#918009 by mitchja
26 Feb 2016, 17:05
Before I start, not much of this TR is the actual flight but thought I'd post a report about what I got up to whilst here.

Didn't have long to wait for my next flight. Smaller aircraft for this leg, A320 I think though this time was full.

Similar boarding process as the first flight, though no business class seats, just the first few rows of economy used as a business class cabin. Again though I was just in economy for this flight.

We pushed back on time and before we reached the runway, our aircraft went through a dedicated de-icing area.

No in-seat IFE on this flight, however there where over-head LCD screens showing the route map and external cam views. The economy service was the same as the previous flight. Friendly and cheerful crew again. The flight to IVL was a little under 2hrs. It stops at IVL first and then goes down to Kittila (KTT).

It was dark by the time we arrived at IVL so couldn't really see much scenery wise, however, you could see lots of snow and feel the low temperatures so it's a good idea to put a hat and gloves in your hand luggage TBH though it's a very short walk to the terminal. No actually aircraft stands there, you just get off using steps and then make a short walk to the terminal building. Bags where coming off in no time and as soon as we exited baggage reclaim our hotel staff where waiting to greet us all.

After some quick introductions with the people in our group we made our way to The Wilderness Lodge hotel which took about 40mins. The temperature was quite mild at -4'C, the roads are all covered in ice though obviously all the cars have special winter tyres.

We also had to stop on the way for a family of reindeer who where in the road, though we where warned this does happen a lot here :)

I know it's not specifically flight related but I will put some pics of the activities I did during the 4 days I was there.

The temperatures varied from been as high as -3'C to as low as -20'C on the day we departed. I generally don't really feel the cold (what with being a hard Northerner hehe). Some other people their where quite frankly being very silly and not wearing the correct winter gear. It's not like the gear wasn't available either as they loaned you the outer gear and boots etc. Some people seemed just not to want to wear the all-in-ones. Ski gear alone is simply not enough. Apparently in early January the temp had been as low as -36'C

Forget looking like and dressing like a rock star and wear thermal undergarments. Several loose layers are the key rather than bulking up as it's the air gaps that maintain the warmth.

My attire consisted of normal underwear, thermal long-john bottoms, normal socks with some thick thermal boot socks on top, lined trackie bottoms, a t-shirt, wool jumper, a fleece, scarf, fur lined hat covering my ears which ties under my chin, thermal insulated gloves, the provided lined boots and finally the outer all-in-one. The legs have zips you you can put that on whilst wearing your boots. I did also start with a thermal under shirt but actually took that off as I was too warm!

For the snowmobiling you have to wear a crash helmet with full face visor so they also provide balaclavas for wearing under those. You also need a driving license to drive those in case the police stop you on them. You do have to sign an insurance waiver stating you will have to pay upto €800 if you have an accident on them.

Whilst I was there, someone in another group did mange to hit a tree and turn theirs over. Even the I structure couldn't understand how they managed that. No idea of the damage caused though they where not injured apparently.

They are very easy to drive, having an automatic gearbox and you just have a brake on your left handle bar and the accelerator on your right handle bar. They are easy to steal as they simply follow the tracks already left from previous snowmobiles.

I had paid a single supplement for my snowmobiling so I was incredible lucky so be any to drive mine on my own. Everyone else had to share, one driving and the other day behind the driver.

They take you on a little orientation trip round the local frozen lake before you set off to get used to them.

Other activities included snow shoeing which was also good fun, especially the 2 races we had in 3 foot snow. Every single one of use ended up face down in the snow after about 3 strides!!

IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 3706 times

Snowmobiling, both during the day and at night :cool:

IMGP0184.jpg
IMGP0184.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 3706 times

At one point on one of our trips we where shown the 'line' marked on trees which is the exclusion zone 2Km away from the Russian boarder.

IMGP0187.jpg
IMGP0187.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 3706 times

The same trip also consisted of some ice-fishing as well, though we caught nothing.

Visiting a reindeer farm where we all got to feed them (I’ll skip over what we had for lunch *cough* that same day. Reindeer is the staple meat here as well and being the biggest industry too.)

IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 3706 times

There was a Husky safari which was fantastic. As soon as we approached the Husky farm where they where out and ready to go they went mental. They where full of energy the whole time and you could see much much they enjoyed it once we started. If we stopped for any reason, they would all literally turn round and give you a dirty look!! The brake bar on the back of the sled pushed 2 spikes down into the snow / ice. You had to literally put as much weight on it as you could as your 6 Huskies where constantly trying to pull away.

IMGP0145.jpg
IMGP0145.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 3706 times

IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0126.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3706 times

Three evening ‘Aurora Camps’ where also included which consisted of going to different remote areas either on snowmobiles or being pulled by a snowmobile in a trailer, setting up camp, sitting on reindeer skins, building a fire in either a hut or in the open air. Drinking warm berry juice, toasting marshmallows on the fire, eating ginger biscuits and of course, if clear enough spotting the Northern Lights, which I did one evening. Even though it was quite faint I’m so glad I can now say I’ve seen them :)

The Finnish government provide many of these huts dotted around the whole area completely free for anyone to use. They range from basic huts with just a fire pit in the middle to huts with their own saunas and compost toilets in them!!

I'm so pleased to say I did manage to see the Northern Lights, all be it they where quite faint:

IMGP0188.jpg
IMGP0188.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3706 times

All in all I had a fantastic trip whilst meeting some great people and I'd go back without any hesitation. I'd recommend it to anyone. This was probably one of my most favourite trips ever :D
#918011 by hiljil
26 Feb 2016, 17:53
Phew. So pleased for you ! It sounds a wonderful trip. I love the photos.

Thank you for posting.
#918012 by DVCMichael
26 Feb 2016, 18:04
Seems like you had a great time on your trip. The northern lights are indeed something to see, always fancied a go on a snowmobile. I didn't realise they are an automatic gearbox. Dog sledding is great fun, we did some in Canada a few years ago and as you say the dogs seem to enjoy it more than us. You certainly seem to have packed a lot into your break.
#918013 by ScoobySu
26 Feb 2016, 18:08
What a fantastic experience - the Northern Lights are on hubby's bucket list too so I will share this with him - and it's given me an idea for his significant birthday in a couple of years ;-)

Thank you so much for sharing - it looks like you had a brilliant time.
#918015 by pjh
26 Feb 2016, 18:45
James

Thanks for this. As with the others, the other half's "must do" is the Northern Lights either on retirement or 60th (whichever comes first). I blame the film "Local Hero".
#918022 by Bretty
26 Feb 2016, 21:09
Thanks for posting this James, it looks like you had an awesome trip. My other half went to Finland and Lapland many years ago for work and had a great time. We went to Estonia just a few years ago with temperatures in the city reaching -16c and you had to be well prepped, but the gear you had sounds like you end looking like the Michelin man!

Glad you had a good time.
#918025 by mitchja
26 Feb 2016, 21:49
The gear isn't too bad to wear or move around in at all. It's all about several thin layers rather than bulking up. Here's a pic of me, only thing I'm not wearing here are my gloves:

IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 3580 times

It was a pretty hectic schedule, though not particularly hard going. We only really got the first morning free and then a couple of hours each day free in between the activities.
#918030 by buns
27 Feb 2016, 08:05
James

Thank you for an excellent brace of TRs.

All credit for being brave to travel to such cold climes :-D I will have to stat thinking about my "to do" list :blush:

buns
#918043 by Maximus
27 Feb 2016, 18:33
Great report of what sounds like an ideal trip. Did similar in Northern Iceland in January a few years ago and had a great time!
Virgin Atlantic