#919094 by Sealink
24 Mar 2016, 02:19
The quest to keep the dark, dank London January and February bearable started with a trip to Palma a few weeks previously, followed by a trip to Krakow, and then a trip to Bilbao.

I had visited Bilbao in 2009 and had a fantastic time during their August festival. Returning in the winter, what would I find? And what would the flight be like?

Last time I was flying on easyJet, this time, I would be on BA given their bargain holiday prices.

Return flights from Heathrow, with one night B&B at a nice 4* hotel (Hesperia Bilbao) was £134.00 in economy, and £268 in Club Europe.

I had an early flight on Saturday morning, so headed to the Hilton Garden Inn the night before. This is just around the corner from Hatton Cross Underground Station (a bleak place) and was walking distance. Despite a tiny niggle when checking in, I really liked this hotel. Much nicer than say a Premier Inn, with a fantastically comfortable bed and the room was quite bright. No runway views though but it was just one night….

So, a few pictures of the Hilton Garden Inn, Heathrow…

This used to be a Jurys Inn but the looks of it they have completely redesigned the place.

The next morning it was a quick walk to Hatton Cross for the tube to Terminal 3.

A linger outside the Virgin area of the airport before heading to security.

Security was quick, and quite entertaining.
A more mature gentleman was advised that he had something in his hand, and he replied, condescendingly:

“I think you’ll find, if you paid attention that my hand is in a cast!”

The polite security guard countered with “Your other hand? You’re holding an iPhone…”

The other gentleman changed his tune but I did reflect that security staff at airports have a lot put on them.

I headed to the BA Lounge, which felt like it was miles away, on account of having to run the gauntlet of the Terminal 3 shops.

It was quite busy around the entrance and I had a porridge and an orange, before exploring the rest of the place to find that it was really huge and not at all busy.

Now dear reader, I have a confession to make. I do like Champagne. And Prosecco. Was it too early to have a glass at 7.30am on a Saturday morning? I tell you what, I didn’t think so. However, by the reaction of the member of staff when I asked for a glass (and I hate having to do that – in the Virgin Club House they walk around topping Champagne up for people!) you’d have thought I’d just told her I’d killed her granny. Honestly, why are you judging me for having some fizz? Yes – I felt like I’d been judged for partaking of alcohol so early in the morning.

With my buzz slightly killed, I slunk into a comfy chair and read the Rotten Boroughs page of Private Eye, as I think it’s good to be angry as you board a flight.

Boarding was odd. Lots of passengers were guided to a jetbridge which ended up looking over the apron, so we re-traced out steps and found that we w ere not using a jetbridge today, and also, were boarding from the back of the ‘plane.

I hadn’t experiecend that before and it was an odd experience having to wait for passengers to put their bags away and get comfy before I could get to my Club Europe seat.

However, the service was excellent. I have flown Club Europe about once a year before this years batch of flights, and I have never been asked if I needed help with my coat. Today, that changed. And a super member of crew asked if I wanted to hang my coat up. A nice touch. And he was super all the way through the flight. It is al about the people isn’t it?

New BA European seats – so legroom a bit tight.

Take off was smooth and soon we were up up and away.

Service started quickly with the hot towels, and a cooked breakfast.

My question about Champagne was answered by my super crew member with a question. “Is it ever too early? And on a weekend too…” and a bottle was presented to me.

And then breakfast.

Breakfast was almost entirely grease free, although I am sure some readers are aghast at drinking fizz with an omelette. An airplane omelette at that!

Just a quick check that the engines were still there

The captain advised that there were some very strong winds on the approach to Bilbao, and sure enough, the ‘plane was being knocked about quite a bit.

Around this point there was a noticeable drop in altitude and I heard lots of gasps from the other passengers. I remained cool though, because I am British and additionally have no idea of what the protocol is when a plane rapidly loses altitude. Of course, it was probably only a few feet but it just felt much more.

I continued taking pictures until we landed.

I had forgotten how stunning Bilbao Airport is.

I didn’t want to wait for the local bus so jumped into a taxi to the hotel.

My room door was camouflaged….

The room was tiny and overhot.

Apart from that, the hotel was nice enough. Friendly staff, cheap mini bar and excellent breakfast.

A local bar. Gin, anyone?

Bilbao was everything I remembered, and more. A fantastic city.

The home of pintxos did not disappoint.

And surprise surprise, another Spanish city having a party!

This was the Air Bilbao crew…

We wandered from bar to bar, enjoying beer and pintxos along the way and observing all the amazing costumes on display.

There was an almighty clap of thunder and then the heavens opened. So time to retire to a bar from a G&T… the first of many…

… and a good enough time to bring this report to a close. Cheers!
Last edited by Sealink on 24 Mar 2016, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
#919096 by hiljil
24 Mar 2016, 08:14
A super read, thank you. The standard never drops.

I hadn't realised that an airport terminal could be so aesthetically pleasing to look at !
#919120 by tomthumb
24 Mar 2016, 20:33
"I remained cool though, because I am British and additionally have no idea of what the protocol when a plane rapidly loses altitude. "

Love the comment :-D and looks a great Airport
#919165 by pjh
25 Mar 2016, 16:37
Sealink wrote:Around this point there was a noticeable drop in altitude and I heard lots of gasps from the other passengers. I remained cool though, because I am British and additionally have no idea of what the protocol is when a plane rapidly loses altitude. Of course, it was probably only a few feet but it just felt much more.

Tish and pish that you don't! Get a few blurry videos on your phone of the aircraft shaking a bit and people gasping, and then contact the Daily Mail stating "I thought we were going to die....".

Overall a great series of TRs, and what rate do you charge for destination hotel consultancy?
Virgin Atlantic