#913136 by honey lamb
13 Nov 2015, 00:02
Our three nights in New York went all too quickly. We had visited the city before, the first time in 2001 where we stood on the Twin Towers exactly four weeks to the day before they were brought down in the terrorist attacks and had also visited the following year. I had visited in 2008 with friends but other than than our trips to that city had been on connecting flights when we had headed for short breaks in Florida, using Tampa as our airport of choice in that fair state. I had begun to get an itch to visit once more, fuelled in no small part by my new boss of the last three years, who had spent a couple of years there and visited on a yearly basis. It was becoming an itch that I really needed to scratch and so Aer John’s invitation could not have come at a better time. He sensibly said that we had done all the major sights on our last visits so there was no need to revisit them, to which sentiment I agreed. Therefore we shopped ( and I couldn’t help wondering from where he had inherited the shopping gene - it certainly wasn’t from me or his father!), walked the Highline
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 4608 times

and visited the Museum at the World Trade Centre which was next to our hotel. On the Saturday afternoon we tried to find a bar to watch the England-Wales match in the Rugby World Cup but to no avail. Even the Irish pubs in the vicinity of our hotel had not heard of rugby, let alone the World Cup! On Sunday, we went our separate ways, he to visit a friend from his college days and also to watch the Ireland game (and also to get to see the Scotland one) and I, as befits my newly endowed status as a nun (see the outbound TR!!), to go to the church where my boss had ministered (as opposed to St Patrick’s Cathedral where most of the Irish head). I also had another assignment - to go to Tudor City Gardens,
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 4608 times
a small enclave in mid-Manhattan to find a seat dedicated to his parents both of whom I knew well. This last trip had an interesting by-product. The gardens are part of an overpass which looks towards the UN building and the roads leading towards it. There was a whole lot of activity around there
IMG_0264.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG (2.33 MiB) Viewed 4608 times
and enquiries led to the information that President Obama was due there shortly. Well there was nothing else to do but to await the arrival of that esteemed gentleman. A friendly cop gave us regular updates about his arrival in JFK but just as the helicopters started to circle overhead, the Secret Service (with badges proclaiming who they were - what part of the word “Secret” do they not understand?) ordered us to move on. Spoilsports! A bit further on there was another gap which overlooked the route between the buildings on the overpass so we had a bird’s-eye view of the cavalcade. The downside was that all the streets in the vicinity were closed off so I had to take a circuitous route to get back to Grand Central Station.

We had debated as to which of the flights we would take back to Dublin as both were wide open and remained so. My personal preference was to take the later flight which arrived in Dublin at 8.40am but Aer John’s plans were to go into work and he preferred the earlier flight so that he could catch a nap, shower and change into a suit before returning to the airport. Given that he had provided the treat of being able to go to New York, it would have been extremely churlish of me to demand the later flight and so we planned our day accordingly. We “did” the World Trade Centre Museum which was literally on our doorstep
IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG (1.95 MiB) Viewed 4608 times
and got there before the crowds and then repaired to our hotel where, on the rooftop balcony which faced the Freedom Tower, we toasted the success of our trip with a libation (or two!). I took the opportunity to book the excellent Carmel Limos to take us to JFK. The subway nearest us was the one which would take us to the AirTrain for JFK but the nearest entrance/exit was narrow and with steep steps - not conducive to carrying cases down them and I had been impressed with the efficiency and the reasonable prices of Carmel.
Even though Carmel had been given relatively short notice of our trip, when we went down to the lobby they were there ahead of time and whisked us away to T5. Check-in was well underway and we waited as an elderly gentleman checked in to the Shannon flight which was later to return to JFK shortly after take-off with a hydraulic fluid leak and was subsequently cancelled. Once that good gentleman had left the desk, we presented ourselves. The agent took one look at our stand-by tickets and headed off to a supervisor. We could see her receiving instructions as to how to process it but the next moment, the supervisor came over to the desk and barked at Aer John, “You gotta change!” Without batting an eyelid, John acquiesced and reached into his carry-on bag and produced a shirt which mollified her and she allowed check-in to proceed. Security was OK-ish. There was a business line but it fed into the main one so it was difficult to say if there was any advantage in it. In any case, I expect nothing special going through security in the US. There were however a couple of nuns in the line directly behind me. Perhaps, they sensed a fellow spirit!

