#919075 by Sealink
23 Mar 2016, 02:21
Another quick search of BA Holidays offerings presented Jersey as an option.

Return flights in Club Europe and one night’s B&B in St. Helier was £245.00.

80 Tier Points and a bunch of Avios to be had – I know this isn’t the cheapest way of getting Tier Points but I do find the trips very enjoyable.

My flight was at 1145am, and I could easily have made it to the airport that morning, living in South London. But everytime I go to Gatwick I see this hotel called ‘bloc’ and I really wanted to try it. So I booked it on the day. This kind of late booking is all new to me. I felt like I was living life my the seat of my pants, and I don’t much like it!

Incidentally, I had tried to book the Sofitel (using the mystery hotel price on last minute.com. I tried twice and on each occasion my booking was rejected after the payment was taken. Pretty shady on last minute.com if you ask me - a read of their small print shows that the confirmation number was actually an acceptance of your booking request.

But first, getting to Gatwick. Thanks to Southern Trains incompetence, I was late getting home as all trains from London Bridge were delayed. However, I am used to this so I sought sojourn at the coffee shop in the ShangriLa hotel at the Shard. It’s on the lowest level so no views or anything but it was nice to be away from the mob on the concourse.

It was all just average, but a nice diversion all the same.

Southern’s incompetence continued with a platform change announced at East Croydon (oh yeah, there was stuff in between London Bridge and East Croydon, but even I draw the line at doing a trip report on essentially my commute home, a shower and then a train to Gatwick, changing at East Croydon) so I missed the train I intended to get, but there was another one soon enough.

I forgot that I had bought some G&T’s to drink on the train (yeah, I’m one of those passengers): only remembering after a panic search for my passport; so I had a G&T on the train.

Bloc was well signposted. It’s located in the South Terminal and you take the lift to their reception area on Level 3. There, a very pleasant receptionist advised me that they’d received my note requesting a runway view, and they could offer me a partial view. That was fine.

Back to the lift, and up to the 5th floor (I think) to my cabin.

The cabin was compact, but actually, pretty much perfect for an overnight stay. There was a book of discount vouchers next to the bed for lots of shops in the South Terminal. I really just wanted to sleep, but took a few pics. For you.

Everything (apart from the TV) was controlled from this tablet, fixed to the wall.

Everything followed the ‘bloc’ branding.

The next morning, this was the view

And a little bit down the corridor was this joyous scene:

It was time to head to the North Terminal, but not before a quick rendezvous with two pals who were headed to Athens that morning. It was literally a hello and a quick chat before we parted ways.

The shuttle to North Terminal was quiet and the North Terminal is looking smarter these days. I really like the lift with the yellow ‘swish’ as the move up and down.

Wasn’t so impressed with Gatwick this Saturday morning. There seemed to be no Fastrak security in operation, and they have adopted the London City way of doing security, where maybe three of four people man a section and you stand in front of them, unloading all your stuff into the trays. This is fine, except it’s really irritating when you stand in front of someone who doesn’t understand that an iPhone is an electronic device. But I digress, was through in no time at all, only to discover that my liquids bag had a broken zip, so they had to swab my stuff as two bottles were not IN THE CLEAR PLASTIC BAG. This added precious moments to the process and I had a lounge to get to. Or not. The Galleries lounge is of course closed so I ventured to the No.1 Traveller. Dear god. What were they thinking. I have posted my thoughts on this place in another thread. I can see BA making an effort with a long desk with a big BA sign and staff on hand, but it actually diminishes both BA and No.1 Traveller. Total Crap. I wasn’t even BA Bronze at this stage and I was feeling a bit flouncey.

Another passenger, not a member of staff, found a seat for me. I sat down and just looked around and realised that in no way could this be called a premium experience, and I didn't want to be there.

But it was what it was. I left, to go to Jamie’s Italian for an English breakfast.

Something else, right?

The flight was delayed by about an hour, but I had my book (So, You’ve Been Publicly Shamed, by Jon Ronson: it’s a really interesting read about people who have made mistakes, and how social networking treats them. As someone who uses Twitter to sometimes have a go at companies for getting it wrong, it was surprising to see just what a mob I am part of. Be polite folks!)

I headed to Gate … er, something and boarded. Unlike most flights, I was able to walk straight on to the ‘plane from the airbridge, without being kettled there.

I was really pleased to see, and I mean this most sincerely, that there was a more ‘senior’ crew on board. They really do have more fun. And just seemed to pay a bit more attention, noticing and checking if I was comfortable in the seat etc.

Legroom did feel tight on this one.

Leaving a grey and wet Gatwick behind.

A surprisingly substantial lunch was served.

The flight was non eventful. Unless I’ve blocked something awful that happened, but I think I’d definitely have taken a photograph of it, and there’s just loveliness on my phone.

And in no time at all we were approaching Jersey.

Nice to see a little Blue Islands plane. Soon to be in Flybe colours as they become a Flybe franchise.

Jersey Airport

Some reminders of times past…

…and change

Incidentally, on all my recent Club Europe flights, the Jersey one was by far the busiest. Presumably because there are some great bargains to be had in the cabin. The first 8 rows of the ‘plane were Club Europe, and I counted 21 passengers in Club. Yet the service from the BA crew was great.
#919077 by buns
23 Mar 2016, 06:51
Sealink

You certainly are a "roving reporter" :-D

Great TR with pics that fully conveyed your experience. Living close to Gatwick it is unlikely I will ever stay at the Bloc, so I particularly liked the snaps you took there.

I would imagine BA Types not at all pleased that they have drawn the short straw on the Chinese puzzle moves between the terminals. Whilst i am a great fan on No1 Lounges, it does seem as though the facilitates are simply being swamped.

Perhaps one day i will post pics of my very first flight from Gatwick to Jersey back in 1959 :blush:

Thanks

buns
#919078 by hiljil
23 Mar 2016, 08:05
Thank you for another interesting chapter from the Sealink Travelogue.
#919081 by LHRrules
23 Mar 2016, 09:59
Great photos!

I also think bloc hotel is great for the night before a fight. The VIP rooms especially are fantastic. They do some awesome park and stay deals which make it a no brainer!
#919082 by Traveller2
23 Mar 2016, 10:15
How on earth did you have the time to eat your meal on the flight?! I'm always at the rear of the plane and it's as much as I can do to down my G&T before we land! I fly to Jersey with BA regularly and no matter what time of day and what day of the week, flights are invariably full.
Virgin Atlantic