#916183 by tontybear
20 Jan 2016, 22:48
So I this was the real start to my trip. After all flying to CPH was only the positioning flight!

I'd done plenty of searches on google flights looking at options and BA came out best in terms of flight times and price. Though perhaps if I'd booked via Expedia I'd have avoided the almost eye watering foreign exchange charge from my credit card as BA charged me in Danish Krona.

As part of the options I'd chosen an AA flight from LHR-JFK in order to give them a try (plus a way of avoiding the BA ying-yang) but returning on BA (for EU261 protection).

New Year's Day morning was cold in Copenhagen but the trains were running. The streets were full of the detritus of the night before - with used fire works, broken bottles, the odd single (ladies) shoe and the effects of too much alcohol all to be seen.

BA check-in is in T2 which is a bit of a trek (outside) from the station. There was no queue at the CE desks and I was efficiently but friendly dealt with and the agent was a tad jealous I was heading for New York and a comment of 'oh your not the only one going there today!'

Bags checked and BPs issued I headed upstairs for security. There was a long queue for normal but only 3-4 in front of me for fast track. The queue was minded very strictly with the agent checking BPs and if necessary for the correct coloured airline status card. They even had a glass gate that the agent opened!

The process was fine but people clogging up the tray area despite being asked / told to move to the benches not only to give them more space but to allow others through.

I walked through duty free but prices were so expensive that I didn't bother.

Got lost on the way to the lounge but eventually found it. Lounge nothing special but quiet. Limited range of drink and snacks.

Knowing it was a long walk to the gate I left early and then had to clear passport control into the non-Schengen zone but the queue moved quickly. Realised afterwards this was the reverse of my arrival process. No separation of arriving and departing passengers though which will be handy for when I complete the trip.

Boarding just started when I got there and they called CE and status passengers so I didn't have to wait though I did have to manoeuver around a couple of people clogging up the gate.

Warmly welcomed on board and found my CE seat which I'd chosen during booking due the bucket the fare was put in and even though I'd booked via BA I could also select the seat on my AA flight to JFK shortly after booking but had to wait until t-7 days to book the seat on my return BA flight.

Carry on and coat put in the over head and door closed by CC to prevent bag dumping - 2nd time I've seen this on a BA SH (but never on a LH) flight.

Rest of boarding took an age mainly due to the 'bring the kitchen sink' brigade. Checked my phone for any messages - nothing other than a few face book comments.

There were 5 rows of CE and only 2 free seats one of which was on my side. The middle seat has a table set into it so plenty of arm space even if leg room is tight. The entire row behind me occupied by a family of 4 from the US.

Once in the air a drinks run started quickly and I had a HL special.

Lunch was a choice of a prawn curry type thing or spicy chicken which I opted for. Was very nice. Filled the gap between the filling breakfast I'd had in the hotel and my expected snacking in the AA lounge at LHR.

lunch.JPG
lunch.JPG (18.01 KiB) Viewed 3251 times

CC service very good and lots of interaction with passengers and checking if all OK and needing drinks etc etc.

Dozed a bit. Had another HL special and before too long it was time to prepare for landing.

Long taxi to the terminal and a little delay in getting the bridge attached. Heard the dad of the family behind tell his wife they needed to get to T4 for their AA flight. I quickly reminded them they needed T3.

As this point I turned my phone back on and felt a vibration in my pocket - obviously a message or alert of some kind ...
#916185 by ScoobySu
20 Jan 2016, 23:22
tontybear wrote:Once in the air a drinks run started quickly and I had a HL special.

tontybear wrote:Dozed a bit. Had another HL special and before too long it was time to prepare for landing.

tontybear wrote:As this point I turned my phone back on and felt a vibration in my pocket - obviously a message or alert of some kind ...

It's another HL special! :D ;-) :-D

Sounds like a solid flight Tontybear - many thanks for the review & look forward to reading the next update!
#916188 by Bretty
21 Jan 2016, 01:14
Thanks Tonty, seems like all went well to start although I can't help wondering if the message on arrival was something ominous... looking forward to the next instalments.
#916189 by hiljil
21 Jan 2016, 08:19
Thank you for an enjoyable setting the scene for part two.

By contrast to Bretty I immediately thought the vibration heralded the start of something good ! Obviously my glass is half full. ( Well of coffee at this hour ! ). :-D
#916197 by HWVlover
21 Jan 2016, 16:57
tontybear wrote:As this point I turned my phone back on and felt a vibration in my pocket - obviously a message or alert of some kind ...

Blimey, what an ending, talk about keeping your readers in suspense.
As HL would say "Chop Chop Tonty" and get on with the next episode!
:-D
#916206 by honey lamb
21 Jan 2016, 21:02
HWVlover wrote:

Blimey, what an ending, talk about keeping your readers in suspense.
As HL would say "Chop Chop Tonty" and get on with the next episode!
:-D

I can't in all honesty say "Chop! Chop! on this occasion as I still have to do the TR for my return trip from JNB :blush:

I can however issue a disclaimer that I was in any way responsible for the vibration tonty felt in his pocket :eek:
Virgin Atlantic