Once through security we did a quick trot through the small Duty Free area where Bombay Sapphire was on offer and I requisitioned Aer John’s allowance for myself! We then headed up to the Aer Lingus lounge which is fairly new as, up till recently, they had had used the jetBlue lounge. It was very pleasant and faced the iconic TWA lounge
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 4608 times
as well as part of the runway. We were pleasantly greeted and the amenities pointed out to us. There was a small dining area with hot dishes and further along was a self-service area with drinks and snacks. Adjacent to this area were easy chairs and tables. At the very end of the lounge was an area with the comfiest chairs ever! They were cream padded leather reclining chairs complete with footstools and there were other easy chairs there. Behind that area were the toilets and also showers were available. The lounge was small but perfectly formed but we quickly found a problem. As I said earlier, it faced the TWA lounge and the runway but it also faced west and so the sun was streaming in and making that area uncomfortable. Much as we enjoyed the views, we had to turn the chairs around to be able to enjoy their comfort. Aer John had declared his intention of dining in the lounge and bedding down as soon as possible to get as much sleep as he could and took himself off there while I rapidly sussed out where the champagne was kept and helped myself. Others who had spotted me, followed suit and it was necessary for the staff to open a second bottle - and a third! Aer John returned and declared himself dissatisfied by the offering in the dining area but on further questioning, both dishes on offer were ‘wet’ dishes and he in not a great lover of those as I know to my cost! He’s a meat and two veg man in spite of my best efforts otherwise! Oh and by the way, he changed from the t-shirt he was wearing into the shirt he had produced at check-in.

When the flight was called we found the second disadvantage of the lounge. It was located at Gate 26 and the flight was leaving at Gate 11. It was quite a long walk but, quite frankly I’ve had longer walks to gates at different airports so it was no great hardship. Boarding was well under way when we got there but there was no queue at the Business line and although there was a queue on the jet bridge we were quickly welcomed on board and directed to our seats in 6D and G. We were no sooner there than the crew descended upon us with glasses of champagne, duvets and amenity kits. We managed to sort ourselves out with all the things we needed for the flight and settled down only to have one of the cabin crew to fetch up beside us to chat. I was rather uncomfortable with this as boarding was continuing and others needed her attention. She did however, top up our champagne! At one stage another crew member shot up from nowhere, shook hands with both of us and shot back from whence he came! No doubt there were people who were wondering who the hell we were, and I was beginning to wonder myself! Fortunately boarding was soon complete and it was time for departure.

The flight was due into DUB at 5 am and my intention had been that I would sleep as long as I could and then get breakfast in the airport before heading for the train station, safe in the knowledge that trains to Cork are hourly. However we were no sooner airborne than that both the captain and the data on the IFE were predicting that the arrival time would be shortly after 4am. Aer John suggested that I go back to his gaff for a sleep which seemed eminently sensible and happy in that knowledge, I relaxed. After all, I had all day to get back home. Having sorted that, Aer John accepted a nightcap and then bedded down for the night. I had a G&T (which was Tanqueray!) and having perused the menu,
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG (1014.08 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
had the lamb and the Chocolate Nemesis which was basically a chocolate fondant, although I forgot to take a photo of the latter. Sorry!

Once replete, I bedded down for the night. I had been asked on boarding if I wanted to be woken for breakfast but I declined. However, given that breakfast on the ex-USA flight in February had been just a Continental one, I was pleased to note that EI had upped the ante with regard to breakfasts and now offered bacon rolls on the east coast routes, upgraded to a full breakfast on the SFO route. Although not yet in the public domain, I knew that LAX flights were being re-introduced and felt that this also had inspired the upgrade.

After that, I’m afraid that the rest of the flight is boring. I settled down for the night, inserted earplugs and before I knew it, we were over the west coast of Ireland and beginning our descent to Dublin. I think that we were near enough landing that I was unable to have even a cup of coffee (not that I was particularly wanting one) and the guy in front of us snored loudly for the next while, until the cabin crew were forced to shake him awake for landing.

