#254917 by miopyk
20 Jun 2008, 20:04
My current iBook is nearly 3 years old and it's starting to get a bit clunky (not helped by the fact I dropped it a few moths ago) so I've been thinking of changing it.

I've noticed a good deal at http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/ where I can get a 2.4GHZ Mac Book for 705 which is a saving of about 124 on the UK price and is comparible with the converted US price after tax. In addition Dixons are offering 12 months interest free credit.

Thing is I would have to buy it at Heathrow and take it with me to LA as although they will deliver it while we are away I'm not keen on this. I was thinking of getting one in the States anyway so this isn't such a big deal but ultimately I'm wondering if this is the best deal I'm likely to get.

So would you buy one using this method or not?

Miopyk[8D][8D]
#446325 by Darren Wheeler
20 Jun 2008, 20:07
personally I wouldn't buy an AA battery from Dixon....
#446333 by Kraken
20 Jun 2008, 21:28
I agree with Darren - I would not buy anything from Dixons personally.

That said, if the price they're offering the Mac Book at is comparable to the USA (after tax + exchange rate), then it may be worth a shot - especially if you want to use their interest free payment offer. Also, if Mac Books have different keyboards based on the region they are sold in, then at least you get a UK keyboard buying it here. (I'm not familiar with Apple Mac's). More than a few people at work have got [personal] Windows laptops with the ' and @ symbols in the wrong place - which indicates that it was almost certainly bought abroad [normally in the USA] and probably entered the UK through the green channel in luggage [:w].
#446335 by Darren Wheeler
20 Jun 2008, 21:36
Originally posted by Kraken
More than a few people at work have got [personal] Windows laptops with the ' and @ symbols in the wrong place - which indicates that it was almost certainly bought abroad [normally in the USA] and probably entered the UK through the green channel in luggage [:w].

OT - Strange. My MacBook ordered from Apple UK has the @ in the 2 key and the ' on the ' key....
#446339 by phantomtwin
20 Jun 2008, 23:10
I'm with the rest of the guys when it comes to (not) buying from DSG.

And my macbook is also keyboard configured as Darren describes and was bought in the UK.

I think I'd be inclined to go direct to Apple or if John Lewis are still offering a free 2nd year warranty on notebooks, to them.

A
#446355 by baloobear
21 Jun 2008, 11:17
Having friends who worked at DSG they remind of the Ratners that was, so I would head to John Lewis or Apple direct...
#446367 by mitchja
21 Jun 2008, 12:23
If you buy via Apple UK online, you can also earn 4% cashback via Quidco (ex. the VAT though)

Regards
#446393 by Tinkerbelle
21 Jun 2008, 17:38
Dixons is the same company as PC World - nuff said.
#447015 by David Glickman
29 Jun 2008, 18:38
I would buy it from John Lewis as you get an extra years guarantee thrown in for free.
#447633 by miopyk
04 Jul 2008, 10:27
Morning all from the LHR Clubhouse.

OK so I've completely ignored all your advice and bought a 2.4Ghz MacBook from Dixons in T3 this morning. The deal was £705 less the £10 discount voucher VS were giving away with online check in. I then put down a £100 deposit and have to pay £25 a month interest free over the next 12 month then pay off the balance + a £15 early settlement fee. So I've saved about £120 off the UK price which is roughly what I think I would have paid in the States.

The guy I dealt with was really helpful and not at all pushy which was a nice change. I am now typing this on my new purchase and initial thoughts are that it is a definite step upwards from my old G4.

It's covered for 12 month but if I'm feeling nervous I can buy the Apple cover package so all in all I'm happy.

Best bit is I can go to the Apple shop in Santa Monica tomorrow and buy some goodies to make my new purchase even more special.

See you soon.

Miopyk[8D]
#447676 by JAT74L
04 Jul 2008, 19:51
As someone who's never owned or operated a Mac before - is the switch very difficult? I like the look of them and am considering replacing my home PC with a high end laptop.

John
#447679 by HighFlyer
04 Jul 2008, 20:06
Originally posted by JAT74L
As someone who's never owned or operated a Mac before - is the switch very difficult? I like the look of them and am considering replacing my home PC with a high end laptop.

I guess it depends what programs you most rely on with regards to your PC? There will be a Mac equivalent for most programs, and if you are still not entirely sure on leaving Windows you can always use Boot Camp or Parallels so that you can have a Windows environment on your Mac during the transition stage.

Probably the best thing you can do is get yourself to a store that sell Macs and have a play. There is an Apple store in Glasgow, and the staff there should be able to assist you in terms of giving you a quick 101 on how to use a Mac and what programs installed natively on the Mac will replicate the programs you use in Windows.

For me, given you can run Windows and Mac on a Mac, i cant see the negative (other than the cost of the hardware). [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#447681 by Darren Wheeler
04 Jul 2008, 20:22
I sort of made the switch end of last year and after a few teething trouble and the occasional defaulting to 'Windows mode' it has gone rather well.
#447682 by n/a
04 Jul 2008, 20:23
I can haz macburgerz.

GJ
#447691 by mcmbenjamin
04 Jul 2008, 22:16
Originally posted by GrinningJackanapes
I can haz macburgerz.

GJ

Please clarify? Did McDonald's and Apple enter into a joint marketing deal?
#447702 by Scrooge
04 Jul 2008, 23:45
Originally posted by JAT74L

John

Cool, we can turn this into another MAC v PC argument again....the broad answer when it comes to laptops is unless it is a MacBook pro stick to a PC based laptop.....Of course if you go for a MacBook you ca always load a copy of windows onto it....

The other thing to think about is what you are using it for, if you game in anyway then go for the MacBook pro as it has a far better video card than anything south of an alienware.
Virgin Atlantic