#255151 by northernhenry
09 Jul 2008, 10:01
Now, expect this will be controversial,

Have been PC owner for years/ home and work, (had Mac's back in Da early 90's The Classic in B&W!)
Home PC (Email,V-Flyer!, photo's & video) bits of printing for work etc)- No fancy number crunching/modelling, plus the usual add-on stuff (scanners/camera's/etc).

Imac 2.8Ghz 24' screen? Very tempting (to declutter the computer corner at home...)

Worry is compatability with Microsoft office documents, have heard there are some frustrating issues? & upgradability?
#448039 by Slipperman
09 Jul 2008, 10:51
Originally posted by northernhenry
Now, expect this will be controversial,

Yep, right up there with the 'does God exist' debate.

As you are just doing the basic stuff, both will be suitable. The 'Classic' major software runs on both (MS Office, Adobe etc.)

The reliabilty debates, style debates, upgradeability debates... if these are important then, sure, get additonal opionions.

Else, if the Mac looks classy, you like it and feel it's value for maney, go for it.
#448040 by griffog
09 Jul 2008, 11:09
My main desktop machine is a 24' iMac. I'm a Mac convert coming from a background working with PC's and Servers running Microosft. Started with a MacBook that I dual booted into XP for work, then quickly realised I was spending more and more time in Mac and very little in PC! Now apart from a Windows laptop for my daughter as her School is still resolutely MS based, we're all Mac.

I know that the PC/Mac debate will never die and Mac'o'philes tend to be rather evangelistic but I've seen both sides of the fence and find Mac's nicer to use, nicer in use, more reliable and better designed. They are also more expensive in some cases and with a more limited software choice but compatibility has never been an issue.

There are so many nice little touches that make you go WOW. When I upgraded from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro, all i had to do was connect the two via a firewire cable for all my data, profile, passwords, bookmarks etc to be copied over and this was all prompted from the first moment I switched the new laptop on. Ever seen that on a PC?
#448043 by northernhenry
09 Jul 2008, 12:52
Cheers Darren,

Yeah getting fed up with crashes,massive antivirus applications, program problems and generally cables running all over the place.

I Don't play fancy 3d games, and unlikely to be tinkering with Bios and overclocking (whatever that is).
As noted the only real area where there is some scepticism is the ability for it to accept/ export through MS office, Adobe programs (marketing blurb says yes, but reviews floating about say Nightmare!)
Also running a Samsung 12.5' laptop in Vista

NH
#448044 by northernhenry
09 Jul 2008, 13:03
Originally posted by Decker
Not really controversial

Hmm, see your point, all helpful stuff though in the decision making [:?]
#448047 by griffog
09 Jul 2008, 13:16
Originally posted by northernhenryAs noted the only real area where there is some scepticism is the ability for it to accept/ export through MS office, Adobe programs (marketing blurb says yes, but reviews floating about say Nightmare!

MS office is no issue, MS Office for Mac will open all the MS Format documents just fine. I used to use MS Office for Mac but finally expunged that too and use iWorks apps now. These will open .doc and .xls fine. If on the rare occasion I need to send someone a file in MS office format I ucan export from Pages or Numbers to .doc or .xls or I can save as a .pdf.

Not sure what you mean about Adobe programs? I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver and these are perfectly compatible?
#448049 by mitchja
09 Jul 2008, 13:19
At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference.

I recently choose a PC (Dell XPS 420) over an iMac because the PC offered me quite a lot more for less money.

Regards
#448051 by GreboDB
09 Jul 2008, 13:46
Light fuse and stand back....

If you have more money than sense, buy an Apple. More sense than money, buy a windows PC.[:0]

Just my opinion and a little tongue in cheek. [;)]

A lot of people knock Windows/Microsoft but I have 3 laptops (2 XP, 1 Vista) and 2 servers (SBS 2003 and Server 2008) and have very few issues. My brother is an Apple fan and I would never try and persuade him otherwise. But he has had a few problems with his Apples too so don't assume that buying an Apple means bug free operating system and applications!
#448053 by easygoingeezer
09 Jul 2008, 13:49
I am rather loveing my first ever mac that I got yesterday, I feel like a kid with a new toy, love it to bits.
#448056 by northernhenry
09 Jul 2008, 14:01
Originally posted by GreboDB
Light fuse and stand back....

If you have more money than sense, buy an Apple. More sense than money, buy a windows PC.[:0]

Just my opinion and a little tongue in cheek. [;)]

The fact you've got 3 laptops and 2 servers- tends to suggest you're more than your average Joe PC user...So slightly weighed towards Mr. Gates operating systems.... maybe [?]
#448057 by GreboDB
09 Jul 2008, 14:08
The fact you've got 3 laptops and 2 servers- tends to suggest you're more than your average Joe PC user...So slightly weighed towards Mr. Gates operating systems.... maybe [?]

True, I do like getting the hood up on the machines occasionally and I did build the servers myself. If I was not interested in the techie stuff, then maybe I would look at buying an apple. Will never know though!

p.s I am not knocking Apple, they are good looking (if expensive) pieces of kit and they get very good feedback for a lot of users.
#448059 by McCoy
09 Jul 2008, 14:20
I adore Mac styling and their ethos to design... but I need to be able to 'tinker' with my computer's innards, and that means Windows PCs is the only option.
#448066 by northernhenry
09 Jul 2008, 14:51
Looking at the apple site, and this bootcamp thingy. The option to run Windows is available should the need arise.. and yes I am drawn by the styling- may pressure us to create a smart tidy study (fat chance!) rather than a desk cluttered with cables, back-up disks, wires, etc

Will check out the apple store for a one-to-one chat
#448077 by MarkedMan
09 Jul 2008, 17:10
Well ... technically, you could go nuts and try to install Linux on a MacPro, and tinker all you want. But that is not usually why one would buy a Mac - though one time I checked you could actually get a MacPro cheaper than an HP or Dell product at very similar specs.

Bootcamp's pretty nifty - my folks run a number of windows-only apps, one especially is a pretty heavy-going app, but bootcamp has a small footprint and you don't really notice significant performance hits on Macs. Application availability is no longer an issue. In fact, you can go crazy and try Darwine ...

In the end, the hardware ... no different than what I have on my x86 XP Laptop, really. The OS, it's Unix/Linux with bells on. The bells, the design, is what it's about.
#448425 by northernhenry
14 Jul 2008, 11:16
Taken the big leap forward (hopefully & not backwards). New Imac and a Macbook having data transferred from PC/ laptops today.

The whole concept of switching it on and it works is extremely appealling, plus not having to wait half-an-hour for the thing to 'boot-up',etc etc.
Virgin Atlantic