#916421 by ColOrd
26 Jan 2016, 21:40
So another silly trip away and this one included a rather odd flight which is the Singapore Airlines 777 from Manchester for myself and a few friends to spend a few days away in Germany and Italy!

We had been planning this trip for quite a while and we got single fares (returning on BA from Venice) for £70 each which I didn't think was too bad!

Online check in was smooth and SQ allow you to check in 48 hours before, now sadly I didn't take advantage of the relatively cheap business class fares so it was the back of the plane for us four! I changed my seat to get a row to myself, and this worked a treat, I also managed to get Sequence 001!

Fast forward and we spent the evening at a Premier Inn at Heald Green on the outskirts of Manchester Airport for an early wake up call and a quick hop over to Terminal 2!

Bag Drop/Internet Check In was smooth with some very friendly Servisair Staff who even acknowledged my VS status but sadly no upgrades!! Security was a breeze and through to terminal 2! A few bits picked up in the terminal. My best mate had already availed himself of a lush breakfast at Frankie and Bennies and we thought it prudent to head to The Observatory Bar (I think that's what it was called!) which didn't do food but said I was welcome to buy from elsewhere in the terminal and eat in the bar! Now this is where I have to have a moan, went to Burger King which seemed sensible, only they don't do breakfast at this one, but they do offer a "Bacon Butty"! Wow what a swizz!!

I am used to paying a premium in airports and working in a train station I understand the captive market, however £3 for a tiny bun and three bits of streaky bacon was an absolute joke, and worse, not even any Brown Sauce! It was appalling! Anyway some crap breakfast was not going to ruin a good flight!

We watched the traffic for a little while including the VS110 from Atlanta and the 76 from MCO before our aircraft arrived and parked up at Gate 206!

Boarding was a few minutes late but with a light load that wasn't a big issue! Pre Boarding, then First and Business Class passengers, Premium Economy and then Economy from the back!

Again the Servisair Ground staff were friendly enough, and soon we were onboard!

Very impressed with the whole aircraft! I had never been on a 777 before and it was very nice. The business cabin looked nice if you had a window, if not it looked a bit dark, however the hard product looked amazing! The new SQ Premium didn't look as comfy or luxurious as VS but set itself apart from its less premium counterpart!

We were soon underway with at least 50 empty seats in Y so plenty of space to spread out!

Service was basic for a short hop across the North Sea, breakfast pastry or a cheese and ham roll! Much better than you would have got on BA, and the crew actually seemed happy and were very attentive I got a top of coffee three times and orange juice twice and the girl on my section was quite proactive!

The IFE was fantastic, responsive and very quick with some cool features on the moving maps!!

Landing into Munich was very smooth and our bags were out in a few minutes!

My overall sentiment for the trip was that I wish we hadn't been travelling all the way to SIN! I did think that my UC experience would have ruined me, however as Y goes it wasn't too bad and I was very impressed with my Singapore experience and would definitely have no hesitation booking with them again in future! It should also be noted that this MAN-MUC is a lovely way to start a trip vice a hop with EZY or Ryanair, or even dare I say it BA!?
#916424 by Bretty
26 Jan 2016, 22:36
Sounds like a great flight Col (or should I call you Ally now?), I hope you have a good trip. It's been a few years since I was in Munich, I used to travel there with work a couple of times a year for about 3 or so years. Lovely city. Have fun with your pals.
#916429 by jfenney
26 Jan 2016, 23:39
Thanks for the TR,

I am planning to use this route for the Octoberfest and apart from the 06:30 return I think it's great value at £150 return using a big aircraft for a short hop :-D and Try Singapore airlines too :-D
#916430 by TimCrawley
27 Jan 2016, 00:12
Very interesting TR, thanks for posting.

Certainly sounded a better flight than the old Deutche BA subsiduary flights I used to get to/from MUC and HAJ in the distant past and though the crew on those flights were friendly & helpful I certainly never got that number of refills !
#916431 by pjh
27 Jan 2016, 00:17
Thanks for the TR.

ColOrd wrote:I am used to paying a premium in airports and working in a train station I understand the captive market, however £3 for a tiny bun and three bits of streaky bacon was an absolute joke, and worse, not even any Brown Sauce! It was appalling!

Clearly never ventured out onto the concourse at KGX then ;-)
#916468 by hazban
28 Jan 2016, 00:08
I can concur with your observations regarding Singapore. Have been fortunate enough to fly from MAN to MUC in business then have the pleasure of many more hours of attentive service to the Far East.
Very light load to MUC as you mentioned, strangely had to de plane there and re-board after a wander round the terminal. On the return we stayed on the plane whilst it was 'refreshed' and the crew changed which was quite interesting to observe.
As you say the short haul route is not very widely advertised but I'm sure the airline will appreciate you bringing it to the attention of a wider audience! ;-)
#916493 by Maximus
28 Jan 2016, 14:21
I would never have thought of travelling to MUC on SQ! I flew to MEL with them many years ago- they were excellent.

How was Venice? We are spending the day there in a few weeks, a mad rush around in 7 hours.
#916506 by ColOrd
28 Jan 2016, 23:45
RBretty I m currently re-watching the whole series ready for that trip!!

Pjh seriously I don't consider any of the outlets on the concourse at KX in the same league as that BurgerKing!

The rest of the trip has been really fun, we spent a day in Munich, then courtesy of our Staff Travel get 8 days free travel on Duestche Bahn so we took the sleeper to Hamburg (not an experience to repeat!) and then spend Tuesday in Hamburg, train to Copenhagen, and then flew SAS back to Munich (no this trip wasn't booked around Flying Club partners but a happy coincidence!!)

Today has been anothe day in Munich, then tomorrow we take the train down to Venice and fly back Saturday to LGW.

I have to say that Copenhagen airport was amazing and SAS staff were lovely but I wasn't too keen on the CRJ regional jets they use!
Virgin Atlantic