#255131 by mitchja
07 Jul 2008, 10:32
From 8am this morning O2 are now taking orders online for the new 3G iPhone. Delivery to be Friday 11th.

They only look to be selling the contract version so far including the new 30 tariff (which offers 75 mins and 125 texts) and it's limited to one per customer.

The 8Gb iPhone is 99 on the 30 and 35 tariffs and free on the 45 and 75 tariff.

The 16Gb iPhone is 159 on the 30 and 35 tariffs or 59 on the 45 tariff or free on the 75 tariff.

Link

Regards
#447851 by Pete
07 Jul 2008, 10:52
Erm, given the O2 upgrade site is in meltdown, I think describing it as 'taking orders' is stretching it a little. I tried the process several times, but because their server is being bashed to buggery, it's almost impossible to complete the multi-step order form without it failing on you at some point. Now it's just displaying a maintenance page.

How to get maximum frustration out of your customers...
#447853 by fozzyo
07 Jul 2008, 11:00
Wonder how flexible they will be to existing customers. Mobile companies is now all about retention, there aren't many new customers to be had. I can either go Crackberry or continue my relationship with O2 if they give me a decent price / tariff which they have previously. I'm still in contract at the moment so when its all calmed down I'll give them a call and talk to someone to see what they say.

Mat
#447854 by Wolves27
07 Jul 2008, 11:01
Well I rang up this morning and I can upgrade on the 19th July, earlier than expected.

Still I'm now wondering if I really want a phone that keeps downloading my business emails when I really could do with getting away from them from time to time [:)]
#447855 by easygoingeezer
07 Jul 2008, 11:04
What a bunch of donkey wipes, we register as intructed and then have to stress out trying to get on line with them just to pay exactly the same as new customers whome incidentally can quite happily order the 3g without a problem.
#447873 by jaguarpig
07 Jul 2008, 13:04
I am quite happy with the old one[8D]
#447874 by mitchja
07 Jul 2008, 13:13
The O2 online order system is back up (for new customers anyway), but they now only look to be offering the 8Gb version.

More or less decided I'm getting one here.

Just going to wait here and see if Quidco come up with any offers. So far they offer the standard O2 cashback offer which is £35 for all contracts taken out.

The PAYG version of the iPhone wont be available until later this year according to O2.

Regards
#447878 by easygoingeezer
07 Jul 2008, 14:04
Seems NO ONE is going to get one today at least, the customer forum on O2 itself have a running comentary of frustrated customers.

I am a little suprized they can't just put a message up saying the sites broken, every time one tries you get to a different and new stage only to be kicked back to a blank screen.

Not very professional is it, glad I am not working the O2 callcentre today though I understand they are just cutting the calls off after they are held for an hour.

Not sure why they bothered to text everyone at 7.59 when the site was buggered anyway, nor why we werew invited to register our interest and they they text every o2 customer irrespective.
#447879 by mitchja
07 Jul 2008, 14:06
Just ordered one here [:D]

Just watch a great big Quidco cashback offer turn up now [:w]

£35 cashback is better than nothing [:)]

Regards
#447890 by easygoingeezer
07 Jul 2008, 16:18
Well after trying all day there arn't any left, so much for the register your interest and to thank you for your custom crud.

Apparantly you can go and upgrade in store ( according to customer services ) on Friday, unfortunately the carphone warehouse and O2 stores have been given instructions only to sell to new customers and sell non to existing customers....for three months.
#447904 by Pete
07 Jul 2008, 19:03
After the whole online thing went tits-up today, and the bad press O2 are getting, well, everywhere, O2 have apparently sent a communication out to all store managers to allow existing iPhone users to upgrade in store on Friday (and they have a separate allocation of stock to the online stuff, which has all gone already).

Personally I'm tempted to skip this upgrade given the poor way it's been handled, and the very good chance there'll be an iPhone V3.0 in the next 18 months, and I don't fancy jumping through O2 hoops for what is more likely to be a significant upgrade. I'll get the V2 firmware features anyway, and 3G and GPS are not as big as motivators.
#447916 by buns
07 Jul 2008, 20:46
Originally posted by Pete
After the whole online thing went tits-up today, and the bad press O2 are getting, well, everywhere, O2 have apparently sent a communication out to all store managers to allow existing iPhone users to upgrade in store on Friday (and they have a separate allocation of stock to the online stuff, which has all gone already).

