clock is ticking!

Jon

You bet :D

The plus side is we get to MCO on the same day without need for an overnight in NYC.

I have given myself two and half hours between flights, so hopefully no HoneyLamb worries :cool:

buns
#910950 by David
03 Oct 2015, 09:35
horburyflyer wrote:
Having got organised a male crew member came around first class using a mobile device to welcome everyone individually. Those with Delta status had a 'welcome back' attached to his genuine and friendly welcome. Even though he was using a device it was nice to see (never happened to me before in First class on Delta within the US) though is a regular feature in Delta One on long-haul segments.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Seems like a very nice, quick flight.

We never had any welcome as such and it seemed to be a different type of plane - no seat back screens, just overhead on which they tried to show the new terminator film, although by the time they had shown all the Delta ads, you only saw about 20 mins of the actual film.

My flight was late as well and we sat on the tarmac for a good 25 mins before moving to the runway. That's maybe were I dozed off and missed some of the service :D

As has been discussed, when using this and an ATL flight, you pretty much get in to Orlando the same time as the VS015 but of course arrive as a domestic passenger without the need for customs.

Hope you enjoyed the Floridian weather and are ready for the next trip :-)

David
Virgin Atlantic