So there we have a fairly standard TATL flight, especially from the east coast of the USA where the prime priority for passengers and most crew is to get as much sleep as they can. We landed exceedingly early in DUB where the early morning shift were just about coming on stream. There was a tad of a delay before the bags came through but in no time at all we were going through Immigration which for Irish and EU citizens consists of waggling your passport under the nose of the Garda authorities who man Immigration! Our bags came through shortly after and soon we were away to Aer John’s Joint for another couple of hours’ snooze.

The TR should really end there, but please indulge me while I end this trip. After about three hours when I declared I had merely dozed but Aer John insisted that I had snored (!!!!), we headed once more to the airport. We stopped en route to the Carlton Hotel to enable me to collect the charger that I left behind on the outbound journey. Aer John then deposited me at T2 to pick up the Airlink bus which would take me to the train station for my trip to Cork and to link with the bus down to West Cork and home. I was making for the bus that would deposit me at the station to enable me to catch the 10.00am train and although the connection with the bus was tight, it was also do-able. However the bus was slow and because it stopped at various hotels en route, it arrived in the station at 10.03am. No matter, I would take the 11.00am train and in fact that gave a better connection time for the walk from the train to the bus station. I was happy with that.

I got my (free) ticket and grabbed a cup of coffee and a roll with which to break my fast before going to await the platform information. At 10.50 the board signalled that we were to depart from Platform 5 and so en masse we all trooped there. The first thing we learned about Platform 5 was that it was accessed by going down a long pen which opened up halfway down the platform. The second thing we learned was that there was no train there and that the access gate was closed. So we stood and we waited and waited and waited! Now before I go any further, anyone in receipt of a State pension from the age of 66 is entitled to free travel throughout the Republic and under certain circumstances, within Northern Ireland. This goes for both bus and rail travel with a couple of minor exceptions (I had to pay for the Airlink service from the airport to the railway station. I could have taken a longer route via Dublin Bus and the Luas light rail for free - my usual route - but when I was heading for the 10am train it was not viable). The result is that the demographic on the midday trains is the elderly (and me!). Unless it is driven by necessity, no-one takes the early morning or late evening trains which are populated by people going to and from the capital and the major cities since these trains are already chock-a-block with business people. So, back to us all stuck in this pen at Platform 5. 11.00am came and went but still no sign of a train and worse, no sign of an explanation. There were mutterings up and down the line that this was worse than Ryanair and that at least at times, an explanation was forthcoming from Ryanair. Some were beginning to wonder if they should stay put or go back to the main concourse and the reality was, given the age profile of most of them travelling, they were beginning to wilt. Eventually some hapless guy employed by Irish Rail happened to stroll down the platform and was besieged by those at the front of the queue. There had been a security alert earlier on and all trains were being checked. Shortly after that, about 15 minutes late, the train pulled up at the platform and the ‘grey army’ invaded it with alacrity. Within five minutes it pulled away and I settled myself to relax for the rest of the journey.

At some stage, a beverage trolley came round and I roused myself sufficiently to order coffee and something to eat as did the lady opposite me. Once my sugar levels, severely depleted since my exit from the plane, had been restored, we started to chat. I expressed concern that I would miss my bus and it transpired she was heading for the same bus. Over our conversation I learned that she had a new grandson whose great uncle was a co-worker of mine. Because of the lateness of the train, we agreed to share a taxi to get to the bus station and arrived there just as the bus pulled in. It was therefore a very happy honey lamb who was spared a two hour wait for the next bus and was soon home after one of the best weekends of her life!!
#913138 by tontybear
13 Nov 2015, 00:26
Blooming heck missus a trip where no disasters occurred. You're loosing your touch!

So this times your shoes were OK but it was Aer John who was under-dressed!

As to the 9/11 museum I was really impressed with how it was done from the actual building itself to the exhibitions.

I was very wary of actually going - not because of any squeamishness with the events (I too had been to the WTC mere months before)- but with a fear that the US would overdo the sentimentality and mawkishness but I was wrong. It is well worth a visit.
#913139 by Bretty
13 Nov 2015, 00:43
Sounds like you and Aer John had a great time HL, and a good flight. I'm curious about the shirt - a work shirt I assume? Thanks also for posting pics, that's a good one of you on the High Line and it looks like the weather was kind.

