#911059 by pjh
05 Oct 2015, 12:05
Still not sure why the taxi guy recommended a 3.30 am departure, unless it was the prove you could make it from Huntingdon to Heathrow in an hour and fifteen minutes. Which led me to entering the airport at first knockings, feeling sleep deprived and more than a little shabby particularly when compared to the fully made up elegance of the VS staff who were making their way to their place of work.

Which wasn't where I was headed, oh no. This time it was Warsaw on BA flight, the first short haul BA I've managed to swing as our travel system insists cheapest is best and wanted to put me on Lot or a combination of other carriers with hours of layover in Frankfurt or somewhere.

I do like the little BA app, particularly the built in sense of humour evident in offering me an upgrade for £139. It is good, however, at keeping you notified and auto connecting with passbook. I just wish my phone didn't have such a short screen lock interval / long passcode as mandated by the company as that can lead to fumblings and delay at the most inappropriate times.

Anywaysup, the lengthy bag drop queue (which proved I wasn't the only mad soul at the party) was dealt with quickly, and I think I was the fifth person in the security channel for the day (where I could see the signs to the VS channel (sad face)). In fact the only delay was waiting for the currency exchange to open.

Opting to try the No 1 Lounge on my Priority Pass proved a good move. Some decent breakfast offerings and not a "chicken sausage" in sight, and so I whiled away some time there until the BA app called me to the gate where, given the queue, it was clearly a full flight.

My ascension to the heady heights of BA Bronze did mean I could do some queue jumping, but having opted for an aisle seat and only having my laptop bag and following the order that it was to go under the seat in front it didn't really get me any advantage. Given the chaos of people trying to find locker space for their roll ons I do wonder why BA opted to offer a "carry on only" ticket, and if your going to tag bags to be put under the seat why don't you make people actually do that?

Service was fine and with any kind of food / drink option a good notch above my usual experience. Have to say the ham and cheese croissant was a bit sickly though. Crew were as engaging as they could be trying to provide the service, and it was a nice touch at the end for the Captain to bid everyone farewell at the exit.

We were away slightly late, but arrived a good forty minutes ahead of schedule (massive padding there?) which has given me more time to admire the usual consultant's view from the hotel, i.e. a building site and a petrol station. Oh, the glamour.
#911072 by Concorde RIP
05 Oct 2015, 14:28
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable "bus trip".

Yes, business travel is not, in reality, what everyone else thinks it is....but it does get you airline status!
#911101 by pjh
05 Oct 2015, 20:35
gumshoe wrote:I'm on that flight on Friday so thank you for a useful and well-timed TR.

I'm on the return leg that day. Just being nosy, where are you staying?