#919627 by Hev60
05 Apr 2016, 19:39
After a wonderful week in Orlando it was soon time to head down to the gulf coast. In Orlando we made some early morning visits to some of the Disney hotel resorts for breakfast, then walked around the lakes at the Broadwalk, Carribbean Beach, Port Orleans etc but noticed how crowded the resorts were. One day we headed north to Ocala and also visited some lovely state parks and gardens - shows there is more to Orlando than just the Mouse and thrill rides!

For anyone interested just to let you know, the VS Downtown check in desks have been moved and are now at the very far end of what was previously known as the Westside. I feel sorry for anyone seeking this checkin service out for the first time. On our second visit to this new Disney Springs 'construction site' we found ourselves in a surface car park, rather than taking notice of staff directing us to the multi storey car park. For info, anyone doing the VS Downtown check-in, once you've been able to get into the chaos area then drive over to the far left side near the Cirque du Soleil bldg (don't use the multi storey car park) and follow signs for Virgin checkin but be warned parking seemed difficult.

Our week at the Diplomat Resort on Longboat a Key passed so quickly and then it was time to head home, travelling from Sarasota to JFK on JetBlue then VS to Heathrow.

Sarasota airport seemed like a good idea. It is a small airport but deals with quite a few domestic flights. Dropping the car off was so easy and then we just walked to the terminal. The airport is well laid out with some nice shops and restaurants. Friendly checkin agent tagged out bags to JFK saying had we have been with BA he could have checked them right through to London. Security was a breeze, as for some reason we had 'priority line' written on our boarding pass.

The incoming JetBlue flight from New York was 10minutes late but they assured us the turn round was possible and once all boarded, we would leave on time. It was a full flight and most passengers had an incredible amount of 'carry on' bags. They even announced any bags given up to go into the hold would not incur a charge. Tad annoyed at this announcement as we had to pay for our extra bags at $35 x 2. Boarding was slow, initially because there were four wheelchair passengers, lots of families with very young children and of course all those carry on bags take ages to store in the overhead bins.

Finally our seats in row 3 was announced for boarding. We sat down, strapped up and then the Captain came out and announced we had lost our slot, and we would be delayed at least 2hours because JFK had runway problems due to cross winds. We deplaned, went back into the terminal and sat for what seemed ages but they gave free snacks and non alcoholic drinks whilst we waited.

Then boarding commenced again and eventually we pushed back 2hrs and 15minutes late. This delay was going to affect us significantly at the other end, at JFK. The flight up was quite uneventful and no sign of the wind issue as we finally made our approach into JFK, having been on hold for 15minutes. New York was by now dark and extremely wet & misty. It took absolutely forever to get our luggage and then we had long walk from JetBlue terminal 5 to the Airtrain point where the terminal train took us one stop to Terminal 4.

Not sure we will consider this route home in the future but if we did, I would make sure we used Delta for our connection. However when sitting in the Clubhouse at JFK we heard of the horrendous delay for the MCO - Gatwick flight so at that point we was glad we didn't opt to drive back to Orlando.
#919634 by buns
05 Apr 2016, 21:41
Thanks for the TR and the update on the VS Downtown Check in (wonder if it will be re-named now that "Disney Springs" is the official title :-P

BTW does anyone know if Church Street Station is still in existence?? Many years back is use dto be "the place" to go for the evening after a day at the Parks - of course both Disney and Universal made thier own entertainiment centres and now capture folks that way.

Hope you had a nice time in Sarasota

buns
#919638 by Hev60
05 Apr 2016, 22:22
buns wrote:
BTW does anyone know if Church Street Station is still in existence?? Many years back is use dto be "the place" to go for the evening after a day at the Parks - of course both Disney and Universal made thier own entertainiment centres and now capture folks that way.

buns

Yes I remember going up there in the 90's but I'm not sure if it exists in that entrainment format anymore.
Rosie O'Grady's closed years ago and I think I read the place is a shell of its former self.

On this trip we commented that Disney have done an about turn! Many years ago there was the night-life complex of Pleasure Island (attached to what was then the Disney marketplace). Then they pulled it all down in favour of a more family friendly environment but now, in order to compete with Universal's City life, the bars and restaurants are back.

Talking nostalgia - Wet & Wild is closing its doors for ever at the end of 2016 and that's an end of another era. I guess the Disney & Acquatica water parks are far more appealing these days.
#919646 by buns
06 Apr 2016, 06:02
Thanks for that Hev60

How things have moved on over the years ;-) I now know why they say travelling to Orlando is a trip of a lifetime - you spend a lifetime trying to keep up with all the changes :cool:

buns
#919648 by hiljil
06 Apr 2016, 07:00
Thank you for the TR. I read it with great interest as I have been considering using SRQ - but after your experiences I am reconsidering ! Whilst leaving from SRQ could be so convenient for me , if the rest of the journey is more stressful & tiring then a direct flight home again seems , for me, overall the better option.

Glad you had a good time on lovely Longboat Key.
#919649 by dickydotcom
06 Apr 2016, 08:04
Thanks for the TR.
I have my seats for next years out bound trip to MCO, but too early to get the returns.
I now have to add the possibility of heading north to my options if it means an UC reward seat.

Dick D
#919663 by Hev60
06 Apr 2016, 12:47
hiljil wrote:Thank you for the TR. I read it with great interest as I have been considering using SRQ - but after your experiences I am reconsidering ! Whilst leaving from SRQ could be so convenient for me , if the rest of the journey is more stressful & tiring then a direct flight home again seems , for me, overall the better option.

Glad you had a good time on lovely Longboat Key.

Hiljil - Thought it is worth mentioning to you that Delta operate a number of flights from SRQ to Altanta and I am sure we will consider this option in the future if UC is available.

I must admit on the day we travelled, it was only our flight which was delayed and like I said the Orlando flights are notorious for delays. I hate driving back to there, even if it means not getting a direct flight home.

SRQ was a lovely airport and I think our problems stemmed because of flying into JFK which was apparently affected by bad weather. Like Dickydotcom said a few weeks ago, those northeast airports are risky to use as connections during the winter months.
#919665 by Hev60
06 Apr 2016, 12:52
[quote="dickydotcom"]Thanks for the TR.
I have my seats for next years out bound trip to MCO, but too early to get the returns.
I now have to add the possibility of heading north to my options if it means an UC reward seat.

Dick D[/quote

So out of interest how does that work. Have you just purchased one-way M fare tickets which you've upgraded? Would have thought that was expensive ? Hev
#919666 by Hev60
06 Apr 2016, 12:56
dickydotcom wrote:Thanks for the TR.

Dick D

So out of interest how does that work. Have you just purchased one-way M fare tickets which you've upgraded? Would have thought that was expensive ? Hev
#919669 by hiljil
06 Apr 2016, 13:26
Hev60 wrote:
Hiljil - Thought it is worth mentioning to you that Delta operate a number of flights from SRQ to Altanta and I am sure we will consider this option in the future if UC is available.

I must admit on the day we travelled, it was only our flight which was delayed and like I said the Orlando flights are notorious for delays. I hate driving back to there, even if it means not getting a direct flight home.

SRQ was a lovely airport and I think our problems stemmed because of flying into JFK which was apparently affected by bad weather. Like Dickydotcom said a few weeks ago, those northeast airports are risky to use as connections during the winter months.

Thanks for that, Hev60. :-D
Virgin Atlantic