What hotel were you in, we're staying up near World Trade Centre / Battery Park next month.
#913143 by hiljil
13 Nov 2015, 08:06
Thank you for your interesting TR and thank you for the photographs.

Maybe a little disappointing for us , your loyal readers, but glad all went well for you !
#913147 by pjh
13 Nov 2015, 11:04
honey lamb wrote:the guy in front of us snored loudly for the next while, until the cabin crew were forced to shake him awake for landing.

That's usually me, but wasn't in this case :)

As Oldboy says, what a great TR, whetting the appetite for our SoHo based trip next month. The pictures added a lot, even though none featured a car with one of its front wheels hanging off. You captured the blue tiled wall really well.

tontybear wrote:As to the 9/11 museum I was really impressed with how it was done from the actual building itself to the exhibitions.

I was very wary of actually going - not because of any squeamishness with the events (I too had been to the WTC mere months before)- but with a fear that the US would overdo the sentimentality and mawkishness but I was wrong. It is well worth a visit.

Two things I found interesting were;

1. The focus on the Union contribution,
2. That it was a female worker who got the authorities to accord the removal of "civilian" remains the same rituals and respect as accorded to the remains of rescue workers.
#913158 by honey lamb
13 Nov 2015, 22:51
Thank you for your kind comments. Sorry about the lack of disasters but maybe it was because Aer John was there to keep me out of mischief! ;-)

pjh wrote: You captured the blue tiled wall really well.

I had taken about 3 or 4 photos trying to get the whole quotation in without success from the "front end" of it. However Aer John had been chatting to one of the staff who had pointed out a small wooden square the size of a wall tile at the end of the quotation which was the optimal spot from which to capture it. The challenge was then to take the photo without people passing in front of you but fortunately it was still relatively quiet.

tontybear wrote:As to the 9/11 museum I was really impressed with how it was done from the actual building itself to the exhibitions.

I was wary for the same reason, but you're right, it wasn't overdone. Much of the film clips we had already seen in the continuous news coverage at the time but the sound bites had been expanded and one got an even greater sense of the horror of 9/11. However there came a point where I went into sensory overload and had to leave. It really does require more than one visit.

On an aside, the Pope had been there the morning of our arrival and images of his visit were being projected on to a wall. One of the most moving ones was that of the Jewish and Muslim leaders embracing each other while the Pope looked on. If only such love and acceptance could filter down to the warring factions in the Middle East. :-(

Bretty wrote:Sounds like you and Aer John had a great time HL, and a good flight. I'm curious about the shirt - a work shirt I assume? Thanks also for posting pics, that's a good one of you on the High Line and it looks like the weather was kind.

What hotel were you in, we're staying up near World Trade Centre / Battery Park next month.

The shirt issue was that he was wearing a t-shirt and he changed into a casual shirt. He had half-expected that so had one ready in his carry-on if challenged.

We stayed in the Club Quarters, World Trade Centre. There was another hotel next door and the two were interlinked with connecting doors on each floor. In fact our room was in the other hotel. There were only twenty floors and we were on the nineteenth.
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 4377 times

Our hotel was the white one on the left and our room was the one directly beneath the verandah bar at the top. It was the second window in from the left.

As you are in that area a recommendation for cocktails (and food) is The Dead Rabbit.
#913163 by tontybear
14 Nov 2015, 00:01
The linked hotel is the World Centre Hotel. I stayed there in January 2013. Blooming noisy as they were still building on the WTC site and something very close to the hotel rather than the towers and it was virtually 24/7 work and they only stopped on the Saturday and Sunday because a storm was expected.

But it has good views over the memorial park.
#913167 by Bretty
14 Nov 2015, 01:03
We shall be staying at the Conrad. Thanks for the recommendation, always useful to have choices and it looks great.
#913250 by gfonk
15 Nov 2015, 17:17
great TR as always.
We are considering a trip next year (hopefully). I havent been for over 15years, so looking forward to it.
So EI have a dress code for business class?
#913251 by tontybear
15 Nov 2015, 17:26
gfonk wrote:So EI have a dress code for business class?

Not for normal passengers but Honey Lamb and Aer John were on staff travel so different rules apply.

Many airlines have rules of conduct etc when people are using their staff travel privileges.

These are the rules for Delta's Buddy Pass for example
Virgin Atlantic