#913168 by Sealink
14 Nov 2015, 02:09
It’s November, and the nights get long and the days get short… so what better way to spend a day off than a quick mini break to somewhere you’ve never been to before?

And what better airport to fly from than Stansted…

Yes, it’s true. I had a Wednesday off and I was desperate to get on a ‘plane.
But where too? Glasgow? Edinburgh? Truth be told, I’d rather get the train to Scotland. Belfast? Well I’d gone in September. Trip report to follow (!).

European destinations were expensive for a one night break, and I also had some time constraints too, limiting me to post 8.00pm departures.

So you can imagine my delight when Expedia offered a one night break to Cork, with hotel and flights for under £80…. Of course, the flights were from Stansted, an airport I can’t bear, but maybe it’s got better since my last visit… maybe…

Or maybe I could tweak the trip myself, to maximize my time off. The last flight to Cork from London on Tuesday night, and the last flight to London from Cork on Wednesday night. That meant Ryanair there, and Aer Lingus back… and for only £10 extra! The trip was on!

But first, the Stansted Express.

On a previous trip report I have lamented this dire service. Not only is the train NOT an express, it’s also insanely expensive for the journey. Standard class was around £20 single, while Business Class was £29, and First Class was £30. First Class also provided Fastrak Security access at Stansted and some complimentary refreshments. For the extra tenner, and after a long day at work, this seemed a no brainer.

Ah dear reader, Stansted Express is still rubbish. Oh, the trains are much nicer, the seats much softer, but the promised refreshments never materialized. My mood was not helped as earlier, my ticket had been checked before my bum even touched the seat, with a “Do you have a First Class ticket?”. Lovely.

As usual, I have pictures to tell the story.

See, the seats ARE nice…!

I love a train trolley service. Alas, my hard earned cash was unspent.

My disappointment at not being able to avail of the promised complimentary refreshments was abated by a text from my former work colleague who was on the same train. Thanks Facebook!

We eventually met at the airport for a celebratory Prosecco. But that was after I had gone through security…

I showed my ticket to the FastTrack security dragon.

“What am I supposed to do with that?” she barked.
“I have no idea” I replied. “I was told that it got me FastTrack access”

Now if there’s one thing that gets me onto Twitter faster than anything it’s poor customer service. A shrug of the shoulders and “Try over there” was the reply.
I went to QUEUE for a Fastrack pass. At this point I was livid and also bemused at the stupid loops Stansted makes you jump through. Oh if only I’d joined the masses at normal security I would have been annoyed at the queues but that would have been a healthy, righteous indignation rather than what I was doing: seething at the way Stansted makes cattle of all us.

Fastrack Security was pretty poor. A tattooed man barked at the crowd, he was just plain rude, actually. A lady was crying (!) as her suitcase had gone into the XRAY machine but had not come out. She was ignored, even when she pleaded with the security team to help find her suitcase. I found that to be absolutely disgusting behavior. Another passenger helped find her suitcase. The way Stansted Airport treated people that evening was despicable. I have experienced it before.

However, happy days! My pal, who I haven’t seen for AGES was at the airport. So we met up briefly for a glass of fizz before her flight to Berlin left.

I had plenty of time to spare so headed to the Escape Lounge. The approach doesn’t inspire confidence….

However I was pleasantly surprised by the lounge… of course, 7pm on a Tuesday night is probably the best time to visit!

I didn’t take a pic of the F&B offering, but it was basically hot foods like Steak Pies, Cheese ‘n’ Onion Pasties etc. and cold offerings like Beetroot and Mint salad, couscous etc.

There was a bar but it was not self service. I REPEAT, IT WAS NOT SELF SERVICE. IT WAS NOT SELF SERVICE, a third time.

So I had to wait for someone to appear to offer me a drink, and a pisspoor Richmond Gin brand was offered. A gin that is described as ‘being best suited to cocktails rather than drinking with tonic.’ and which ASDA sell in place of an own brand ‘value’ offering. I ask you.

The gate was announced. It was MILES away. Gate 48. The one where you walk the length of the terminal, then down escalators, then up escalators, then along a walk-a-lator and on and on and on… anyway, I got there.

I waited for what I thought was enough time before joining the queue, and it was still a long wait to board. I now get why people leave it to the last minute before boarding, as you seem to end up in a queue at the gate, or the bridge, or the aircraft steps, or onboard, otherwise.

This was the bird taking me to Cork….

I had declined to prebook my seats, but online check-in had offered my seat 19C – an aisle seat, result! In fact I had the aisle to myself. Also, the seatbelt fitted, even though it was really short ;-). For those who know me, that’s a result!

Legroom was decent. (I have short legs)

The Ryanair night flight experience was subdued.
The crew made one trip offering drinks and snacks, and a trip offering scratch cards.
No boarding music, no landing music, and pleasant lighting

Naturally, landing was early. (I have been on one Ryanair flight in 20 years that was late) and I jumped in a taxi to my bargain basement hotel.

This would do for a one nighter…

Ryanair were absolutely fine. Amazingly fine. Cork Airport is a joy. I loved Cork City. Stansted Airport and the Stansted Express however is one to miss.
#913170 by hazban
14 Nov 2015, 05:02
Hotel and flights for £80 stop your winging!
I have just paid half that for room service in La Jolla, bright sunshine included. :cool:

Sadly glued to the TV watching the news from Paris.
#913171 by hiljil
14 Nov 2015, 07:55
Thank you for a very different, amusing and entertaining TR with rather unique photos ! :D
#913175 by pjh
14 Nov 2015, 12:10
I see why you were so annoyed with the service, but as I have said elsewhere it was a breeze on Monday morning. Perhaps it was down to the time of day, but that's not an excuse.

On the Fast Track issue, the EasyJet tickets / boarding passes now clearly state whether you have Fast TracK / Speed Boarding.

The Escape Lounge's service of pies and pasties is a little bit of a surprise, but it's....ok. The grading of what is premium annoys others too, as when we were there in the summer one chap was expressing surprise that Tiger beer (I think) was "premium". I used the Aspire Lounge at Edi on my return on this trip and that was much better.
#913177 by tontybear
14 Nov 2015, 13:31
I can forgive you flying Ryan Air but Stanstead ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
#913178 by honey lamb
14 Nov 2015, 14:38
Sealink wrote:
Ryanair were absolutely fine. Amazingly fine. Cork Airport is a joy. I loved Cork City.

*cough* Aren't you missing something? :-(
#913180 by tontybear
14 Nov 2015, 14:53
honey lamb wrote:
Sealink wrote:
Ryanair were absolutely fine. Amazingly fine. Cork Airport is a joy. I loved Cork City.

I suspect Billy is saving his trip to see you for a special TR all of its own.
#913281 by buns
16 Nov 2015, 12:11
Thanks for the TR and for confirming my hate of Stanstead continues to be justified ;-)

Great pics and super descriptions throughout

Thank you

buns
#913743 by Sealink
27 Nov 2015, 00:25
honey lamb wrote:
Sealink wrote:

See my return TR!
Virgin Atlantic