#918553 by Sealink
09 Mar 2016, 04:02
I haven't been on the Sleeper train for years, and was keen to give it another go, especially now that it is a self-contained franchise, rather than a subset of a bigger company.

The new operators, Serco, kept the name, Caledonian Sleeper, but relaunched the brand - you'll see the theme in some of the pics.

They have introduced advance booking all year round - which is revolutionary as in the UK you can generally only book 90 days ahead.

During the booking process, you can prebook dinner too, which I did.

First things first - an inauspicious start at Euston Station, where the Virgin Trains First Class lounge continues to disappoint.

At around 8pm on a Thursday night, the place was packed, and it didn't help that passengers spread themselves about with seats being used to protect suitcases from the awful floor ;-)

However, it did empty at around 8.30pm and it was nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of the main station.

I made my way down to Platform 1 where my carriage awaited. This was in the far corner of the station.

I can't tell you how excited I was to be getting on the sleeper train. There's something really special about boarding this train, knowing that you could be going asleep in the city and walking up in the Highlands.

That excitement was enhanced when I was met at the train by one of the Caledonian Sleeper staff, who reconfirmed my booking, took my breakfast order and also explained that a table had been reserved for me, and to pop along any time to the lounge car as I could dine when I was ready.

But first, to the cabin.

Now, these trains are old. Very old and it shows in places.

The corridors are narrow.

I had booked "First Class", which was cheaper than standard. This simply means that there is no top bunk, so you are not sharing with someone.

You also get a handie toiletry pack, from Arran Aromatics. One of the things this included was a pillow odoriser, to aid a relaxing sleep!

There's light controls:

Image Image

And temperature controls, which was surprisingly responsive.

Cabins are not en-suite - although this is coming in 2017.

To the lounge car! Again, I should point out that the lounge was looking dated, however, that was not going to be a problem.

I had my magazines, my book and my bottle of Prosecco so was quite happy.

Also, the staff kept on checking on people in the lounge car and stopping for quick chats, so there was a really convivial atmosphere.

However, we hadn't left Euston because of a fault with the train. The driver then had to take his allocated break so we left about 45 minutes late.

Dinner was served. It tasted great - but I think they could have worked on the presentation. Not much to complain about really as it tasted good.

Followed by a cheeseboard, and GIN!

I moved tables to one which had a charging point, and then had a few more gins, before going back to the cabin to try and get some sleep.

Sleeping on the sleeper is an acquired skill, and I know some people who fall asleep almost immediately, while people like me, seem to feel every movement of the train.

However I did get some sleep, and woke to this:

I headed through to the lounge for breakfast.

It was really early and I was the only person up!

I had a few more hours sleep back in the cabin.

I popped over to the new Caledonian Sleeper lounge in Inverness for a shower, coffee and biscuit.

At every point of the journey, and every staff member that I encountered, I sensed their sense of pride at working for the sleeper. Nothing was ever a problem. When I disembarked at Inverness, the steward of my carriage came down to say goodbye and hoping to see me again.

It was with a sense of wonderful well-being that I popped over to Inverness Station for the journey to Wick...

#918554 by buns
09 Mar 2016, 06:02
Sealink

Thank you very much indeed for a super Report. It reminded me of my journey back in the mid 80's - only the food offerings have of course greatly improved :D

it has always struck me that the Euston first Lounge is a far better experience when shared with a group of friends ;-) and I have to agree about the sleeping as you sleep across the cabin, rather than in the direction of travel.

Please continue to be our roving reported :-D

buns
#918555 by Maximus
09 Mar 2016, 07:13
Fantastic review, thanks. As a Highlander myself (though no longer resident) I may consider trying this as an alternative to my usual driving up one day soon.

The carriages do look very dated. Will the ensuites due in 2017 be new carriages or renovated old carriages?

Thanks for posting, a grea read.
#918556 by hiljil
09 Mar 2016, 08:15
Thank you for a most enjoyable, interesting and different TR. The photos really captured the experience for me.
#918563 by Fuzzy14
09 Mar 2016, 14:27
Something different! Great read, thanks.

It's a shame they couldn't get the Nightstar to work (regional sleeper services using the Channel Tunnel) or indeed after the service was scrapped they sold the coaches to Canada rather than use them on the Caley Sleeper. Seems a pretty civilised way to travel.
#918589 by pjh
09 Mar 2016, 23:12
Thanks for the TR. Something about the pictures of the snow outside makes the idea very romantic. When I worked in Edimburgh for a few years a colleague used to swear by the sleeper (is there still such a thing?) for getting up to the city at the start of the week.
#918724 by tomthumb
12 Mar 2016, 21:00
Brilliant trip report - clearly one to add to the bucket list - love the Highlands and the malts :-P
Virgin Atlantic