Personally I'm tempted to skip this upgrade given the poor way it's been handled, and the very good chance they'll be an iPhone V3.0 in the next 18 months, and I don't fancy jumping through O2 hoops for what is more likely to be a significant upgrade. I'll get the V2 firmware features anyway, and 3G and GPS are not as big as motivators.

I will take the advice of my guru[:w] and hold off until the rush subsides

Having thought it through, I am inclined towards the PAYG option and the monthly fee for the internet access, so i guess that I will have had to wait anyway

buns
#447937 by DragonLady
07 Jul 2008, 22:22
Originally posted by jaguarpig
I am quite happy with the old one[8D]

Me too (well Dragonbaby is anyway). I did register intrest for the 3G as an existing customer but IMHO it's just not worth the aggro at the moment trying to upgrade.
#447967 by easygoingeezer
08 Jul 2008, 11:13
My Carphone warehouse shop is expecting a grand total of 16 units on friday...full stop.
#447968 by Darren Wheeler
08 Jul 2008, 11:16
Sounds like another case of not anticipating demand and launching before the stocks are avaialble.
#447971 by mitchja
08 Jul 2008, 11:42
Not sure how much truth there is in this but apparently O2/CPW sold their entire 250,000 online allocation of 3G iPhones in a little over 4 hours yesterday.

That's 1041 sales per minute or 17 sales per second [:0]

Regards
#447977 by easygoingeezer
08 Jul 2008, 12:10
Originally posted by mitchja
Not sure how much truth there is in this but apparently O2/CPW sold their entire 250,000 online allocation of 3G iPhones in a little over 4 hours yesterday.

That's 1041 sales per minute or 17 sales per second [:0]

Regards

Hard to believe really considering the site was down/innoperable two or three minutes after 8am, I had four people trying on 4 seperate computers for 6 hours, the maths just don't add up. Also I have heard no one on any related forum say they have received a confirmation email for those few that got past the 'acceptance or order' stage online.

This is clearly a damage limitation thing for o2.
#447981 by mitchja
08 Jul 2008, 12:21
I did get an order number, I can also see my order using O2's online order tracking system (it's showing as 'in progress') and they have charged my debit card, though as you say, no email yet.

Regards
#447982 by easygoingeezer
08 Jul 2008, 12:31
I did get an order number, I can also see my order using O2's online order tracking system (it's showing as 'in progress') and they have charged my debit card, though as you say, no email yet.

Regards

Looks like you are the only lucky one, hope it comes.The CPW near my office say they will reserve one out of their 16 for me but that they don't yet know how they are going to do the upgrade.
#448076 by mitchja
09 Jul 2008, 16:58
Well everything has gone through OK here.

Order status now showing as 'completed'. My 02 online account has been set-up, an O2 phone number issued (which I will be porting in my existing number from V Mobile anyway as they have now issued me a PAC) and I now also have a delivery tracking number [:)]

Regards
#448083 by buns
09 Jul 2008, 20:04
Well everything has gone through OK here.

Order status now showing as 'completed'. My 02 online account has been set-up, an O2 phone number issued (which I will be porting in my existing number from V Mobile anyway as they have now issued me a PAC) and I now also have a delivery tracking number [:)]

Regards

Well done James - I hope all turns out well for you.

Looks like we will have to rely on your for the first 'Trip Report'[:D][:D]

buns
#448219 by Darren Wheeler
11 Jul 2008, 08:42
Went past my local O2 shop and there was a queue at 5am, if one person is a queue? It looked like someone had dragged their mum or granny down to sit and be first. She looked rather confused by it all. Lawks!!!
#448228 by Pete
11 Jul 2008, 11:27
I went into Reading today and picked one up from the O2 store. There was a bit of a queue, but the main problem was the speed of service - think their internal systems were suffering the same issues their website did on Monday.
#448229 by mitchja
11 Jul 2008, 11:59
Still waiting for mine to be delivered here. It's 'out for delivery' according to DHL.

Dont forget, you will need version 7.7 of iTunes (which was released yesterday) to activate your new 3G iPhone. Some of the new Apple Apps look like fun and many are free too.

Anyone for an iPint or the app that turns you iPhone into one of those tilting Moo noise makers [:o)] [:w]

Regards
Virgin Atlantic