#255066 by simplydannywan
02 Jul 2008, 01:44
Hey everyone im thinking on get a macbook?
But i dont know which one to get? Im planning on gettin it in Hong Kong with the student discount.

macbook the black version which has 250gb - >700

or da macbook pro 200gb >880

Thank you

mcmbenjamin moved to Travel Technology 02/07/08
#447264 by mcmbenjamin
02 Jul 2008, 04:09
Good sir, I suggest you aquire the the MacBook Pro. It is a better deal.
#447953 by woggledog
08 Jul 2008, 05:28
Macbook pro. Several reasons:
Illuminated keyboard
Bigger screen
expresscard slot
dedicated graphics and
multi touch pad
#447960 by HighFlyer
08 Jul 2008, 10:15
Having had both, I'd agree with the others and say that if you can, stretch to the extra £180 for the MacbookPro!

Thanks,
Sarah
#447999 by Scrooge
08 Jul 2008, 20:51
The Pro, anything lower than that get's trounced by PC windows based notebooks.
#448000 by griffog
08 Jul 2008, 20:56
Not entirely fair. I have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook. For most stuff the MacBook is more than capable. I use an MBP because I need the larger screen and processing for Dreamweaver and Photoshop but if your main usage is web, mail, office productivity apps then the MacBook is well up to the job and is still superior to most Windoes based devices as well as more reliable!
#448008 by HighFlyer
08 Jul 2008, 21:35
Sorry Scrooge, have to agree with griffog here. As a Macbook owner myself I am happy to sing its praises. I can easily run web and mail as well as one or two vitual machines in Parallels on my little Macbook with no trouble at all.

Thanks,
Sarah
#448015 by Scrooge
08 Jul 2008, 22:09
Sorry, but for the price of a MacBook you can get an Acer Travelmate 5720 which has a larger screen, more ram, a larger hard drive and a faster processor. Also the Macbook has two USB ports and one firewire port, which happens to be blocked if you use the mini DVI output.

However the battery life on the Macbook is better than most PC notebooks...of course with the specs it should be.
#448016 by Scrooge
08 Jul 2008, 22:13
Also, I am not sure about UK prices, but comparing them to US prices the Mac pro is a steal....It would almost be worth it for me to fly to HKG and pick one up...as long as I didn't stay in a hotel for the night [:p]
#448020 by HighFlyer
08 Jul 2008, 22:33
Originally posted by Scrooge
Sorry, but for the price of a MacBook you can get an Acer Travelmate 5720 which has a larger screen, more ram, a larger hard drive and a faster processor.

Not trying to turn this into a debate at all, but i still maintain that its kind of apples and pears as you do not need the same level of RAM and processing power to run a Mac as you do a Windows O/S.

Totally agree with you on the HKG prices though, they are a bargain.

Thanks,
Sarah
#448071 by simplydannywan
09 Jul 2008, 16:12
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback.

I will be mainly using it for surfing the web, school work, MSN etc.

The white Macbook 120gb is around £506
160gb is around £611
The black one is 250gb at around £706.

Is it worth getting the black one?

But I like the black version (feel guilty for getting it considering it costs a bit more, could always save the money to get a Wii instead)

P.S. it would be good if Apple made the Macbook Air with at least 120gb
#448084 by Scrooge
09 Jul 2008, 20:08
Originally posted by HighFlyer
Sorry, but for the price of a MacBook you can get an Acer Travelmate 5720 which has a larger screen, more ram, a larger hard drive and a faster processor.

Not trying to turn this into a debate at all, but i still maintain that its kind of apples and pears as you do not need the same level of RAM and processing power to run a Mac as you do a Windows O/S.

Totally agree with you on the HKG prices though, they are a bargain.

Thanks,
Sarah

Not a debate at all [:I] simply stating cold hard facts, if you can get a copy pick up this months Maximum PC where they put the 3 levels of Macbooks against PC notebooks and benchmark the heck out of them.

The fact that they say that a MacBook Pro is better than a high end notebook is kind of telling that it is a good magazine that is unbiased...

However, for the most part OS X is better than vista, that is a given.
#448089 by HighFlyer
09 Jul 2008, 20:47
We dont get Maximum PC here, though I'd be interested in seeing the article to see how they are benchmarking as its a complex situation when you cross platforms. I'm not totally Mac positive (heck, I'm a Linux person myself), I am just intrigued as to what they are measuring against as I've read benchmark reports that swing heavily towards both sides of the argument, dependant on what they are actually measuring and how.

Thanks,
Sarah
#448105 by Scrooge
10 Jul 2008, 01:18
Well that sucks, give it about a month or so and they will post the article on their website (another thing I like about the mag) and I will throw a link up to it,a quick run down of the apps used is...

Premier Pro CS3 [min:sec]
Photoshop CS3 [min:sec]
ProShow [min:sec]
Mainconcept [min:sec]
Fear [FPS]
Quake [FPS]
Battery rundown [hrs:mins]

Then there is subjective stuff like screen colours etc.
#448136 by Pete
10 Jul 2008, 11:08
You know, I heard it was possible to buy different brands of cars and some cost more than others.

Personally I like that reassuring clunk you hear when closing a BMW door. YMMV.
#448145 by Scrooge
10 Jul 2008, 11:56
Pete ....sir....dude....Let me ask you this then...do YOU own a BMW ?
#448146 by HighFlyer
10 Jul 2008, 12:12
Pete ....sir....dude....Let me ask you this then...do YOU own a BMW ?

Ouch!

Thanks,
Sarah
#448153 by Scrooge
10 Jul 2008, 12:46
[:I] I could off course take that line of thinking one stage further and say that Mac owners wish to be BMW owners....but that's insulting Mac owners....

Disclaimer: For those of you new to the site the PC v MAC subject comes up a couple of times a year, I am bored of it, so I figure let's start on BMW's ?
#448158 by Neil
10 Jul 2008, 12:59
Disclaimer: For those of you new to the site the PC v MAC subject comes up a couple of times a year, I am bored of it, so I figure let's start on BMW's ?

We have already had a discussion about BMW v Audi a while back which was quite fun, so it's not just Mac V PC, which I find very interesting actually as I am considering a Mac when I change later this year, so more discussion I say[:)]
#448161 by Darren Wheeler
10 Jul 2008, 13:19
Originally posted by Neil

We have already had a discussion about BMW v Audi a while back which was quite fun, so it's not just Mac V PC, which I find very interesting actually as I am considering a Mac when I change later this year, so more discussion I say[:)]

Now there's an incentive to change back to a PC or move to Linux.[:D]
#448173 by HighFlyer
10 Jul 2008, 14:54
The day Neil gets a Mac, I may have to move back to Windows [:o]

Thanks,,
Sarah
#448176 by Neil
10 Jul 2008, 15:02
Originally posted by HighFlyer
The day Neil gets a Mac, I may have to move back to Windows [:o]

Thanks,,
Sarah

This is SO unfair. Why? [:(!]

I have read everything on here and lots of others sites over the last couple of months and think that a Mac is the way to go for me, what is so wrong with that? I am a young, hip, with it guy (well kind of) so the perfect Mac customer.

You are all horrible people[;)][:w]
#448184 by Scrooge
10 Jul 2008, 15:34
Yes you are Neil, when I think Mac you pop up in my mind...Now back to my PC.
Virgin Atlantic