#918225 by julmops
02 Mar 2016, 23:04
I was on holidays last January to the Caribbean and the minute I came back, my manager informed me that she wanted me to travel to our colleagues in Denver to meet them and see what is done in their office.
I then started to look at flights and automatically looked at Virgin. Of course, we all know that they don’t fly direct to DEN but courtesy of Delta, it’s something that was well possible and a very good price too.
It would have to be Economy restricted as my company doesn’t allow anything else anymore.
So decided for the following itinerary.
LHR-MSP-DEN
DEN-ATL-LHR
Both outbound flights and first inbound sector with Delta and the last leg on VS metal.
In the meantime, I looked at paid upgrades and paid for the Comfort+ upgrades and all 3 Delta sectors.
I arrived at Heathrow around 9.15am for my 12.45 departure from T4.
Check-in was very quiet and I actually didn’t queue at all. My passport was first checked with the usual questions on where, why and how long and the security sticker applied to my passport and then I proceeded to the bag drop desk where my luggage was tagged all the way to Denver, however I was informed that arrived in MSP, I should clear immigration first, pick my luggage from the belt, clear customs and put my luggage on another belt before going through security.
The whole thing took about 5 minutes watch in hand. I was well impressed.
Then through security and I mean literally through as it took 2 minutes … No queue whatsoever !!
I had booked myself on the No1 / Skyteam lounge and I was quite happy with it. I had a full(ish) English and nibbles and it was all very nice. The lounge was quiet to start with but became busier as time passed by. It covers the whole Skyteam alliance plus the paying guests like me so I imagine it can be quite busy at times.
I decided to walk to the gate once it was announced on the screens and it was pretty busy already.
Boarding started pretty much on time with special assistance, followed by families with small children, Premium passengers, Sky Priority and finally general boarding.
The plane was reasonably full but the boarding was done quite quickly.
We were on a 767-400, a first for me.
Flight time was announced at 8 hours and 28 minutes.
As it was my first time in long-haul Delta, I couldn’t help but comparing them with VS.
I think they couldn’t be more different even if they tried.
The general appearance of the whole product is quite old fashioned and bland.
The service was polite but absolutely minimal in terms of being personable and attentive.
Most of the cabin crew were well over 40, which is absolutely not an issue but a far cry from VS.
Or is it because Delta is just … beige ?
Anyway, the flight was pretty uneventful, however food service was interesting.
First round of drinks was served within 20 minutes of taking off. Being in Comfort+, alcoholic drinks were included so I had a few glasses of white wine, which was delicious.
Right after the first round of drinks, lunch was served which a choice of olive and tomato crusted chicken breast with mash and courgettes , which was my choice and absolutely delicious.
Furthermore, there were vegetarian lasagne and another chicken dish which eludes me now.
This was served with a nice mixed salad as a started, a little bread roll and butter, a little slice of cheddar with biscuits and 2 ginger cookies but no real dessert … That was the only disappointment of this meal. And of course full bar service once again but not only once but twice !
About 4 hours before landing, a little box with grissinis and a delicious sweet pepper spread was served with another double full bar service and a little chocolate.
Finally about 90 minutes before landing, we were served a duck wrap with hoisin sauce and a very nice ice cream … With yet again another double full bar service! I can tell that DL isn’t stingy with their drinks.
Between meals, I watched A Royal Night Out, had a little sleep and talked to my neighbour who was a plastic surgeon from the Mayo Clinic … Very interesting guy.
We landed in MSP a little late but we were out of the plane in no time.
Immigration was an absolute dream.
To the ESTA machines, no queue, got my confirmation leaflet in seconds, to the officer, no queue, 3 questions and a stamp later, I was waiting for my luggage.
It took a bit of time but it was fine as I had almost 3.5 hours to spend in MSP.
Through customs, I only gave the leaflet to the officer who told me to go through without further ado …
Off to put my luggage back on the other belt and to security which queue was the longest I’ve been on the whole trip and still I was done in 10 minutes.
All in all, quite impressed for my first experience with long-haul Delta.
No fluff whatsoever but a solid, honest service, which I was quite pleased with, once I understood that I wasn’t with Virgin and there was no point trying to compare them.
The next sector will be detailed in the next TR.
Thanks for reading !
#918249 by buns
03 Mar 2016, 10:52
Thanks for an interesting TR

The "compare and contrast" was very illuminating and I did chuckle at your beige comment.

I suppose I would be right in thinking that Econ + is Delta's answer to PE??

Thanks once again

buns
#918250 by SlimpyJones
03 Mar 2016, 11:40
I would probably say it's kinda half-way in between VS ELR seats and PE... given the extra service such as alcohol, priority boarding and such. Recently they have been trying to market it as a cabin in itself, but clearly it's not a touch on a proper PE seat.

Cheers for the TR anyway julmops! What was your opinion on the C+ seat? Not sure how tall you are but was it a nice extra to have?
#918269 by julmops
03 Mar 2016, 14:58
Hi guys, thanks for your comment.
As SlimpyJones said, it's very much a hybrid between ELR and PE but it's pretty popular. I paid £69 extra for the privilege on that sector so not the end of the world. The seat had 35 inches pitch which was really good and it was pretty comfy.
#918274 by hiljil
03 Mar 2016, 17:24
Thank you for an interesting TR. I do like to read of experiences other than on VS by our fair minded V-Flyers !
#918279 by Maximus
03 Mar 2016, 19:04
Thanks for the TR.

I always assumed plastic surgeons would be up front judging the amount they charged me for my nip and tuck ;-)
Virgin Atlantic