#912261 by hiljil
29 Oct 2015, 11:21
I always find return TR's difficult to write as usually I am half asleep most of the flight. So, not a lot to report on. This time I actually really slept for much longer than usual - so even less to comment about ! So I could instead tell you of my three days without Internet ( am I becoming addicted ?! :-O ) and the power cuts with the annoying beeping from a locked cupboard. On second thoughts, no !

So, after a fairly restful holiday with the weather improving after the first week , we set off in beautiful sunshine to drive to Tampa. I wanted to get a good photo of the Skyway Bridge so we planned to stop at the rest area. Just as we approached this, the monsoons came out of nowhere & lights flashed warning of dangerous high winds on the bridge. We pulled up at the railing by the bay & not only couldn't I see the bridge I soon couldn't even see the railing. However, after about twenty minutes, the sky cleared and we had an easy drive into the airport.

Check in opened soon after at 2.15 pm for our 6.15pm flight and we were given Fast Track through security. As there were hardly any people in the other queue it wasn't a great benefit . The security folk were smiling & polite. The lounge was empty & although it is no CH there is a wide range of drinks to help yourself to and sandwiches etc appear later.

We were told there was a half hour delay till 6.45pm and we actually boarded at 5.50pm as soon as CW were called. I was welcomed on board by smiling attendants and addressed by name. Once again (wow) I had the seat that I had paid for. A welcome drink which I began to sip when suddenly crew were rushing round & we began to back off stand at 6.10 pm ! Our glasses were collected as we got to the main runway !

I enjoyed a smoked salmon starter and tender beef to follow. I do wish BA wouldn't turn off the cabin lights so quickly. I know it is a night flight but I do like to at least see the mixed nuts served with the first drinks run. The Dark Side indeed. Then I slid gently into a more comfortable position to endure the long night flight and the next I knew someone was asking if I wanted breakfast. This is an absolute first !!! At this point I always long for the cereals I manage to munch on Virgin & hope I can manage to get two cups of coffee at least to go with the pastry I force down . I did. The crew were very attentive. I think it was also the first flight for years without a hint of turbulence.

We actually landed early ahead of our scheduled time ! It was with disbelief that I heard the Captain say 3 degrees outside. We had just come from 30 degrees. He also said we had managed a prime gate so we had a very short walk to immigration and we were at the Arrivals Hall by 7.50am after deplaning at 7.25am.

So, another good flight from BA I have to say.
And now I'm really excited about my next trip ....... :-D
#912271 by Concorde RIP
29 Oct 2015, 17:11
HillJill - thanks for this and the outbound TR.

Really pleased that you seem to have enjoyed your CW flights - and like everyone else, can only echo your comments regarding what a pleasure TPA airport is.

In fact, it's one of my favourite entry points to the US.

Now then, let's hope your next flights are as pleasurable!

I don't quite know how to put this - but F is fantastic on BA, just don't set the expectation too high, I'd hate for you to feel under-whelmed by the experience.
#912272 by marshy11
29 Oct 2015, 17:39
Really lovely read. My only CW flights have been day flights therefore I haven't experienced the lights off mode. Glad you had a great time and gentle flight home. Aside of the configuration of seats, do you prefer the CW seat to UC? I have to say I think I do. :-/
#912305 by hiljil
30 Oct 2015, 10:30
marshy11 wrote:Really lovely read. My only CW flights have been day flights therefore I haven't experienced the lights off mode. Glad you had a great time and gentle flight home. Aside of the configuration of seats, do you prefer the CW seat to UC? I have to say I think I do. :-/

Yes, I think I also prefer the actual seat in CW to UC because you have more positions in between being a seat and a flat bed. I really like the storage drawer too. But I like the fact you can move the table in UC to get round it without having to stash it - and it is larger.

Thank you, Concorde RIP for your caveat. I appreciate exactly what you are saying. :D
#912338 by Maximus
31 Oct 2015, 07:35
Thanks for the homebound TR. Sounds like you slept like a baby! I never manage that as I am far too busy fiddling with the IFE.
The next 170 days until you fly again will speed by I am sure. It doesn't sound long if you say it quickly ;-)
#912412 by Fuzzy14
01 Nov 2015, 23:15
Thanks hiljil for both trip reports which I've read with considerable interest. I've always been tempted by the Tampa flights as they are always priced really competitively and the drive at the other end doesn't seem that bad if you're able to navigate the airport in less time than MCO. now that I've just bought some property in the States BA LGW-TPA will definitely be on the short list.
Virgin Atlantic