#919796 by Sealink
09 Apr 2016, 16:42
Hannover. A few people felt that this was a poor choice for a weekend break, that I should have maybe picked somewhere a bit more interesting.

And maybe they were right. I picked Hannover because it fitted in with my workday perfectly, being the last BA European departure on a Friday night, affording two long days in the city. What would they city hold?

I finished work at 4.30pm on Friday and headed to Bond Street. My route was going to be via the Piccadilly Line, but I got that moment where… I just couldn’t be bothered. Realizing that getting to Paddington required a painless cross-platform change at Baker Street ALERT! This option is now not available, as Bakerloo Trains no longer stop at Paddington Station. Stops will resume mid-August I once again found myself on the Heathrow Express.

At £22/£30 a pop it’s insanely expensive, but it’s so faaaaast! And easy.
And the “Business First” seats are easily the most comfortable seats I have sat in on any UK train. What they are like after two hours I can’t say, but it was the thought of that seat that made me book.

NB: I bought the tickets online at Paddington Station to avail of some BA Avios, and the ticket was downloaded to Apple Wallet. Pretty impressive.

But for thirty-freaking-quid (USD 43) I’d expect more than a copy of the freebie Time Out and an FT.

Still, travelling BA I had the Galleries lounge to look forward to.
I used the Fastrak security entrance near Boots and arrived at an empty queue! For 6pm on a Friday night I was impressed with that and was through in about 60 seconds.

I had tried the Galleries Lounge just by security, have tried the one at the satellite, so now it was the last T5 BA lounge that awaited my visit.

Oh my, what an absolute pain to get to.
Down escalators, through the crowds, nope, still a bit further. Now up an escalator. Now turn right to, what’s this? First Class lounge? Now directed towards the Concorde Room, but turn right again, up more escalators and finally to the Galleries Club lounge. And I have to do this all in reverse to get to my gate?! I think I see why Plain Food does so well…

My first impressions, after finally getting there were good. It was very spacious and there were lots of free seats and different nooks and corners to sit.

I didn’t touch much of the food, and only managed one G&T.

Mainly though, it was nice to sit away from the hustle and bustle of Terminal 5.

Toilets were a bit worse for wear.

I headed to the gate and just waited. And man I was tired. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. My day had started at 5.30am and I was still on the go 15 hours later.

Boarding was announced and it was the usual Club Europe / Gold / Silver / Bronze etc. No waiting about on the jet bridge and I was soon in a quite uncomfortable Club Europe seat.

There was a sweet left on the middle table (just in the bottom left).

Obligatory legroom shot.

A few views of the cabin

Dinner was served. A feta cheese salad. A bit salty but surprisingly tasty.

Crew was lovely - serving four of us in Club Europe.

Another bottle of fizz…

And then straight to Hannover.

From the aircraft to the arrivals hall took 2 minutes.

A few moments later I was on the S-Bahn heading to town.

And off to the hotel for the night.
#919806 by dickydotcom
10 Apr 2016, 07:14
As always, a great TR. The pictures make it.
People sometimes ask this question of our holiday photos as well,
"Why are there no people in them?"
Were you the only one on the train?
Dick D
#919809 by buns
10 Apr 2016, 08:01
Sealink

Thanks for another great TR - brought to life with such good pics :)

All these reports you ate doing are stating to make me have a quick jaunt on the dark side :cool:

Buns
#919813 by marshy11
10 Apr 2016, 08:47
buns wrote:Sealink

All these reports you ate doing are stating to make me have a quick jaunt on the dark side :cool:

Buns

I've been hooked with these TR's and the amazing photos. So much so, we've booked a cheeky weekend in Milan in 2 weeks time. There are some very good breaks on BAHols at the moment. We're saving for a 2-4-1 so the boost to the Avios is also most welcome.

Sealink, you've cost me!
#919857 by Sealink
10 Apr 2016, 22:12
marshy11 wrote:
buns wrote:Sealink

Buns

I've been hooked with these TR's and the amazing photos. So much so, we've booked a cheeky weekend in Milan in 2 weeks time. There are some very good breaks on BAHols at the moment. We're saving for a 2-4-1 so the boost to the Avios is also most welcome.

Sealink, you've cost me!

Hehe. Thank you!

BA holidays prices can be pretty amazing sometimes!
Virgin Atlantic