#912043 by hiljil
23 Oct 2015, 14:44
Two days before my flight I was horrified to receive a message from BA saying my flight was delayed by twelve hours. I couldn't believe it and also this would mean I would miss the overnight stop at the airport hotel at TPA before the drive to Cape Coral. I even telephoned BA to check this long delay & it was confirmed. Then, just before I went to bed the Status was updated showing just a couple of hours delay. I did wonder if this was the start of the drip drip of information whereby you are never told the exact delay, you get it bit by bit.

So, my journey to LGW was a bit apprehensive and lacking the usual lightheartedness. I had a pleasant overnight stay at the Hilton & wondered when the Status would change again. It now showed only an hour's delay. At check in this was confirmed AND it seemed I still had the seat that I had paid for ....

As always the lounge soon got busy as I watched the screens waiting for the boarding time. To my surprise we began boarding at 11.45. In a surprisingly quick time we began pushing back as the crew rushed to take up their positions for the safety demo. We were airborne just before 1pm - so only an hour delay after all. I felt so happy !

I have to say the cabin crew were excellent . The lunch I had of prawns then steak was very tasty. But when your food arrives with two courses on a tray you can't help but feel cramped & restricted. Also, I am disappointed that there is only ever one choice of dessert. I settled down to watch two films and actually stayed awake !

Club World was about three quarters full and although I was near two toddlers they were absolutely delightful.
Afternoon tea was served and I managed the sandwiches and the scone - oh alright - yes and the cakes :blush: We had a good view of the Kennedy Space Centre and a lovely descent over Tampa Bay. We landed in 92degrees and fair weather at 16.40. I was second off the plane and Immigration was empty. The officials were friendly and wished us a pleasant stay. There were no queues at Customs either so I was in my room by 17.10 !

I have to say that this was a very pleasant flight, good food, excellent crew, I had no one to climb over to get to the aisle and we were hardly delayed. Tampa is such a nice airport to arrive at. So, a great start to my holiday :cool:
#912044 by Vegascrazy
23 Oct 2015, 14:53
I was on BA LGW-TPA the previous day! Like you I thought the flight was excellent, great cabin crew, food good. Aircraft was in good shape, everything worked - felt like it must have had a recent internal refurb.

Also had an empty immigration hall on arrival....from touch down to car rental pick up and onward to St Pete Beach, we were in our hotel by 5.40pm! For future Florida trips I'd definitely consider TPA as opposed to MCO as an entry point.

Cheers
James
#912047 by pjh
23 Oct 2015, 16:00
Thanks for the TR. I know some people think that V-Flyers are only interested in TRs from VS, but I'll read any and all experiences.

Sounds a bit like BA were planning for the worst and hoping for the best. Thankfully you got the latter. Was the fact that you have no one to crawl over simply happenstance or is there a seat selection that you can make?

Hope you had a great holiday.
#912054 by Vegascrazy
23 Oct 2015, 19:28
pjh wrote:Thanks for the TR. I know some people think that V-Flyers are only interested in TRs from VS, but I'll read any and all experiences.

Sounds a bit like BA were planning for the worst and hoping for the best. Thankfully you got the latter. Was the fact that you have no one to crawl over simply happenstance or is there a seat selection that you can make?

Hope Hiljil doesn't mind me replying.... yes there are window seats that don't involve climbing over your neighbour's bed, they're listed on Seat Guru. I pre-booked ours for the flight to TPA (777) and back from LAX (747). That said on the outbound day flight very few folk converted to bed so minimal climb over for anyone :)

Cheers
James
#912055 by hiljil
23 Oct 2015, 19:36
You just beat me to it, James ! :-D
#912056 by honey lamb
23 Oct 2015, 21:07
Vegascrazy wrote:
pjh wrote:Thanks for the TR. I know some people think that V-Flyers are only interested in TRs from VS, but I'll read any and all experiences.

