#447758 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
05 Jul 2008, 22:04
Originally posted by Scrooge
Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Sadly this is the state of the retail environment. Too may no-nothing trying to sell stuff that requires a little knowledge. Try walking into you local B&Q, ask a slightly complicated question or ask for something not on the shelves. The replies will make anyone who remembers proper hardware shops fall to their knees and weep.

Paul, fix your shop please, there's a good chap [y]

Originally posted by mitchja

From what I remember AOL are different than other ISP's in that they use their own mail and connection protocols. I believe you have to install the latest version of AOL software too before you can connect unlike other ISP's that dont need any special software.

Regards

[y]

Originally posted by sixdownkeepsafedepth
Actually the trick is not to install any AOL specific software and just connect using your normal web browser.

Regards
Bryan

[y][y]

Well close, the trick is to uninstall the pre-installed AOL software, do a reg cleaning then do a search, get something like filescrubber and use it to delete the folder that is hiding somewhere, then do another eg cleaning...come back in two months to make sure that the AOL folder has no reappeared...the same holds true for quicktime [}:)]

Who said any AOL software was pre installed? But you are right that lil old folder that hides itself away does need deleting. When you return as you suggest to make sure the folder has not reappeared...... Spookily you will have to go through the same process again!!!!! AOL don't ya just love em![y][y][y]

More regards
Bryan
#447764 by easygoingeezer
05 Jul 2008, 22:43
Originally posted by HighFlyer
There are instruction booklets that come inside the Mac OS disc box (if i remember correctly - I'm one of those 'don't read manuals' people) so there shouldnt be a loose booklet in the box. You'll get the instructions when you get your Mac, though i appreciate it doesnt help you now.

Yes, you can both have your iTunes accounts on the Mac (i believe the various options were covered when you asked the question some time ago, but i cant find the thread). When you ask if it works with AOL, do you mean as in an Internet Service Provider? If so, then yes, it wont matter who you get t'internet from, it will work with a Mac or PC.

Thankis,
Sarah

Thanks, I remember asking about duel accounts on a windows pc a good few months ago and you helped me then, this being apple and my first one I wasn't sure.

Appreciate your help as ever.

I have a netgear DG834N which is quite good I hope this works.
#447804 by easygoingeezer
06 Jul 2008, 19:23
Sorry to double post.

Has anyone ever managed to transfer their ipod and iphone libraries from a windows pc to an apple laptop, or do I need to start over again? I have learned that Windows won't recognise the music from an applemac but the info on the apple website doesn't seem clear on the other way around windows to apple.

My ipod says its windows configured but apparantly I can reconfigure this to applemac?

Bit confused really lol.[:I][:?]
#447807 by mitchja
06 Jul 2008, 20:01
All you need to do is back-up your iTunes library to recordable DVD using the file/backup to disk option in iTunes.

When you connect you iPod to the new lap-top it will probably wipe it and start again.

Do a library restore on the new lap-top before connecting your iPod using the back-up DVD. You will then also have to re-authorise any purchased items by clicking on them and entering your iTunes account username and password.

Regards
#447808 by Decker
06 Jul 2008, 20:05
VAIOs... grrr

Engineer out AGAIN this monday 'cos my shift and ctrl keys are not working. This after ANOTHER set of hinge replacements and a keyboard swap out. To those who ask - if it's so bad why not replace it with something else... because it is capitalised over three years AND I paid for three years on site next day warranty and I want to make sure it costs Sony the most amount of money possible for the sheer CRAPNESS that is their after sales service. At EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE opportunity they have tried to reinvent their warranty with the line 'physical damage is not covered' and then trying to say that whatever is wrong with your machine is physical damage. When you ask for the part of the warranty that says that 'physical damage is not covered' they switch into BS mode as the only mention of physical damage in MY UK warranty is physical damage to the LCD.

Next machine will be a Lenovo or a Mac
#447969 by easygoingeezer
08 Jul 2008, 11:18
My Macbook hasn't arrived yet, just noticed on my receipt that pc world has charged me £9.95 for delivary and packaging and I am collecting it from store[:0], they just told me thats standard if its not in stock because the warehouse is a long way away, I said to him 'so your asking me to pay for you to get your own stock, he just said yup thats how it works'[B)]
also because I have a business account they are expemt from trading standards and fit for purpose law......lesson don't get a business account with pc-world.
#447979 by HighFlyer
08 Jul 2008, 12:13
Originally posted by easygoingeezer
lesson don't get a business account with pc-world.

More like, dont do any business with PC World [:p] See here for one of my favourite online videos.

Thanks,
Sarah
#448002 by easygoingeezer
08 Jul 2008, 21:20
Got my mac, I ruddy love it, its awsome what was I thinking not getting one of these sooner
so fast so pretty so fabulous just like me.

Still learning, just need to find out how to get my photo's and playlists on to itunes before I connect my iphone and ipod to it.
#448010 by HighFlyer
08 Jul 2008, 21:37
Do you need to migrate your photos to your Mac from the PC? Or just into iTunes from iPhoto?

Thanks,
Sarah
#448013 by easygoingeezer
08 Jul 2008, 21:58
I have managed to move my feature films over and my music ( not my playlists though? ) just this moment put about 800 pics on iphoto but to be honest not sure what that does, its all very exiting isn't it.
#448012 by easygoingeezer
08 Jul 2008, 21:58
I have managed to move my feature films over and my music ( not my playlists though? ) just this moment put about 800 pics on iphoto but to be honest not sure what that does, its all very exiting isn't it.
#448019 by Darren Wheeler
08 Jul 2008, 22:24
I'd send it back if I were you.

It's double posting.... [;)]

I have to admit that this time last year I'd have laughed at buying a MacBook, but now I have really got into it. Initially I had lots of problems with KP's and it just locking up but a clean install resolved that although very occasionally a DVD will cause one. Just looking to upgrade the HD to something a lot more meaty. I still use my own-built Vista 64-bit as it has much more storage etc. I have even managed to crack the talking to each other.
#448052 by easygoingeezer
09 Jul 2008, 13:47
Just like to thank all those that gave me some advice, I love my macbook to bits already had it one day and wonder where I will be without it.

Got all my itunes moved over for the ipod and the iphone, piece of cake, even the movies that I rather naughtilly copied from cd.

I am sure this thing does loads of stuff that I havn't found yet, I am goint to try learn howe to make a ringtone for my iphone.

Thanks again, as ever you ask a grown up question on here and you get a positive response...cheers.
#448065 by easygoingeezer
09 Jul 2008, 14:50
Sorry to double post.

Can anyone link me to the magsafe thing that plugs straight in to the suite and then in to your mac, I can read about it but when I look for buying one its not the small one its the one with the car adapter as well.

Just after the airline power adapter for mac.
#448088 by HighFlyer
09 Jul 2008, 20:35
You mean the Magsafe Airline Adapter

I have one of these and while they are not cheap they are pretty neat. A tiny cable (with no huge brick list most of the PC equivalents) and works perfectly with the Empower onboard.

Thanks,
Sarah
#448092 by easygoingeezer
09 Jul 2008, 21:14
MMmmmm although everything is transferred over I now can't buy new stuff on my mac for itunes, what did I do wrong?
Virgin Atlantic