Hope Hiljil doesn't mind me replying.... yes there are window seats that don't involve climbing over your neighbour's bed, they're listed on Seat Guru. I pre-booked ours for the flight to TPA (777) and back from LAX (747). That said on the outbound day flight very few folk converted to bed so minimal climb over for anyone :)

Cheers
James

Same here. They are brilliant. Made me enjoy CW for the first time ever.
#912058 by Bretty
23 Oct 2015, 21:37
Thanks for the TR hiljil, sounds like all was good onboard, and thankfully, that dreaded long delay was reduced meaning your holiday wasn't impacted. I know you'd been really gearing up for it so that first message must have really upskittled you. Anyway, I trust you had a great time, and hope there's a return TR...
#912062 by Maximus
23 Oct 2015, 23:12
Glad to hear it was a good flight.

I have heard BA are now stopping afternoon tea on some longhaul flights and replacing it with a second hot meal.

There will be no climbing over anyone nor having more than one of your 5 courses on the table at any one time on your next Florida flight :cool:
#912068 by hiljil
24 Oct 2015, 06:03
Oh Maximus, you do know how to crank up my excitement ! :blush:
#912070 by Maximus
24 Oct 2015, 08:06
hiljil wrote:Oh Maximus, you do know how to crank up my excitement ! :blush:

I do my best :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85KftuY8kxQ
#912071 by hiljil
24 Oct 2015, 08:19
Maximus wrote:
hiljil wrote:Oh Maximus, you do know how to crank up my excitement ! :blush:

I do my best :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85KftuY8kxQ

Even if I grow my hair & swop my loafers for heels I don't think I will be walking so calmly & elegantly through an empty terminal !
But I can pretend !!!
#912074 by Maximus
24 Oct 2015, 08:36
I love the way she smiles after every sip from every drink she has!!

And she certainly was NOT making the most of her 90 Kg luggage allowance! ;-)
#912078 by Daffodil
24 Oct 2015, 09:27
Thank you for the TR. It must have been a relief to know the delay was only a hour rather than the 12 anticipated. Sounds like a really good flight all round.
I hope you have a lovely holiday and I'm really looking forward to the TR for the return flight.
#912080 by mallin
24 Oct 2015, 12:32
Glad that you eventually only had an hours delay Hillary and had a good start to your holiday. We had the second meal choice on our outward trip to Vegas earlier in the Month. I was looking forward to the sandwiches and cakes, they offered vegetable lasagne and chicken stew for the second meal, I had had chicken for the main meal so declined everything, hubby had the lasagne which he said was ok, (mind you he will eat anything, having lived off compo rations when in the military).

I also see off topic that all BA Vegas flights from May next year will go from LHR and none from Gatwick anymore. HFP did an article on it this week, about extra routes and some being taken off. Linda
#912081 by Hev60
24 Oct 2015, 12:47
As I read the first line of your trip report I thought OMG no, how awful. Last October a friend of mine was flying BA into Tampa and the aircraft went technic and they had a days's delay at Gatwick. Glad you got away without too much delay in the end.

I love Tampa airport, it is so civilised compared to MCO and exiting is so easy with all the new roads but lots of lanes and signs!

Hope you had a wonderful holiday and the Florida weather was good to you.
#912098 by David
25 Oct 2015, 08:48
Morning Hiljil,

Sounds like a good flight which had started off with a bit of anxiety - a 12 hour delay would have been "interesting" to say the least.

Last time we flew into Tampa was around 15 years ago on boxing day with a delay which meant arriving around midnight to find no cars left - bit of a nightmare.

Have discovered a little stash of avios that was bigger than I thought so might be time to squeeze in a little extra trip and try BA but still don't like the thought of climbing over people.

Hope you enjoyed the Floridian weather and are looking forward to the next trip.

David
#912100 by hiljil
25 Oct 2015, 09:22
Good Morning, David.

And it is a beautiful sunny one here in Kent.

I say go for it - spend those Avios !! There are usually four seats where you don't have to climb over people so it is worth paying to (hopefully) reserve one of those . Then keep your fingers crossed that BA don't move you ....
Tampa , I can't emphasise enough, is a really pleasant airport for both arrivals & departures.

Good luck with spending those Avios. :-D
#912102 by marshy11
25 Oct 2015, 10:03
Adding my thanks to all those above for a very informative TR. Such a relief about the delay although it would have been nice to not have had the stress in the first place.
Virgin Atlantic